Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

If you have PF and/or other tendonitis, Please answer this survey asking What Kind of Climate Do You Live In?

Posted by Nancy S. on 8/24/00 at 15:06 (026137)

1. always very dry where I live
2. sometimes dry, sometimes humid
3. usually there is some humidity
4. always humid
Please select your response to the above survey question: View Thread
Results View Thread
.option 1 = 2 votes . . . voters: home.com, home.com,
.option 2 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 3 = 13 votes . . . voters: max3-64.cei.net, redconnect.net, , att.net, pm2-ppp102.ont.net, , rcn.com, psi.net, splitrock.net, securit-v1.twc.com, ntl.com, rcn.com, slip-05.bard.edu,
.option 4 = 5 votes . . . voters: mindspring.com, msstate.edu, alltel.net, sdn-ar-001txcchrp305.dialsprint.net, aol.com,

Re: If you have PF and/or other tendonitis, Please answer this survey -- Hoping for many responses

Nancy S. on 8/24/00 at 15:10 (026139)

After my 16 months of PF and now including achilles, peroneal, and post. tib. tendonitis, we are starting to seriously consider moving to a radically different climate. It's just in the thinking stage right now, but your responses would be very helpful. Thanks.
Nancy

Re: If you have PF and/or other tendonitis, Please answer this survey -- Hoping for many responses

Terry on 8/24/00 at 15:39 (026141)

Nancy - Do not move to New Orleans unless you REALLY like the heat! It is too doggone hot. Terry

Re: If you have PF and/or other tendonitis, Please answer this survey asking What Kind of Climate Do You Live In?

Trish on 8/24/00 at 18:25 (026157)

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; VERY dry cold winters and short, hot summers, relatively dry in the summer, but more humid than the winters. I've had PF for 9 yrs., and have not noticed any pattern related to the seasons, but haven't ruled out that theory yet either!

Re: If you have PF and/or other tendonitis, Please answer this survey asking What Kind of Climate Do You Live In?

Kim B. on 8/24/00 at 19:05 (026161)

Let us know what your survey yeilds. I live in Texas, it is humid at times. (I opted #3, fyi) It is very hot in the summer, too much concrete. Maybe your question should be 'PF Pain Sufferers,where do you live?' and then, we should move to where no one was from, of course.

If you find someone with a lot of metiorology knowlege, My FM pain flairs up worse when there is a drop in the barometric pressure, when rain is on the way, that kind of thing. The rain is not so bad once it gets going. It's just the 'on the way' pressure building thing. So how is humidity and barometric pressure related? that may be something to tie together. I dunno.

There is my input, that will be $4.00 please. :-)

Kim B.

Beverly on 8/24/00 at 21:32 (026169)

I live a few minutes from the ocean in South Texas. It is always humid here.

I have not yet seen a correlation with PF, but I have noticed that other joints tend to ache more on cloudy/it's gonna rain type of days.
I think that's common.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 06:51 (026175)

People often move to dry climates because the dryness can affect arthritis and other systemic joint problems (like your FM, Kim) for the better, which I know are different from PF and tendonitis. But I'm curious, because (1) at times on the board some people have sworn that their PF felt worse with humid weather and (2) my brother had terrible foot pain (not systemic, never really diagnosed, but mostly involving achilles tendons) in the 1970s while living in Boston -- I mean he was practically crippled, we almost got run over by a bus once because he couldn't move fast enough to get out of the way -- and then he moved to Utah and poof! was cured.
So I'm curious. I live 10 miles from the ocean and less than a mile from a lake, and the water table around here is very high and it's always damp.
Of course the very dry areas in this country are far fewer than mixed or humid areas, so that would have to play into any statistical correlation. But I don't remember reading posts from people who live in Utah, New Mexico, the really dry parts of Texas, and I remember only one from Arizona.
Kim, you're charging me only $4 for your input? That's cheap! Thanks for the break!
Nancy

Re: What Kind of Climate Do You Live In?

Susan S on 8/25/00 at 11:29 (026187)

I'm in Mississippi where it is 107 today and it's not the heat that gets ya but the humidity.

Re: There may be a demographic reason for less posts in these dry climates. Less people live there.

