Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z Question: I'm confused and scared as usual.

Posted by Kim B. on 8/23/00 at 23:33 (026115)

I found paragraph below at the radiology site that Pauline directed us to re: Tendon Shealths. I stumbled on this part, it's scary, (Foriegn to me of course.) My Question is this: Is PF curable in all three forms or categories it is divided into here? My concern is whether mine is going to be reverable. Will ESWT treat all 'categories' of PF or is it limited to one or two out of the three? I hope you follow my question.

Here is the paragraph that concerns me:

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar fasciitis represents inflammation of the plantar fascia and the perifascial structures. Its causes may be divided into three categories: mechanical, degenerative, and systemic. Although bone scintigraphy may reveal regions of increased accumulation of the radiopharmaceutical agent at the site of inflammation, the increased scintigraphic activity may be more widespread, producing a nonspecific pattern. MR imaging, however, appears to be both sensitive and specific in the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis, and it may be useful in cases in which the clinical diagnosis is in doubt.

Re: Dr. Z Question: I'm confused and scared as usual.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:05 (026150)

Most pf is mechanical which means over use.
Systemic means plantar fasciitis secondary for example rheumatoid arthritis.
Degnerative overlaps mechanical but probaby is due to an acute injury.

This sounds more terrible then it is. Most people who have mechanical will get better.
If you a Plantar fasciits secondary to Rheumatoid, or full body condition . Then is will have to be treated with medication just like you would be treated for Diabetes or high blood pressure, meaning that you will have up's and downs that will have to be addressed.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:10 (026152)

Don't worry I doubt that you have a systemic condition such as Rheumatoid arthritis. This can be confirmed by a physical examination and blood tests by your family doctor. Very rarely does pf start as the first problem with Rheumatoid Arthritis. So don't be scared this is cancer, but I realize that you have pain.

Kim B. on 8/24/00 at 19:24 (026163)

Thank you for your attention to my concern. My biggest fear is that my PF is actually Fibromyagia of the feet, and like my Fibromyalgia 'supposedly' not ever going to go away.

For the record, I haven't given up hope of FM remission completely. The is always 'spontaneous remission' and 'devine intrevention', and who knows, some dern fool in a lab could accidentally come up with 'the cure for FM', so I haven't given up on getting rid of the FM yet.

I'm just hope the PF will go away either on it's on or with ESWT or some other treatment. I would hate to spend that kind of dough $$ and then be told, 'too bad for you, it turns out you have FM in your feet and NOTHING is going to get rid of it. I know my thinking is complicated, but that is my concern.

How 'bout this doc, you treat my feet and ESWT works, I pay you with my next born child? Just kidding I would pay with real money! Besides, if you met my first born you'd run like hell from that deal anyway! I am serious about results = payment idea though. What do ya say Monte Hall, want to make a deal?

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 20:05 (026165)

I have seen FM in the feet. I have a patient that I did a pf release. and sure enough nothing happen . Some relief but very temporary. I did give her a steriod shot or two some relief and back to square one.
I just saw her the other day. Same feet . Same FM. I will do your your feet on your terms. I can't promise the results but sure would like to find out if I can cure FM of the feet.. The only promise you have to make is that if it fails we don't count itin my stats but if it does I do get your first born and the dough. If I known we could of had you and John H in the same room together.

Kim B. on 8/25/00 at 09:04 (026181)

Wow, I'm intrigured and suprised. I'll run this pass my husband if you are serious. I don't mind being a guinney pig, especially if it will help the FMers. And if does get rid of the PF, it will be worth the $$. Now, you DID see that I offered my NEXT born child, I'm keeping the one I have cause he's a pistol. And, you did see where I posted to the whole internet world that I am one year post hysterectomy. Long as we are straight on that part.

How is John? And you mentioned a woman with FM that you did PF release on, is she too far gone to benefit from the ESWT?

I have a Dr. Appointments cominging up next week, one with my Internist and one with child's pediatrition. Then, the following week I have appointments for my first ever Pod visit (for second opinion on the PF diagnosis) and I have an apppointment for a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss the scar revision I need for the dog bite scar on my face. So, you have little time to further perfect your skill before I show up in New Jersey.

