Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re read of fda studies

Posted by john h on 8/21/00 at 16:52 (025945)

in re reading the panel findings of the fda studies a few things stick out: (1) more women than men have the problem (2) wearing hard orthotics after ESWT treatment may have caused problems for some patients (3) pregnant women and people on blood thinners or immuno depressant drugs will probably be excluded from treatment (4) where you were 12 weeks after treatment was what they considered the result of the treatment (5) there was some inclusive discussion about the treatment of ESWT for Heel Spur Syndrome vs Plantar Fasciaitis. (6) the average time the patients had PF before ESWT was approximately 2.6 years (7) there were some complications but they resolved themselves (8) most patients were treated with local anathestic (9) treatment time averaged around 16-19 minutes (10) doctors performing this treatment will have to be trained by Healthtronics (probably)

Re: re read of fda studies

salina on 8/21/00 at 17:30 (025947)

Hi john h., when you go have the orbasone done by Dr. Zuckerman, what are you planning on doing afterwards? Are you supposed to do complete rest for several weeks, or just keep doing normal activities?
What does Dr. Zuckerman tell patients they should do after the orbasone treatment? Is it better to try to totally get off your feet, or better to keep on truckin? Also, do you have the 'first step' kind of pain? Good luck on the treatment. Is it a 'one time' thing? Or will you be going back for more treatments later on?

john h on 8/21/00 at 21:17 (025970)

from all i read after the treatment you continue on down the road as best you can. no i have never had 1st step pain but increased pain throughout the day. some people come back for a 2nd or even a 3rd treatment and some do well with just one. i will play it by ear or as in my case by foot.

Re: Nightsplints?

salina on 8/21/00 at 23:53 (025975)

Do you wear nightsplints, or have you ever? And do you think they help those that don't have first step pain? I am discouraged because I faithfully wore nightsplints for over three months, literally kept a chart (to make myself do it) and always kept a book handy and read even in the middle of the night if I woke up because of the nightsplints. But my feet still hurt, and now my lower legs are stiff and crampy a lot. I thought the nightsplints would help with that. It takes so long to heal, its hard to tell what is working and what is not. My pain also is upon weightbearing mostly. But the splints did seem to help my feet stay pliable and less stiff. Best of lluck on the orbasone treatment.

Bob G. on 8/22/00 at 01:22 (025979)

hello, salina

nightsplints are difficult to adjust to. sometimes they are so bad i just take them off.

i wear the strassburg sock with them (it) and that helps. most of the time i find comfort and sleep well with them on. this took time to adjust.

don't give up. keep trying with the nightsplint, it has helped me be pain free.

john h on 8/22/00 at 08:48 (025987)

i have been alternating feet with a night splint for about a year. i cannot say positively it makes my feet better but it does not make them worse and may help.

salina on 8/21/00 at 17:30 (025947)

Hi john h., when you go have the orbasone done by Dr. Zuckerman, what are you planning on doing afterwards? Are you supposed to do complete rest for several weeks, or just keep doing normal activities?
What does Dr. Zuckerman tell patients they should do after the orbasone treatment? Is it better to try to totally get off your feet, or better to keep on truckin? Also, do you have the 'first step' kind of pain? Good luck on the treatment. Is it a 'one time' thing? Or will you be going back for more treatments later on?

john h on 8/21/00 at 21:17 (025970)

from all i read after the treatment you continue on down the road as best you can. no i have never had 1st step pain but increased pain throughout the day. some people come back for a 2nd or even a 3rd treatment and some do well with just one. i will play it by ear or as in my case by foot.

salina on 8/21/00 at 23:53 (025975)

Do you wear nightsplints, or have you ever? And do you think they help those that don't have first step pain? I am discouraged because I faithfully wore nightsplints for over three months, literally kept a chart (to make myself do it) and always kept a book handy and read even in the middle of the night if I woke up because of the nightsplints. But my feet still hurt, and now my lower legs are stiff and crampy a lot. I thought the nightsplints would help with that. It takes so long to heal, its hard to tell what is working and what is not. My pain also is upon weightbearing mostly. But the splints did seem to help my feet stay pliable and less stiff. Best of lluck on the orbasone treatment.

Bob G. on 8/22/00 at 01:22 (025979)

hello, salina

nightsplints are difficult to adjust to. sometimes they are so bad i just take them off.

i wear the strassburg sock with them (it) and that helps. most of the time i find comfort and sleep well with them on. this took time to adjust.

don't give up. keep trying with the nightsplint, it has helped me be pain free.

john h on 8/22/00 at 08:48 (025987)

i have been alternating feet with a night splint for about a year. i cannot say positively it makes my feet better but it does not make them worse and may help.