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 15:38 (026202)

There may be a simple demographic reason why there are fewer PF posts (as far as we know) from people in dry climates like: New Mexico, Arizona, far West Texas, and Utah. There are not as many people living there.

New Mexico has very few cities, and none of them are large. West Texas is mostly small towns and open land. The few cities there are not all that big. I know less about city sizes in Utah and Arizona, but I do know both of those states have lots and lots of open land.

Then, take cities like: Houston, New York, L.A., San Francisco, San Diego,ect... There are millions of people who live there. Population in the US is heavier along and near the coastlines. So, it just makes sense that there are more of us here on the board who live in humid or semi-humid climates. There are more people there to begin with.

Beverly

Re: There may be a demographic reason for less posts in these dry climates. Less people live there.

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 16:20 (026203)

Good point, Beverly. I wonder if any orthos or pods have ever researched the regional per capita occurance of PF. If I remember correctily, currently there is only one poster on this Board who is from Arizona.

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 17:22 (026208)

Ya, I know more people live in certain areas of the U.S. (thought I said that, but maybe not, it's not my clearest week).
The population of the state of Maine is 1 million, and since I've been on the board there have been 3 or 4 posters from here.
The population of New Mexico is nearly 2 million, as is the population of Nevada. The population of Utah is 2.2 million; of Arizona, 4.8 million.
I just wonder, is all. I don't expect to come up with any scientifically or statistically significant report. I also wonder why my brother was literally cured the second he moved to Utah, and stayed that way for four-plus years; now he lives in upstate N.Y. (fairly humid) and has foot pain when it is very cold or when it is very humid in any season.
Nancy

Re: There may be a demographic reason . . . --However,

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 17:29 (026209)

. . . the trouble I do have with the dry states is not the people population but the killer-bee population! From what I've been reading, sounds high! Help, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

john h on 8/25/00 at 19:42 (026226)

nancy your survey sounds like a survey about martinis!

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 20:35 (026232)

John h, you of all people would say that about my most scientific survey.
Your experience with Dr. Z. sounds terrific, the flying experiences notwithstanding, and I will eagerly read your reports about the effects as time passes.
Actually, as a first step before even seriously thinking of moving, my husband and I are talking of taking a month this winter and driving & camping to dry areas of the country. I have no idea if this will help my foot problems, and for all I know they might be better then than now anyway, after the air cast and physical therapy are through. But at the very least, it will help my mood and brain. I am so stir-crazy at this point that I don't know what.
I just this week missed my one summer 'vacation' -- a three-day family reunion 4 hours from here -- because a cat escaped the house an hour before we were to leave and was lost in the woods, until 5 a.m. the next morning. My feet got wrecked as I half ran/hobbled after her. So it's a setback week, and I need something different to look forward to.
Good luck, John!
Nancy

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 21:58 (026241)

I've never seen a killer bee. Been down here in 'killer bee' territory all my life. At least I can see and here a bee coming. My bit of spookiness is the thought of those nasty, sneaky, Lyme ridden ticks up North.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 22:20 (026243)

Beverly, yes, Lyme disease ticks are worth being spooked by. There aren't many in Maine (yet), but I do have a friend who got Lyme disease and it went undiagnosed for over a year.
The trouble with killer bees is that by the time you see and hear them, they're all over you. Glad you don't have them where you are. (I should confess: I am allergic to bees and have a phobia about them, so take my fear with a grain of salt!)
Nancy

john h on 8/26/00 at 21:41 (026302)

nancy: it has been 100+ for about 18 out of 20 days and my feet still hurt. they hurt when it was 0 degrees with no humidity. they hurt in florida,alabama,georgia,new jersey, washington,maryland,virginia,tennessee,mississippi, lousiana and at 38,000 feet in the air. i bet they would hurt in outer space with zero gravity come to think about it. at one time i had one of those devices you hang upside down on like a bat with special boots. i wish i still had it to see it that would have any effect.

sandy h on 8/27/00 at 12:40 (026343)

my experience is that climate has made no change in my pf. i lived in a very humid environment(australia) and moved to a very dry climate (arizona) it has actually gotten worse but i think it is related to other factors rather than humidity. one thing i have noticed is that i do better at a lower elevation, i live at 7000 ft and travel frequently to low elevation. i also sem to do better on very hot days. no conclusions, just observations!!!!

