Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brief Bliss

Posted by john a on 8/23/00 at 11:48 (026091)

I sat too long in the bathroom this morning :-), and one of my feet fell asleep. And boy, let me tell you, the subsequent numbness and pins and needles sensation that lasted for about 2 minutes as the circulation resumed was pure unadulterated relief from PF. I wish I could reproduce the effect on demand, though cutting off the circulation in the first place might not be A GOOD THING.

Re: Brief Bliss

Rock on 8/23/00 at 11:51 (026092)

Maybe, but to heal it you need to INCREASE the circulation !

Re: Brief Bliss-pins and needles

Dr. Biehler on 8/23/00 at 13:33 (026093)

The falling asleep feeling is from nerve compression and has nothing to do with circulation.

john a on 8/23/00 at 15:20 (026097)

I always thought 'putting a limb to sleep' meant cutting off circulation: another myth put to rest. Thanks!

Re: Hmmm, interesting.

Kim B. on 8/23/00 at 23:52 (026116)

I've mentioned this EXACT symptom (cause and effect) at my latest $250 neuological consultation regarding my Fibromyalgia illness. This suposedly well respected Dr. looked at me like I was pulling stuff right out of thin air. She acted as if going semi-numb in the legs after a BM is perfectly acceptable. Maybe it is, I haven't bothered to bring it up to my GP since 'Ms-Knows-So-Much' blew it off. It had been happening consitantly for several months or so at the time, it now only happens intermitently.

Hince my problem, once you are 'labeled' with Fibromyalgia, many doctors won't take any of your complaints seriously after that. So, beware the dianosis that makes you 'imagine' symptoms. Thanks for sharing John, nice to know I'm not crazy after all.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 09:18 (026120)

I think your right . Patients tend to get type casted just like actors. One a diagnosis is made other doctor don't like to change it. Dr. Biehler

Re: Brief Bliss

Rock on 8/23/00 at 11:51 (026092)

Maybe, but to heal it you need to INCREASE the circulation !

Dr. Biehler on 8/23/00 at 13:33 (026093)

The falling asleep feeling is from nerve compression and has nothing to do with circulation.

john a on 8/23/00 at 15:20 (026097)

I always thought 'putting a limb to sleep' meant cutting off circulation: another myth put to rest. Thanks!

Kim B. on 8/23/00 at 23:52 (026116)

I've mentioned this EXACT symptom (cause and effect) at my latest $250 neuological consultation regarding my Fibromyalgia illness. This suposedly well respected Dr. looked at me like I was pulling stuff right out of thin air. She acted as if going semi-numb in the legs after a BM is perfectly acceptable. Maybe it is, I haven't bothered to bring it up to my GP since 'Ms-Knows-So-Much' blew it off. It had been happening consitantly for several months or so at the time, it now only happens intermitently.

Hince my problem, once you are 'labeled' with Fibromyalgia, many doctors won't take any of your complaints seriously after that. So, beware the dianosis that makes you 'imagine' symptoms. Thanks for sharing John, nice to know I'm not crazy after all.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 09:18 (026120)

I think your right . Patients tend to get type casted just like actors. One a diagnosis is made other doctor don't like to change it. Dr. Biehler