Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what about acupuncture for pf??

Posted by reneej on 8/21/00 at 14:53 (025929)

This may sound stupid, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of or tried, or had success in treating pf with accupuncture? I have had pf for about 2 months. my pod wants to do cortisone injections. I have givven up heels ( I'm 4'11' which makes it tough!!) and I'm wearing my orthodics all the time. I just started taking this seriously and have been resting on the couch for four days. After reading many of the posts here I realize that four days is a joke. I'm hoping mabe two weeks will make a difference. I feel so guilty for making my family do all my work. I really miss my daily walks/run. I have been to phisycal therapy for about two weeks for ultrasound,massage, taping and stretching. When it did not seem to help I quit. Does anyone recommend going back?? My insurance will pay for threee more weeks. Should I have seen results after five sessions?
Amazingly, my foot hurts constantly today after bed rest for 4 days!!! WHY???
I'm worried about getting fat. Shoukd I bicycle for an hour or give this bed rest thing more time with NO other activity except going back and forth to the bathroom? What non-weight bearing exercises can I do??? Will I atryphy after 2 weeks?
Renée
Spoiled with good feet all my life, but did not appreciate it!!

Re: what about acupuncture for pf??

Lori E. on 8/21/00 at 15:47 (025935)

Reneej,
I have tried both PT and acupuncture. I still do some the exercises recommended by my therapist, but after she cut me loose because of lack of progress, my pod suggested acupuncture again. I have seen some progress in my PF, but the best thing about acupuncture is the pain relief it provides. If your insurance pays for it, I would suggest you try it.
I wouldn't give up on the PT just yet though, you can get some great info from your therapist if you make sure to ask alot of questions and make sure you understand how to do the exercises correctly. As for weight gain, I would recommend as the others on the board have suggested either biking on low tension or swimming, but make sure you wear water/shower shoes with good support and don't push off the pool wall with your feet. I am a biker, I hate swimming.
Good luck, I hope you see some progress soon. As many on the board can attest, PF sometimes takes a long time to heal, and you need to take care of your feet and rest to prevent further injury.

alan k on 8/21/00 at 15:59 (025936)

You should definitely do lots of exercise while you are resting.

Try sit-ups and anything else you can find that you can do off of your feet.

Don't worry since you caught this in the early stage. It may take another month of rest, icing, exercise and massage to get better.

You should definitely take advantage of as much PT as you can get.

Acupuncture may help too. It completely cured my wife's tarsal tunnel syndrome.

good luck,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

BarbS on 8/21/00 at 16:07 (025937)

I have been going to a massage therapist for about a month now and she does a deep tissue massage in my legs and feet. It is definitely helping. She has also suggested accupuncture to me but I am afraid of it. I think it's the whole needle thing I'm not crazy about. That's also why I have not tried the shot. I have had luck working out on the stairmaster and the rowing machine. I use the balls of my feet on the stairmaster and there is no pounding involved with the rowing machine since my feet are strapped in. I have noticed quite a difference since I stopped playing racquetball and started using those machines.

PT may be a lot like massage therapy, which requires visits on a regular basis for quite some time (not sure how long). If your insurance covers more visits, I say go for it. Are you icing? Icing has helped me quite a bit as well as contrast baths. Hang in there and good luck, it is a long battle.

reneej on 8/21/00 at 16:28 (025941)

can you explain the contrast baths? Sounds like something I can easily try while I'm doing all this RESTING.
Thanks for your comments.
Renée

alan k on 8/21/00 at 20:23 (025961)

Glad to hear massage is helping you. It worked for me too. The key is getting the whole leg, hip, and pelvis involved in the work.

But there really is nothing to fear about acupuncture.
It doesn't hurt.

Sometimes nervousness makes it a little tingly but then you realize it doesn't hurt and then you relax.

So don't worry about acupuncture.

alan k

Ann G. on 8/21/00 at 22:47 (025973)

At the end of last school year I was limping through life. My holistic buddies sent me to an accupuncture school for free treatment and it was the first step in healing for me, I could tell a difference. It wasn't a cure, but it was a start. They often give herbal prescriptions to go along with treatment. The next part of healing was finding this site on the internet. Lots of good information.
I have cut out any type of weight bearing exercise and now i use my bike. I stretch. I still have stiffness and I have occasional pain (not intense like it was) but things are improving. I just threw away all my bad shoes to remove temptation and love my tennis shoes, I through away the insole that comes with them and put in a better one and wear gel cusions on top of that and thick socks (lots of cusioning to absorb impact from walking and teachers walk a lot). I started taking glucosmine and chondroitin and msm and can tell the difference when I don't take them. I've made it through the first 2 weeks of school with no deterioration of my condition.
I'm avoiding concrete surfaces, unfortunately most school floors are linoleum over concrete, so I purchased area rugs for the places I stand the most.
Try the acupuncture. If the needle hurts, it's positioned wrong. It could help.

