Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fibromyalgia and Plantar Fasciitis=Pain -Does it ever go away?

Posted by Anniee1 on 8/19/00 at 19:55 (025845)

I started an exercise program run by a local hospital in my area, recommended by my Doctor. It included heat, massage and stretching exercises--all supervised. And that little incline box to stretch those calf muscles. Each morning it got more and more painful to get out of bed. I would hold on to furniture and fell several times because of severe pain in my feet and legs. The exercises I was doing to help my FM caused the foot problems . After six months(think I would have caught on sooner) , I could hardly walk. Now I'm seeing a Podiatist-had 2 very painful shots and three days later, I'm still in terrible pain. Now in 2 weeks it is going to cost me $300.00 dollars for intersoles. Am I doing the right thing. FM is hard enough to live with on a day to day basis. Now This!! Anyone out there have a solution to my problem? Thanks Annie

Re: Fibromyalgia and Plantar Fasciitis=Pain -Does it ever go away?

Nancy S. on 8/20/00 at 08:05 (025864)

Hi Annie,
Do you know what kind of custom orthotics your pod is ordering for you? Some people on this board have had luck with them, but many haven't. I spent $300 on mine -- the 3/4 length, hard, rigid, plastic variety, which ended up making my PF worse.
Birkenstock shoes/sandles turned out to help far more, and if you do a search on Birk at the top of this page, you'll find countless posts by people who have discovered the same thing (others who didn't respond well to Birks suggest other shoes that have helped them).
I would try Birks or another good shoe before turning to custom orthotics. (So many of us have a closetful of orthotics and inserts that didn't help that we fantasize about building a huge sculpture with them.)
If you do get the orthotics, I hope you will avoid the rigid plastic ones. The majority of posters here have found them not only not helpful but sometimes harmful, and several foot professionals told me that they ARE harmful (too late for me, though -- because they are what my ex-pod got for me).
Also, did your pod mention using a night splint? It has helped many people prevent reinjuring the fascia with those first steps in the morning.
You sound as though you're in an acute pain phase of this condition, and I would urge you to rest your injured feet as much as possible and let the fascia begin to heal. (After eight months of torture I finally did a lot of resting for three months -- couldn't work -- and swam to try to keep strength and flexibility in my legs and feet during the rest. It helped my PF a lot.) Keep your feet elevated and ice them a few times a day, especially after you've used them, to help fight the inflammation. Some people also take ibuprofen, Celebrex, or Vioxx (the last two are prescription) anti=inflammatories. Bromelain (find at health food store) is a natural anti-inflammatory that sometimes helps.
Have you read Scott's 'PF Book' here? It's a lengthy document with tons of information that I think will help you.
Some podiatrists are terrific, some not (like everything!), and if you educate yourself with plenty of info. while in the care of one you'll have much better and knowledgeable control over your treatment -- which believe me, you want. I may be wrong, but so far your pod sounds alarmingly like the one I had: (1) shots, (2) custom orthotics, and (3) he had me scheduled for surgery. He never checked my shoes, never advised me to rest my excruciatingly painful foot, never gave me any idea of what I could be doing to help myself at home.
I learned most of that after finding this site, and now have a great sports medicine doctor who really knows his stuff.
So, Annie, do a lot of reading here and don't be discouraged. This thing usually does take time and it will teach you patience -- which can drive a person crazy at times, as you'll see from reading the posts here! Most people do recover and it's very likely that you will too.
Nancy

Kim B. on 8/20/00 at 09:53 (025869)

Hi Annie,

I have both and I believe that I will be able to get rid of the Plantar Faciitis (PF) but it will take a lot of time and diligence. Even after it's gone I may always be vulnerable to reinjury, so I'll have to be carelful. Take Nancy's advice, she'll put you on the right track. Avoid invasive surgery, it can perminately damage tendons nerves and muscles and they never go back to the way they were. Look into the new non-invasive surgeries offered by Dr. Zuckerman if you live near New Jersey, or have the money to travel and stay a few days. He may be able to have you on your feet in no time. I am also hopeful that now that ossatron is approved in US, more doctors will learn the techniques and is may be available to more people on a local basis.

The Fibromyalgia (FM) is tough too. I think we have to look for the source if the problem and counter act it. Lack of deep, restroative sleep is a big culpit in some kinds of chronic muscle pain, because it is at that level of sleep that vital oxygen is able to get to the core of our muscles. In other words, our mucscles may be oxygen starved. It could be bad body mechanics for an injury that never healed correctly. Read as much as you can to learn about it, but try not to stew in it too much. Take it in small doses because it can bog you down. See the other posts where I provided some links to a couple of FM sited if you are new to the subject and want to learn more.