Nancy S. on 8/27/00 at 12:46 (026346)

Thank you, Sandy, and everyone else.
I guess my geographical-cure hopes are dashed.
However, I still hope to go camping far away this winter, to make a major dent in cabin fever. And if I go to Utah, and tell the sky that I'm Jeff's sister, maybe some of his cure will rub off on me.
Nancy

Terry on 8/27/00 at 13:43 (026353)

Nancy S. - Look at it this way, at least you got some great vacation spot suggestions! Maine sounds ideal to me. Have you read Colony? Terry

Nancy S. on 8/24/00 at 15:10 (026139)

After my 16 months of PF and now including achilles, peroneal, and post. tib. tendonitis, we are starting to seriously consider moving to a radically different climate. It's just in the thinking stage right now, but your responses would be very helpful. Thanks.
Nancy

Terry on 8/24/00 at 15:39 (026141)

Nancy - Do not move to New Orleans unless you REALLY like the heat! It is too doggone hot. Terry

Trish on 8/24/00 at 18:25 (026157)

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; VERY dry cold winters and short, hot summers, relatively dry in the summer, but more humid than the winters. I've had PF for 9 yrs., and have not noticed any pattern related to the seasons, but haven't ruled out that theory yet either!

Kim B. on 8/24/00 at 19:05 (026161)

Let us know what your survey yeilds. I live in Texas, it is humid at times. (I opted #3, fyi) It is very hot in the summer, too much concrete. Maybe your question should be 'PF Pain Sufferers,where do you live?' and then, we should move to where no one was from, of course.

If you find someone with a lot of metiorology knowlege, My FM pain flairs up worse when there is a drop in the barometric pressure, when rain is on the way, that kind of thing. The rain is not so bad once it gets going. It's just the 'on the way' pressure building thing. So how is humidity and barometric pressure related? that may be something to tie together. I dunno.

There is my input, that will be $4.00 please. :-)

Kim B.

Beverly on 8/24/00 at 21:32 (026169)

I live a few minutes from the ocean in South Texas. It is always humid here.

I have not yet seen a correlation with PF, but I have noticed that other joints tend to ache more on cloudy/it's gonna rain type of days.
I think that's common.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 06:51 (026175)

People often move to dry climates because the dryness can affect arthritis and other systemic joint problems (like your FM, Kim) for the better, which I know are different from PF and tendonitis. But I'm curious, because (1) at times on the board some people have sworn that their PF felt worse with humid weather and (2) my brother had terrible foot pain (not systemic, never really diagnosed, but mostly involving achilles tendons) in the 1970s while living in Boston -- I mean he was practically crippled, we almost got run over by a bus once because he couldn't move fast enough to get out of the way -- and then he moved to Utah and poof! was cured.
So I'm curious. I live 10 miles from the ocean and less than a mile from a lake, and the water table around here is very high and it's always damp.
Of course the very dry areas in this country are far fewer than mixed or humid areas, so that would have to play into any statistical correlation. But I don't remember reading posts from people who live in Utah, New Mexico, the really dry parts of Texas, and I remember only one from Arizona.
Kim, you're charging me only $4 for your input? That's cheap! Thanks for the break!
Nancy

Re: What Kind of Climate Do You Live In?

Susan S on 8/25/00 at 11:29 (026187)

I'm in Mississippi where it is 107 today and it's not the heat that gets ya but the humidity.

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 15:38 (026202)

There may be a simple demographic reason why there are fewer PF posts (as far as we know) from people in dry climates like: New Mexico, Arizona, far West Texas, and Utah. There are not as many people living there.

New Mexico has very few cities, and none of them are large. West Texas is mostly small towns and open land. The few cities there are not all that big. I know less about city sizes in Utah and Arizona, but I do know both of those states have lots and lots of open land.

Then, take cities like: Houston, New York, L.A., San Francisco, San Diego,ect... There are millions of people who live there. Population in the US is heavier along and near the coastlines. So, it just makes sense that there are more of us here on the board who live in humid or semi-humid climates. There are more people there to begin with.