If you're serious, email me direct and let me know what records I should gather to send your way. (email removed)

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 8/26/00 at 19:13 (026292)

kim: your deal with dr z sounds like the one i would make with a golf pro when i bouhgt clubs from him every few years. if i could beat him i would pay half price and if i lost i paid full price. what an idiot i was! i could not have beaten him in a lifetime. my thoughts on ESWT are if you can somehow get the $ together by all means go for it. it could work! there is little downside to this treatment. dr z needs to put that orbasone in a mobile truck and travel to our homes around the country to provide treatment. he could probably line up 10-15 patients very quick. the machine is mobile but as dr z probably sees many patients each day it would be difficult to do.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:05 (026150)

Most pf is mechanical which means over use.
Systemic means plantar fasciitis secondary for example rheumatoid arthritis.
Degnerative overlaps mechanical but probaby is due to an acute injury.

This sounds more terrible then it is. Most people who have mechanical will get better.
If you a Plantar fasciits secondary to Rheumatoid, or full body condition . Then is will have to be treated with medication just like you would be treated for Diabetes or high blood pressure, meaning that you will have up's and downs that will have to be addressed.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 18:10 (026152)

Don't worry I doubt that you have a systemic condition such as Rheumatoid arthritis. This can be confirmed by a physical examination and blood tests by your family doctor. Very rarely does pf start as the first problem with Rheumatoid Arthritis. So don't be scared this is cancer, but I realize that you have pain.

Kim B. on 8/24/00 at 19:24 (026163)

Thank you for your attention to my concern. My biggest fear is that my PF is actually Fibromyagia of the feet, and like my Fibromyalgia 'supposedly' not ever going to go away.

For the record, I haven't given up hope of FM remission completely. The is always 'spontaneous remission' and 'devine intrevention', and who knows, some dern fool in a lab could accidentally come up with 'the cure for FM', so I haven't given up on getting rid of the FM yet.

I'm just hope the PF will go away either on it's on or with ESWT or some other treatment. I would hate to spend that kind of dough $$ and then be told, 'too bad for you, it turns out you have FM in your feet and NOTHING is going to get rid of it. I know my thinking is complicated, but that is my concern.

How 'bout this doc, you treat my feet and ESWT works, I pay you with my next born child? Just kidding I would pay with real money! Besides, if you met my first born you'd run like hell from that deal anyway! I am serious about results = payment idea though. What do ya say Monte Hall, want to make a deal?

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 20:05 (026165)

I have seen FM in the feet. I have a patient that I did a pf release. and sure enough nothing happen . Some relief but very temporary. I did give her a steriod shot or two some relief and back to square one.
I just saw her the other day. Same feet . Same FM. I will do your your feet on your terms. I can't promise the results but sure would like to find out if I can cure FM of the feet.. The only promise you have to make is that if it fails we don't count itin my stats but if it does I do get your first born and the dough. If I known we could of had you and John H in the same room together.

Kim B. on 8/25/00 at 09:04 (026181)

Wow, I'm intrigured and suprised. I'll run this pass my husband if you are serious. I don't mind being a guinney pig, especially if it will help the FMers. And if does get rid of the PF, it will be worth the $$. Now, you DID see that I offered my NEXT born child, I'm keeping the one I have cause he's a pistol. And, you did see where I posted to the whole internet world that I am one year post hysterectomy. Long as we are straight on that part.

How is John? And you mentioned a woman with FM that you did PF release on, is she too far gone to benefit from the ESWT?

I have a Dr. Appointments cominging up next week, one with my Internist and one with child's pediatrition. Then, the following week I have appointments for my first ever Pod visit (for second opinion on the PF diagnosis) and I have an apppointment for a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss the scar revision I need for the dog bite scar on my face. So, you have little time to further perfect your skill before I show up in New Jersey.

If you're serious, email me direct and let me know what records I should gather to send your way. (email removed)

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 8/26/00 at 19:13 (026292)

kim: your deal with dr z sounds like the one i would make with a golf pro when i bouhgt clubs from him every few years. if i could beat him i would pay half price and if i lost i paid full price. what an idiot i was! i could not have beaten him in a lifetime. my thoughts on ESWT are if you can somehow get the $ together by all means go for it. it could work! there is little downside to this treatment. dr z needs to put that orbasone in a mobile truck and travel to our homes around the country to provide treatment. he could probably line up 10-15 patients very quick. the machine is mobile but as dr z probably sees many patients each day it would be difficult to do.