Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I finally got a steroid injection directly into where my heel hurts the most. OUCH!!!!!!

Posted by Cindy W on 8/23/00 at 22:45 (026110)

Well I finally gave in because I am willing to try just about anything at this point. The shot is by far the worst pain I have ever had. It hurt like h*##.
It hurts worse now than it did before the shot about 6hrs ago. Does anyone know if it gets worse before it gets better? I forgot to ask my podiatrist.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't have to go through that pain for nothing. I will keep you all posted as to my end results.
Cindy

Re: I finally got a steroid injection directly into where my heel hurts the most. OUCH!!!!!!

Essence on 8/24/00 at 01:11 (026117)

When I had the 'many' injections into my foot it hurt like the dickens. Not only was the needle o-so painful, but hours later it hurt more then the 1st problem. Not to scare you but none of the shots ever helped me. I ended up having surgery on my right foot last friday ( planter f release).
I hope all goes well with you!!!

Re: I finally got a steroid injection directly into where my heel hurts the most. OUCH!!!!!!

Pat M. on 8/24/00 at 05:47 (026118)

The only shot that I took did not hurt very badly as it was being given, but that was the first night that I stayed awake almost all night because of pain. I did not get any relief from it, either. Sorry. I know that there are others here who have gotten relief from 'the shot'. Hope you hear from them. Pat

Re: Shots don't have to hurt

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 09:30 (026122)

When a shot is called for to the heel it shoud not be a very painful experiance. It the heel is already sore to the touch you can either put the foot asleep first with an ankle shot ( not painful ) or use a topical refrigerent on the heel first. You won't feel the needle go in and if the doctor injects a little lidocain, waits for it to numb the area, moves the needle in a little farther, injects again , waits and repeats. It takes mabe 10 minutes but it can be done. Dr. Biehler

Re: Dr. B. and Dr. Z. I have a couple additional questions.

Cindy W on 8/24/00 at 09:49 (026124)

Dear Drs.,
I have had 3 previous injections that did hurt but nothing as bad as what I experienced yesterday. The shot this time was given differently so that it was given right into the sorest area on my heel. It was horrible.
My question now is, is it common for the pain to get worse after this kind of injection? I am hoping that maybe it is only temporarily going to feel worse only to get better in a few days. What are your thoughts on this?
Also my pod. mentioned that maybe my back could be causing my foot pain as well. Have you ever heard of this?
Thank you,
Cindy W

Stephanie S. on 8/24/00 at 11:33 (026126)

Girl....I understand where your coming from. I had one cort shot
in my left heel. During the shot ( that was horrific ) I repeatedly said to myself 'I've given birth 4 times...I can handle this...I can handle this'. I cried like a baby....when he was finished with the shot...I had to lay there for 15 min to calm down...the pain was so bad that my stomach was turning. I thought for sure I was gonna 'lose my cookies' right there in front of everyone. LOL

I was told that he couldn't give a local...nice to know now that he was fibbing. I asked for something to numb the heel before the shot. I was pretty much told to bare through it.

I did want to tell you this...I have been seeing another doc' for the foot pain....he gave me the option of a steriod shot in the hip. I haven't heard of anyone else on the board that has had this done...verses the shot in the heel. But wanted to through that out there to you. It was not near as painful..only a shot..ya know?

The shot in the hip worked...I am still in 'some pain' but I am walking. It helped put me back on the road to recovery...not by any means healed completely but the pain has lessened. I'm sure it just reduced some of the inflammation ..but I am very conscious of 'what I do' when my feet are involved. I am careful of how I stand, how I hunch over to clean the bottom of the shower door or clean out animal cages...etc. I never ever take my feet for granted anymore. These days I'm hardly limping ...like before...and the morning pain has reduced alot...probably more because of the nightsplints...but...

Anyways..didn't mean to make this so long...wanted you to know your not alone and were all in the same boat here. Hope everything goes better for you....

Stephanie S.

