Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many wish they were Olympic Class Athletes before PF?

Posted by Pauline on 8/19/00 at 20:11 (025847)

How many of you wish you had been Olympic Class Athletes before
getting PF. I keep thinking 'If only' What are your 'If onlys'

Mine: If only I had been more physically fit perhaps I would not have gotten PF and would have recovered faster because of my fitness level. Just look at Rock

Re: How many wish they were Olympic Class Athletes before PF?

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 21:45 (025855)

Pauline, it would be interesting to look at Rock, but he hasn't submitted a photo to the Hall of Pain. How about it, Rock?
I wouldn't have any interest in being an Olympic athlete (though I like to watch them) -- or even an athlete. Exercising for its own sake bores me. But I like to MOVE in daily life, and my main 'if only' is:

If only I had continued wearing Birkenstocks after I got my first pair in the 1970s.

Nancy

alan k on 8/20/00 at 11:22 (025877)

Of course athletes are more prone to pf than the general population, so be careful what you wish for.

Also, note that you can still do physical conditioning with pf, just be sure it is non-weight bearing.

I think it is great that you have this wish. You should use it to condition your body to the best peak you can achieve, starting right now. That fitness will translate itself into the feet.

There is no question that a fit, blood-pumping machine of a body is going to heal faster.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

PaulS on 8/20/00 at 12:49 (025879)

I'm no Olympic athlete but I did a lot of sport and was probably as fit as I could be until a year ago. Then I injured my achilles playing tennis, which has since led to problems with PF. So it seems that being fit does not prevent PF nor help you to recover from it more quickly (unless of course you ARE an Olympic athlete, in which case you get immediate, optimal treatment!) And in some ways it may be worse to have been an athlete before PF hits, because not only do you lose the basic ability to take a step without pain, but you also lose your major hobby and (for me at least) the most enjoyable part of your life.

My 'if only': If only I had not let myself be persuaded to play tennis in unsuitable shoes on a new court with a slippery surface.

Kim B. on 8/20/00 at 18:55 (025903)

Nancy, I've been so busy signing 8x10 glossies of myself (for the fan club), I haven't had time to respond to your post. ME, I was a world class, olympic athlete. My secret is out.

Gotta run, I have a to get to my pedicure appointment 'cause Mary Lou Rettin is coming for dinner, and I can't put the pedicure off till tomorrow because I've got to meet Tiger Woods for lunch. Yes, again! He wants more pointers I guess.

:-) Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/20/00 at 19:03 (025906)

Kim, give my best to Tiger. I did all I could for him last year, but I see he's moved on to a queen.
We're having Pedro Martinez over for dinner tomorrow. He wants to know how to avoid PF and tendonitis, and I want to know how he keeps that smile on his face at all times.
Nancy

Rock on 8/21/00 at 06:31 (025915)

As usual Alan K. is correct, very fit, very active people do heal faster because of enhanced circulation.

You guys do not need a picture of me. I am just yet another grey bearded skinny cyclist (5'11' 160#) who swims a lot and is very careful about limiting running.

Rock.

john h on 8/23/00 at 10:01 (026087)

there are a lot of 'world class' athletes out there who have completely torn their fascia loose from the heel, one of them being a orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon (lady) who i visit now and then. she does not run anymore but she now swims with the sharks in the waters off equador. world class or not foot problems can bring the most fit back into the real world. turf toe can take an nfl football palyer out for a year. there have already been a number of ankle fractures in preseason nfl play and they are done for the year.

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 21:45 (025855)

Pauline, it would be interesting to look at Rock, but he hasn't submitted a photo to the Hall of Pain. How about it, Rock?
I wouldn't have any interest in being an Olympic athlete (though I like to watch them) -- or even an athlete. Exercising for its own sake bores me. But I like to MOVE in daily life, and my main 'if only' is:

If only I had continued wearing Birkenstocks after I got my first pair in the 1970s.

Nancy

alan k on 8/20/00 at 11:22 (025877)

Of course athletes are more prone to pf than the general population, so be careful what you wish for.

Also, note that you can still do physical conditioning with pf, just be sure it is non-weight bearing.

I think it is great that you have this wish. You should use it to condition your body to the best peak you can achieve, starting right now. That fitness will translate itself into the feet.

There is no question that a fit, blood-pumping machine of a body is going to heal faster.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

PaulS on 8/20/00 at 12:49 (025879)

I'm no Olympic athlete but I did a lot of sport and was probably as fit as I could be until a year ago. Then I injured my achilles playing tennis, which has since led to problems with PF. So it seems that being fit does not prevent PF nor help you to recover from it more quickly (unless of course you ARE an Olympic athlete, in which case you get immediate, optimal treatment!) And in some ways it may be worse to have been an athlete before PF hits, because not only do you lose the basic ability to take a step without pain, but you also lose your major hobby and (for me at least) the most enjoyable part of your life.

My 'if only': If only I had not let myself be persuaded to play tennis in unsuitable shoes on a new court with a slippery surface.

Kim B. on 8/20/00 at 18:55 (025903)

Nancy, I've been so busy signing 8x10 glossies of myself (for the fan club), I haven't had time to respond to your post. ME, I was a world class, olympic athlete. My secret is out.

Gotta run, I have a to get to my pedicure appointment 'cause Mary Lou Rettin is coming for dinner, and I can't put the pedicure off till tomorrow because I've got to meet Tiger Woods for lunch. Yes, again! He wants more pointers I guess.

:-) Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/20/00 at 19:03 (025906)

Kim, give my best to Tiger. I did all I could for him last year, but I see he's moved on to a queen.
We're having Pedro Martinez over for dinner tomorrow. He wants to know how to avoid PF and tendonitis, and I want to know how he keeps that smile on his face at all times.
Nancy

Rock on 8/21/00 at 06:31 (025915)

As usual Alan K. is correct, very fit, very active people do heal faster because of enhanced circulation.

You guys do not need a picture of me. I am just yet another grey bearded skinny cyclist (5'11' 160#) who swims a lot and is very careful about limiting running.

Rock.

john h on 8/23/00 at 10:01 (026087)

there are a lot of 'world class' athletes out there who have completely torn their fascia loose from the heel, one of them being a orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon (lady) who i visit now and then. she does not run anymore but she now swims with the sharks in the waters off equador. world class or not foot problems can bring the most fit back into the real world. turf toe can take an nfl football palyer out for a year. there have already been a number of ankle fractures in preseason nfl play and they are done for the year.