Re: Contrast Bath

BarbS on 8/22/00 at 08:17 (025983)

I got this from another poster. I think his name is Mike.

Soak foot in hot water (not scalding) for 2 minutes.
Immediately put your foot in ice water for 30 seconds.
Hot water again 2 minutes.
Ice water again 30 seconds.
Rest 5 minutes.

Most people recommend ending with ice water because of the swelling. Be aware that this is not a comfortable soak. I get a spikey feeling in my feet when they go from cold to hot and I get pain all the way up my leg from the cold water. I do feel better afterwards. Hope it helps you, too.

Lori E. on 8/21/00 at 15:47 (025935)

Reneej,
I have tried both PT and acupuncture. I still do some the exercises recommended by my therapist, but after she cut me loose because of lack of progress, my pod suggested acupuncture again. I have seen some progress in my PF, but the best thing about acupuncture is the pain relief it provides. If your insurance pays for it, I would suggest you try it.
I wouldn't give up on the PT just yet though, you can get some great info from your therapist if you make sure to ask alot of questions and make sure you understand how to do the exercises correctly. As for weight gain, I would recommend as the others on the board have suggested either biking on low tension or swimming, but make sure you wear water/shower shoes with good support and don't push off the pool wall with your feet. I am a biker, I hate swimming.
Good luck, I hope you see some progress soon. As many on the board can attest, PF sometimes takes a long time to heal, and you need to take care of your feet and rest to prevent further injury.

alan k on 8/21/00 at 15:59 (025936)

You should definitely do lots of exercise while you are resting.

Try sit-ups and anything else you can find that you can do off of your feet.

Don't worry since you caught this in the early stage. It may take another month of rest, icing, exercise and massage to get better.

You should definitely take advantage of as much PT as you can get.

Acupuncture may help too. It completely cured my wife's tarsal tunnel syndrome.

good luck,

alan k

BarbS on 8/21/00 at 16:07 (025937)

I have been going to a massage therapist for about a month now and she does a deep tissue massage in my legs and feet. It is definitely helping. She has also suggested accupuncture to me but I am afraid of it. I think it's the whole needle thing I'm not crazy about. That's also why I have not tried the shot. I have had luck working out on the stairmaster and the rowing machine. I use the balls of my feet on the stairmaster and there is no pounding involved with the rowing machine since my feet are strapped in. I have noticed quite a difference since I stopped playing racquetball and started using those machines.

PT may be a lot like massage therapy, which requires visits on a regular basis for quite some time (not sure how long). If your insurance covers more visits, I say go for it. Are you icing? Icing has helped me quite a bit as well as contrast baths. Hang in there and good luck, it is a long battle.

reneej on 8/21/00 at 16:28 (025941)

can you explain the contrast baths? Sounds like something I can easily try while I'm doing all this RESTING.
Thanks for your comments.
Renée

alan k on 8/21/00 at 20:23 (025961)

Glad to hear massage is helping you. It worked for me too. The key is getting the whole leg, hip, and pelvis involved in the work.

But there really is nothing to fear about acupuncture.
It doesn't hurt.

Sometimes nervousness makes it a little tingly but then you realize it doesn't hurt and then you relax.

So don't worry about acupuncture.

alan k

Ann G. on 8/21/00 at 22:47 (025973)

At the end of last school year I was limping through life. My holistic buddies sent me to an accupuncture school for free treatment and it was the first step in healing for me, I could tell a difference. It wasn't a cure, but it was a start. They often give herbal prescriptions to go along with treatment. The next part of healing was finding this site on the internet. Lots of good information.
I have cut out any type of weight bearing exercise and now i use my bike. I stretch. I still have stiffness and I have occasional pain (not intense like it was) but things are improving. I just threw away all my bad shoes to remove temptation and love my tennis shoes, I through away the insole that comes with them and put in a better one and wear gel cusions on top of that and thick socks (lots of cusioning to absorb impact from walking and teachers walk a lot). I started taking glucosmine and chondroitin and msm and can tell the difference when I don't take them. I've made it through the first 2 weeks of school with no deterioration of my condition.
I'm avoiding concrete surfaces, unfortunately most school floors are linoleum over concrete, so I purchased area rugs for the places I stand the most.
Try the acupuncture. If the needle hurts, it's positioned wrong. It could help.

Re: Contrast Bath

BarbS on 8/22/00 at 08:17 (025983)

I got this from another poster. I think his name is Mike.

Soak foot in hot water (not scalding) for 2 minutes.
Immediately put your foot in ice water for 30 seconds.
Rest 5 minutes.

Most people recommend ending with ice water because of the swelling. Be aware that this is not a comfortable soak. I get a spikey feeling in my feet when they go from cold to hot and I get pain all the way up my leg from the cold water. I do feel better afterwards. Hope it helps you, too.