Re: Shots that hurt

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 13:43 (026130)

I worked with a military doctor once that gave painful shots when there was no need for it, I still don't understand why.
The shots are suposed to deposit the cortisone at the point of maximum tendernes, this is where it is needed. The lidocain not only numbs the area but it helps spread the cortisone. When the numbness wears off in 2 to 6 hours, the heel can feel sore.The cortisone shoud kick in by the next day and start bringing the inflamation and pain down. A pinched nerve at S2 in the back will feel like heel pain. The straight leg raise test is used to rule this out. Dr. Biehler

Re: How long is the foot at increased rupture risk?

Beverly on 8/24/00 at 14:03 (026132)

I have avoided shots thus far - spookey notion to me, but as my progress continues to go at a snail's pace, it continues to be something I think about. From what I've read here one round of cortizone is not so risky.
I have this in both feet.
Question: From the time a cortizone shot is given, how long would I be in the danger zone of increased rupture risk? If I baby my foot during that time and stay off of it as much as possible (pretty easy since I work at a desk/computer), when would that increased risk end?
My primary pain is in my arch.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Steroids

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 14:30 (026134)

Steroids are either Phosphates or Acetates. The acetates are not water soluable and can last for quite some time, up to a month or longer depending on the kind and dose. It is these that tend to do the most damage ( and most good). A water soluable steroid can be washed out of the system in a few days. The tendon can rupture right away or take a year. The only tendon that I have seen rupture from a shot was the achillies( I didn't give the shot), and the person should never of had the shot there to begin with. I have used steroid shots and when called for they can be of great help. Dr. Biehler

suzi on 8/24/00 at 15:10 (026138)

Dr.Biehler, if there is a pinched nerve in the back, which could be contributing to the heel pain, how is this treated?????

suzi on 8/24/00 at 15:13 (026140)

dr. biehler, if a nerve is involved in the back adding or causing heel pain, how is this treated?

Pauline on 8/24/00 at 16:16 (026143)

I've had shots both in the bottom and sides of my feet. To be honest
I simple remember discomfort from both of them when receiving them.
For the injection in the bottom the Dr. numbed my foot before giving
the injection. The pain I experienced afterward seemed to be from
the quanity of medicine he injected. The amount seemed to separate
the layers of tissue in the foot and it actually felt like I was walking on rockers. They were pretty sore for about 2 - 3 days then
as the fluid began to be absorbed I got pretty good relief. I think
you will notice a great improvement in a few more days. Just stay
off them for a while. You can ice too.

BJC on 8/24/00 at 18:01 (026149)

Yes, I've had pain after the shot. Once the pain lasted for almost a week, but once the pain was gone my foot felt terrific (going on 5 months now). I think that sometimes small blood vessels can be hit, which can cause pain. I know that when I received allergy shots some hurt, some didn't. My dr. sprays the area before the shot, but I don't believe he uses lidocaine as my foot never seems at all numb. I will take whatever pain comes with the shots, thought, since they have worked pretty well for me (although I know I am limited in how many I can receive).

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:16 (026153)

One of three things are going to happen with the shot.

1. You are going to have alot of pain anywhere from one to seven days
Get ice on the area twenty minutes every other hour.
2. The relief will be immediate and you think the doctor is g-d

3. The relief will come and either go away in one day one week one month one year or for ever.

4. If you have very little pain after the injection soak the foot in hot water. If you have alot of pain then ice.

Dr. Biehler is right shots don't have to hurt at all. You can get a pt block and then inject or local anesthetic and then inject.

Make sure that Satan isn't giving you the steriod injection.

