Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I had ES surgery today.......

Posted by Essence on 8/18/00 at 21:34 (025782)

I wrote this at 9:30 (cent), and so far so good. I had pain when I first woke up after the operation. Will more pain come after the numb feeling goes away? Since I have pf in my left foot also, do you think my doctor will fix that one any time soon? I have an appointment next Friday. Thanks for any comments.

Re: I had ES surgery today.......

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 00:48 (025789)

I could also feel some pain after the operation, but it wasn't bad. The doc said the pain might increase after the local anathesia wore off (about 6 hours later), but I had no increase in pain. Just a steady decrease daily. I iced my foot by placing it inside 3 freezer ziploc bags and immersing it, up to my ankle, in a bucket of ice water every few hours for the first week. The bandage was too thick to ice it any other way. Elevate it as much as possible. About your other foot... Since you just got one done, wait & see if you like the results. I had both done at once. If I had done my worst foot first, based on my good results, I would have gone ahead with the second anyway. But you have given yourself the luxury of waiting, which can't hurt.

Re: Thanks for the repy T. Hurst Also my toes are...

essence on 8/19/00 at 04:33 (025795)

I think the only pain I feel now is in my back! I have slept so much since my surgery. s it common to have numb toes?

Re: Wishing You A Speedy Recovery!!

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:12 (025814)

Hello Essence, I know nothing about surgery (yet). But I wish you the best with your recovery. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and mind the docs. At the top of the message board, you can type in something like endoscopic surgery, and it will pull up different people's messages relating to the topic. Should be quite a lot of reading, but hey, it will help pass the recovery time, right? it may help you understand the different things you will go through during healing. Best wishes.

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:17 (025815)

T. hurst, you said you had both feet operated on at the same time.
Are you just naturally brave (or that other word), or were you just in such pain you wanted out?
How are you doing now? Was your surgery a success? Sounds like it was.

Re: What is?....I had ES surgery today.......

Sue R on 8/19/00 at 12:43 (025818)

What is ES surgery...anybody? I did a search and found nothing. Sorry for my ignorance!

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:47 (025822)

Oops, everyone, I am sorry, I just assumed essence meant Endoscopic Surgery. Sorry if I misspoke in my message, essence.

Re: Numb toes

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 14:53 (025824)

I got numb toes just from elevating my feet, since the blood drains out of them. That's normal. It makes sleeping with your feet elevated very difficult. I would often have to wake up & walk around at night to get some blood back in them!

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 14:59 (025825)

Salina - I did both feet at once because I found a great surgeon & I am about to change jobs and insurance. I wanted him to do both. My right was much worse than my left, but my left continued to worsen even through conservative treatment. It took a year out of my life to get to the point where all my docs/insurance would agree to do it. I can't imagine giving up another year to go thru it again for my left foot. My only concern was whether doing both would compromise the healing process. My doc said no, as I would still be able to walk with both done at once. He was right and I'm glad I did both. I guess if you are extremely patient and don't mind an extra year of pain, it would be wiser to wait. But...had I waited and done the right foot first, I would have still gone ahead with the left.

Oh - check out my surgery posts on that message board. I try to update it every couple weeks.

Re: What do you mean by ES Surgery?

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 17:42 (025830)

Hi Essence, Can you explain a little more about what ES Surger is?

Get Well Soon,

Kim B.

john h on 8/19/00 at 19:38 (025839)

sue regardless of what the others post ES is 'Extra Special'!

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 00:48 (025789)

I could also feel some pain after the operation, but it wasn't bad. The doc said the pain might increase after the local anathesia wore off (about 6 hours later), but I had no increase in pain. Just a steady decrease daily. I iced my foot by placing it inside 3 freezer ziploc bags and immersing it, up to my ankle, in a bucket of ice water every few hours for the first week. The bandage was too thick to ice it any other way. Elevate it as much as possible. About your other foot... Since you just got one done, wait & see if you like the results. I had both done at once. If I had done my worst foot first, based on my good results, I would have gone ahead with the second anyway. But you have given yourself the luxury of waiting, which can't hurt.

Re: Thanks for the repy T. Hurst Also my toes are...

essence on 8/19/00 at 04:33 (025795)

I think the only pain I feel now is in my back! I have slept so much since my surgery. s it common to have numb toes?

Re: Wishing You A Speedy Recovery!!

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:12 (025814)

Hello Essence, I know nothing about surgery (yet). But I wish you the best with your recovery. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and mind the docs. At the top of the message board, you can type in something like endoscopic surgery, and it will pull up different people's messages relating to the topic. Should be quite a lot of reading, but hey, it will help pass the recovery time, right? it may help you understand the different things you will go through during healing. Best wishes.

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:17 (025815)

T. hurst, you said you had both feet operated on at the same time.
Are you just naturally brave (or that other word), or were you just in such pain you wanted out?
How are you doing now? Was your surgery a success? Sounds like it was.

Sue R on 8/19/00 at 12:43 (025818)

What is ES surgery...anybody? I did a search and found nothing. Sorry for my ignorance!

salina on 8/19/00 at 12:47 (025822)

Oops, everyone, I am sorry, I just assumed essence meant Endoscopic Surgery. Sorry if I misspoke in my message, essence.

Re: Numb toes

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 14:53 (025824)

I got numb toes just from elevating my feet, since the blood drains out of them. That's normal. It makes sleeping with your feet elevated very difficult. I would often have to wake up & walk around at night to get some blood back in them!

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 14:59 (025825)

Salina - I did both feet at once because I found a great surgeon & I am about to change jobs and insurance. I wanted him to do both. My right was much worse than my left, but my left continued to worsen even through conservative treatment. It took a year out of my life to get to the point where all my docs/insurance would agree to do it. I can't imagine giving up another year to go thru it again for my left foot. My only concern was whether doing both would compromise the healing process. My doc said no, as I would still be able to walk with both done at once. He was right and I'm glad I did both. I guess if you are extremely patient and don't mind an extra year of pain, it would be wiser to wait. But...had I waited and done the right foot first, I would have still gone ahead with the left.

Oh - check out my surgery posts on that message board. I try to update it every couple weeks.

Re: What do you mean by ES Surgery?

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 17:42 (025830)

Hi Essence, Can you explain a little more about what ES Surger is?

Get Well Soon,

Kim B.

john h on 8/19/00 at 19:38 (025839)

sue regardless of what the others post ES is 'Extra Special'!