Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr. Zuckerman

Posted by Pauline on 8/23/00 at 07:30 (026081)

Dr.Zuckerman,
Is it possible to have the large tendon that runs from heel to toe
when you flex more involved than the actual Plantar Fascia. In other
words can the inflammation of that tendon or sheath or any other part of it be the main problem and it's involvement has extended to the PF. If this is possible does it follow that an injection directly
into the tendon would eliminate the problem?

How can you tell which part is more involved or does it really matter at this point. I'm beginning to think my tendon is causing most of
my pain. Maybe this is Sue's problem also.

It sounds easy enough to inject into the tendon sheath. I think I would take this chance if the Dr. would do it.

Re: To Dr. Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/00 at 10:40 (026088)

An MRI or an ultrasound would be able to isolate which tendon it is
In this area you have the abductor Hallucis Longus , Flexor Digitorium brevis. . You could have a Flexor Halllucis Brevis Tendonitis and not a pf problem This is a clinical test to determine and isolate which tendon is causing the problem. The doctor should
be able to determine which tendon is causing the problem by putting the foot in the position that makes the tendon work. You could even
a sesmamoid bone problem . These are bones that the two heads of the Flexor Hallucis brevis tendon travel thru. You could have a motion problem of the big toe joint that could cause both FHB tendonitis and or plantar fasciitis. I hope this isn't getting past the question.
Summary: hand on testing with MRI and or Ultrsound testing would be helpful.

Re: To Dr. Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/00 at 10:40 (026088)

An MRI or an ultrasound would be able to isolate which tendon it is
In this area you have the abductor Hallucis Longus , Flexor Digitorium brevis. . You could have a Flexor Halllucis Brevis Tendonitis and not a pf problem This is a clinical test to determine and isolate which tendon is causing the problem. The doctor should
be able to determine which tendon is causing the problem by putting the foot in the position that makes the tendon work. You could even
a sesmamoid bone problem . These are bones that the two heads of the Flexor Hallucis brevis tendon travel thru. You could have a motion problem of the big toe joint that could cause both FHB tendonitis and or plantar fasciitis. I hope this isn't getting past the question.
Summary: hand on testing with MRI and or Ultrsound testing would be helpful.