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 18:31 (026158)

When the cause of heel pain seems to be a pinched nerve in the back, the first step is normaly is a set of x-rays to see what going on there. As Podiatrist when I was working in a hospital I would recommend that they see the Orthopedic Doctor or Neurologist, I do however think there are some very good Chiropracters. The x-ray usually tend to show either a herniation or a degenerative disc disease going on. The treatment varies as to the cause of the nerve compression. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 8/24/00 at 20:34 (026166)

Dr. Z., too bad I didn't get my shot from you.
I DID get it from Satan, and to this day it spooks me that I didn't recognize him.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:22 (026168)

Ice, Ice ICe

Take some advil or something along that line. If you have something stronger it's ok, go for it.

Essence on 8/24/00 at 01:11 (026117)

When I had the 'many' injections into my foot it hurt like the dickens. Not only was the needle o-so painful, but hours later it hurt more then the 1st problem. Not to scare you but none of the shots ever helped me. I ended up having surgery on my right foot last friday ( planter f release).
I hope all goes well with you!!!

Pat M. on 8/24/00 at 05:47 (026118)

The only shot that I took did not hurt very badly as it was being given, but that was the first night that I stayed awake almost all night because of pain. I did not get any relief from it, either. Sorry. I know that there are others here who have gotten relief from 'the shot'. Hope you hear from them. Pat

Re: Shots don't have to hurt

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 09:30 (026122)

When a shot is called for to the heel it shoud not be a very painful experiance. It the heel is already sore to the touch you can either put the foot asleep first with an ankle shot ( not painful ) or use a topical refrigerent on the heel first. You won't feel the needle go in and if the doctor injects a little lidocain, waits for it to numb the area, moves the needle in a little farther, injects again , waits and repeats. It takes mabe 10 minutes but it can be done. Dr. Biehler

Cindy W on 8/24/00 at 09:49 (026124)

Dear Drs.,
I have had 3 previous injections that did hurt but nothing as bad as what I experienced yesterday. The shot this time was given differently so that it was given right into the sorest area on my heel. It was horrible.
My question now is, is it common for the pain to get worse after this kind of injection? I am hoping that maybe it is only temporarily going to feel worse only to get better in a few days. What are your thoughts on this?
Also my pod. mentioned that maybe my back could be causing my foot pain as well. Have you ever heard of this?
Thank you,
Cindy W

Stephanie S. on 8/24/00 at 11:33 (026126)

Girl....I understand where your coming from. I had one cort shot
in my left heel. During the shot ( that was horrific ) I repeatedly said to myself 'I've given birth 4 times...I can handle this...I can handle this'. I cried like a baby....when he was finished with the shot...I had to lay there for 15 min to calm down...the pain was so bad that my stomach was turning. I thought for sure I was gonna 'lose my cookies' right there in front of everyone. LOL

I was told that he couldn't give a local...nice to know now that he was fibbing. I asked for something to numb the heel before the shot. I was pretty much told to bare through it.

I did want to tell you this...I have been seeing another doc' for the foot pain....he gave me the option of a steriod shot in the hip. I haven't heard of anyone else on the board that has had this done...verses the shot in the heel. But wanted to through that out there to you. It was not near as painful..only a shot..ya know?

The shot in the hip worked...I am still in 'some pain' but I am walking. It helped put me back on the road to recovery...not by any means healed completely but the pain has lessened. I'm sure it just reduced some of the inflammation ..but I am very conscious of 'what I do' when my feet are involved. I am careful of how I stand, how I hunch over to clean the bottom of the shower door or clean out animal cages...etc. I never ever take my feet for granted anymore. These days I'm hardly limping ...like before...and the morning pain has reduced alot...probably more because of the nightsplints...but...

Anyways..didn't mean to make this so long...wanted you to know your not alone and were all in the same boat here. Hope everything goes better for you....

Stephanie S.

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 13:43 (026130)

I worked with a military doctor once that gave painful shots when there was no need for it, I still don't understand why.
The shots are suposed to deposit the cortisone at the point of maximum tendernes, this is where it is needed. The lidocain not only numbs the area but it helps spread the cortisone. When the numbness wears off in 2 to 6 hours, the heel can feel sore.The cortisone shoud kick in by the next day and start bringing the inflamation and pain down. A pinched nerve at S2 in the back will feel like heel pain. The straight leg raise test is used to rule this out. Dr. Biehler

Re: How long is the foot at increased rupture risk?