Beverly

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 16:20 (026203)

Good point, Beverly. I wonder if any orthos or pods have ever researched the regional per capita occurance of PF. If I remember correctily, currently there is only one poster on this Board who is from Arizona.

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 17:22 (026208)

Ya, I know more people live in certain areas of the U.S. (thought I said that, but maybe not, it's not my clearest week).
The population of the state of Maine is 1 million, and since I've been on the board there have been 3 or 4 posters from here.
The population of New Mexico is nearly 2 million, as is the population of Nevada. The population of Utah is 2.2 million; of Arizona, 4.8 million.
I just wonder, is all. I don't expect to come up with any scientifically or statistically significant report. I also wonder why my brother was literally cured the second he moved to Utah, and stayed that way for four-plus years; now he lives in upstate N.Y. (fairly humid) and has foot pain when it is very cold or when it is very humid in any season.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 17:29 (026209)

. . . the trouble I do have with the dry states is not the people population but the killer-bee population! From what I've been reading, sounds high! Help, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

john h on 8/25/00 at 19:42 (026226)

nancy your survey sounds like a survey about martinis!

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 20:35 (026232)

John h, you of all people would say that about my most scientific survey.
Your experience with Dr. Z. sounds terrific, the flying experiences notwithstanding, and I will eagerly read your reports about the effects as time passes.
Actually, as a first step before even seriously thinking of moving, my husband and I are talking of taking a month this winter and driving & camping to dry areas of the country. I have no idea if this will help my foot problems, and for all I know they might be better then than now anyway, after the air cast and physical therapy are through. But at the very least, it will help my mood and brain. I am so stir-crazy at this point that I don't know what.
I just this week missed my one summer 'vacation' -- a three-day family reunion 4 hours from here -- because a cat escaped the house an hour before we were to leave and was lost in the woods, until 5 a.m. the next morning. My feet got wrecked as I half ran/hobbled after her. So it's a setback week, and I need something different to look forward to.
Good luck, John!
Nancy

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 21:58 (026241)

I've never seen a killer bee. Been down here in 'killer bee' territory all my life. At least I can see and here a bee coming. My bit of spookiness is the thought of those nasty, sneaky, Lyme ridden ticks up North.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 22:20 (026243)

Beverly, yes, Lyme disease ticks are worth being spooked by. There aren't many in Maine (yet), but I do have a friend who got Lyme disease and it went undiagnosed for over a year.
The trouble with killer bees is that by the time you see and hear them, they're all over you. Glad you don't have them where you are. (I should confess: I am allergic to bees and have a phobia about them, so take my fear with a grain of salt!)
Nancy

john h on 8/26/00 at 21:41 (026302)

nancy: it has been 100+ for about 18 out of 20 days and my feet still hurt. they hurt when it was 0 degrees with no humidity. they hurt in florida,alabama,georgia,new jersey, washington,maryland,virginia,tennessee,mississippi, lousiana and at 38,000 feet in the air. i bet they would hurt in outer space with zero gravity come to think about it. at one time i had one of those devices you hang upside down on like a bat with special boots. i wish i still had it to see it that would have any effect.

sandy h on 8/27/00 at 12:40 (026343)

my experience is that climate has made no change in my pf. i lived in a very humid environment(australia) and moved to a very dry climate (arizona) it has actually gotten worse but i think it is related to other factors rather than humidity. one thing i have noticed is that i do better at a lower elevation, i live at 7000 ft and travel frequently to low elevation. i also sem to do better on very hot days. no conclusions, just observations!!!!

Nancy S. on 8/27/00 at 12:46 (026346)

Thank you, Sandy, and everyone else.
I guess my geographical-cure hopes are dashed.
However, I still hope to go camping far away this winter, to make a major dent in cabin fever. And if I go to Utah, and tell the sky that I'm Jeff's sister, maybe some of his cure will rub off on me.
Nancy

Terry on 8/27/00 at 13:43 (026353)

Nancy S. - Look at it this way, at least you got some great vacation spot suggestions! Maine sounds ideal to me. Have you read Colony? Terry