Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MIA- Healing(long)

Posted by dfeet on 8/21/00 at 16:42 (025943)

Hi, all. I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd share an update on my 'progress'. I must say I'm better than when the onset of the PF and TTS initially ocurred. Not 100%, but managing to regain some 'normalcy'. Excuse my get to the point take on the whole affair, but as some of my previous posts(long ago) stated-most everyone I kow is sick of asking and hearing about my feet, that I've acquired a no-nonsense response. Here are some of the things that have helped me along the way to healing:
Attitude(healing is a progression,a slow methodical climb)-positive and surround yourself with positive people
Do what you can, not necessarily what you want(I want to play 3 hours of tennis today. I can play a half hour.)
Listen to your body and that little voice that says'Stop, I've had enough'
GET GOOD PEOPLE WORKING TO HELP YOU HEAL-seek out good professionals, and change if your little voice tells you to
More specifically......
Socks- I find Thorlo has great cushioning
Shoes- My husband is almost embarassed at how long I take to buy a pair of shoes. When I find a good Pair, I buy as many as I can-currently, Merrel Jungle Mocs-lots of cushioning, good stability and
Scarpa Delta Hikers- a bit expensive, but I don't have to wear orthotics
NightSplints-every night
Ibuprofen and Ibuprofen cream
Ice
Physical Therapy and a great PT!
This message board
These are the biggies, and I know I left some things out. But let me say this about REST. I did not include it on my healing list because I really didn't, couldn't incorporate it into my lifestyle at this time. But I'm certain that if given the opportunity and luxury of resting, that My healing would have progressed more rapidly. One's body is communicating when an injury occurs to Slow Down or else. Well, I guess I fall into the 'or else'. REST is under utilized as a powerful healing tool. Ok, off my soapbox. See Ya-dfeet

Re: MIA- Healing(long)

salina on 8/21/00 at 17:21 (025946)

Hi dfeet, Glad that you are getting better. I was reading some of your past posts, and I also have a lot of nighttime pain (only in right foot) and my right one actually gets stuck in sort of a half-cramp, not excruciating, but wants to curl up at times and just cramps. Weird. And my big toe is just now coming out of a long time curl. I mention these things simply because I read that you experienced some of these same things. Anyway, my question is,
Can you give us a short description of how bad your days were in the beginning, and how much better things are for you now. Seems like you are really on the road to recovery. That's great. I think it would be great if we had a 'It Gets Better' message board where all the people that 'Got Better' (can't think of a better title, haha) could write and compare their worst time to their best recovery times. I know I would probably read those messages over and over and over again. Maybe use them to meditate with, print them out and stick on the fridge, frame some for the wall, just be surrounded with hope. And proof that it can get better. Am I rambling??

Re: I'd love to hear "got better" stories too

reneej on 8/21/00 at 19:38 (025955)

Please include as many details as possible for our (current sufferers) hope and encouragement
TIA
Renée

Re: vitamin e for night cramping

alan k on 8/21/00 at 20:29 (025962)

There is some evidence that Vitamin E supplements reduce or eliminite nigth cramping. Most people get night cramps in the lower leg or hamstring not the feet, but maybe we are prone to it in our feet because that is where the muscle imbalance has shown up.

In any case, night cramps cannot be good for pf healing, since night-time is our bodies natural healing time. Vitamin E might help with that, as well as foot massage before lying down.

I'm pulling for you salina (and others)

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

john h on 8/22/00 at 09:02 (025992)

for some good information on 'cramping' and it's causes go to:
http://austin360.adam.com/ency/article/003193.htm

Re: MIA- Healing(long)

salina on 8/21/00 at 17:21 (025946)

Hi dfeet, Glad that you are getting better. I was reading some of your past posts, and I also have a lot of nighttime pain (only in right foot) and my right one actually gets stuck in sort of a half-cramp, not excruciating, but wants to curl up at times and just cramps. Weird. And my big toe is just now coming out of a long time curl. I mention these things simply because I read that you experienced some of these same things. Anyway, my question is,
Can you give us a short description of how bad your days were in the beginning, and how much better things are for you now. Seems like you are really on the road to recovery. That's great. I think it would be great if we had a 'It Gets Better' message board where all the people that 'Got Better' (can't think of a better title, haha) could write and compare their worst time to their best recovery times. I know I would probably read those messages over and over and over again. Maybe use them to meditate with, print them out and stick on the fridge, frame some for the wall, just be surrounded with hope. And proof that it can get better. Am I rambling??

Re: I'd love to hear "got better" stories too

reneej on 8/21/00 at 19:38 (025955)

Please include as many details as possible for our (current sufferers) hope and encouragement
TIA
Renée

alan k on 8/21/00 at 20:29 (025962)

There is some evidence that Vitamin E supplements reduce or eliminite nigth cramping. Most people get night cramps in the lower leg or hamstring not the feet, but maybe we are prone to it in our feet because that is where the muscle imbalance has shown up.

In any case, night cramps cannot be good for pf healing, since night-time is our bodies natural healing time. Vitamin E might help with that, as well as foot massage before lying down.

I'm pulling for you salina (and others)

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

john h on 8/22/00 at 09:02 (025992)

for some good information on 'cramping' and it's causes go to:
http://austin360.adam.com/ency/article/003193.htm