Beverly on 8/24/00 at 14:03 (026132)

I have avoided shots thus far - spookey notion to me, but as my progress continues to go at a snail's pace, it continues to be something I think about. From what I've read here one round of cortizone is not so risky.
I have this in both feet.
Question: From the time a cortizone shot is given, how long would I be in the danger zone of increased rupture risk? If I baby my foot during that time and stay off of it as much as possible (pretty easy since I work at a desk/computer), when would that increased risk end?
My primary pain is in my arch.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Steroids

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 14:30 (026134)

Steroids are either Phosphates or Acetates. The acetates are not water soluable and can last for quite some time, up to a month or longer depending on the kind and dose. It is these that tend to do the most damage ( and most good). A water soluable steroid can be washed out of the system in a few days. The tendon can rupture right away or take a year. The only tendon that I have seen rupture from a shot was the achillies( I didn't give the shot), and the person should never of had the shot there to begin with. I have used steroid shots and when called for they can be of great help. Dr. Biehler

suzi on 8/24/00 at 15:10 (026138)

Dr.Biehler, if there is a pinched nerve in the back, which could be contributing to the heel pain, how is this treated?????

suzi on 8/24/00 at 15:13 (026140)

dr. biehler, if a nerve is involved in the back adding or causing heel pain, how is this treated?

Pauline on 8/24/00 at 16:16 (026143)

I've had shots both in the bottom and sides of my feet. To be honest
I simple remember discomfort from both of them when receiving them.
For the injection in the bottom the Dr. numbed my foot before giving
the injection. The pain I experienced afterward seemed to be from
the quanity of medicine he injected. The amount seemed to separate
the layers of tissue in the foot and it actually felt like I was walking on rockers. They were pretty sore for about 2 - 3 days then
as the fluid began to be absorbed I got pretty good relief. I think
you will notice a great improvement in a few more days. Just stay
off them for a while. You can ice too.

BJC on 8/24/00 at 18:01 (026149)

Yes, I've had pain after the shot. Once the pain lasted for almost a week, but once the pain was gone my foot felt terrific (going on 5 months now). I think that sometimes small blood vessels can be hit, which can cause pain. I know that when I received allergy shots some hurt, some didn't. My dr. sprays the area before the shot, but I don't believe he uses lidocaine as my foot never seems at all numb. I will take whatever pain comes with the shots, thought, since they have worked pretty well for me (although I know I am limited in how many I can receive).

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:16 (026153)

One of three things are going to happen with the shot.

1. You are going to have alot of pain anywhere from one to seven days
Get ice on the area twenty minutes every other hour.
2. The relief will be immediate and you think the doctor is g-d

3. The relief will come and either go away in one day one week one month one year or for ever.

4. If you have very little pain after the injection soak the foot in hot water. If you have alot of pain then ice.

Dr. Biehler is right shots don't have to hurt at all. You can get a pt block and then inject or local anesthetic and then inject.

Make sure that Satan isn't giving you the steriod injection.

Dr. Biehler on 8/24/00 at 18:31 (026158)

When the cause of heel pain seems to be a pinched nerve in the back, the first step is normaly is a set of x-rays to see what going on there. As Podiatrist when I was working in a hospital I would recommend that they see the Orthopedic Doctor or Neurologist, I do however think there are some very good Chiropracters. The x-ray usually tend to show either a herniation or a degenerative disc disease going on. The treatment varies as to the cause of the nerve compression. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 8/24/00 at 20:34 (026166)

Dr. Z., too bad I didn't get my shot from you.
I DID get it from Satan, and to this day it spooks me that I didn't recognize him.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:22 (026168)

Ice, Ice ICe

Take some advil or something along that line. If you have something stronger it's ok, go for it.