Lastly, some of my hopes lay in 'spontainious remission' and 'devine intervention' things like that. I have waited for the Medical Establishment long enough to know that they are less interested than they should be in finding the cause and cure for fibromyalgia.

I just started reading 'Why People Don't Heal And How They Can' by Caroline Myss, Ph.D. Getting throught the introduction was hard, cause it is very deep, but things have picked up in the first chapter. She is a medical intuative and offeres a lot of insite on why some of us are sick. Worth looking in to while you rest your feet!

Regards, and best wishes for recovery, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/20/00 at 08:05 (025864)

Hi Annie,
Do you know what kind of custom orthotics your pod is ordering for you? Some people on this board have had luck with them, but many haven't. I spent $300 on mine -- the 3/4 length, hard, rigid, plastic variety, which ended up making my PF worse.
Birkenstock shoes/sandles turned out to help far more, and if you do a search on Birk at the top of this page, you'll find countless posts by people who have discovered the same thing (others who didn't respond well to Birks suggest other shoes that have helped them).
I would try Birks or another good shoe before turning to custom orthotics. (So many of us have a closetful of orthotics and inserts that didn't help that we fantasize about building a huge sculpture with them.)
If you do get the orthotics, I hope you will avoid the rigid plastic ones. The majority of posters here have found them not only not helpful but sometimes harmful, and several foot professionals told me that they ARE harmful (too late for me, though -- because they are what my ex-pod got for me).
Also, did your pod mention using a night splint? It has helped many people prevent reinjuring the fascia with those first steps in the morning.
You sound as though you're in an acute pain phase of this condition, and I would urge you to rest your injured feet as much as possible and let the fascia begin to heal. (After eight months of torture I finally did a lot of resting for three months -- couldn't work -- and swam to try to keep strength and flexibility in my legs and feet during the rest. It helped my PF a lot.) Keep your feet elevated and ice them a few times a day, especially after you've used them, to help fight the inflammation. Some people also take ibuprofen, Celebrex, or Vioxx (the last two are prescription) anti=inflammatories. Bromelain (find at health food store) is a natural anti-inflammatory that sometimes helps.
Have you read Scott's 'PF Book' here? It's a lengthy document with tons of information that I think will help you.
Some podiatrists are terrific, some not (like everything!), and if you educate yourself with plenty of info. while in the care of one you'll have much better and knowledgeable control over your treatment -- which believe me, you want. I may be wrong, but so far your pod sounds alarmingly like the one I had: (1) shots, (2) custom orthotics, and (3) he had me scheduled for surgery. He never checked my shoes, never advised me to rest my excruciatingly painful foot, never gave me any idea of what I could be doing to help myself at home.
I learned most of that after finding this site, and now have a great sports medicine doctor who really knows his stuff.
So, Annie, do a lot of reading here and don't be discouraged. This thing usually does take time and it will teach you patience -- which can drive a person crazy at times, as you'll see from reading the posts here! Most people do recover and it's very likely that you will too.
Nancy

Kim B. on 8/20/00 at 09:53 (025869)

Hi Annie,

I have both and I believe that I will be able to get rid of the Plantar Faciitis (PF) but it will take a lot of time and diligence. Even after it's gone I may always be vulnerable to reinjury, so I'll have to be carelful. Take Nancy's advice, she'll put you on the right track. Avoid invasive surgery, it can perminately damage tendons nerves and muscles and they never go back to the way they were. Look into the new non-invasive surgeries offered by Dr. Zuckerman if you live near New Jersey, or have the money to travel and stay a few days. He may be able to have you on your feet in no time. I am also hopeful that now that ossatron is approved in US, more doctors will learn the techniques and is may be available to more people on a local basis.

The Fibromyalgia (FM) is tough too. I think we have to look for the source if the problem and counter act it. Lack of deep, restroative sleep is a big culpit in some kinds of chronic muscle pain, because it is at that level of sleep that vital oxygen is able to get to the core of our muscles. In other words, our mucscles may be oxygen starved. It could be bad body mechanics for an injury that never healed correctly. Read as much as you can to learn about it, but try not to stew in it too much. Take it in small doses because it can bog you down. See the other posts where I provided some links to a couple of FM sited if you are new to the subject and want to learn more.

Lastly, some of my hopes lay in 'spontainious remission' and 'devine intervention' things like that. I have waited for the Medical Establishment long enough to know that they are less interested than they should be in finding the cause and cure for fibromyalgia.

I just started reading 'Why People Don't Heal And How They Can' by Caroline Myss, Ph.D. Getting throught the introduction was hard, cause it is very deep, but things have picked up in the first chapter. She is a medical intuative and offeres a lot of insite on why some of us are sick. Worth looking in to while you rest your feet!

Regards, and best wishes for recovery, Kim B.