Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr. Zuckerman

Posted by Pauline on 8/24/00 at 16:07 (026142)

In treating PF what conditions would have to be met before you would
consider putting a patient in a cast. I think I may be heading that way and am trying to avoid it. Can the cast be only up to the ankle?
Recently I tried an air cast to the knee and actually felt pain against my arch when trying to walk with it. It had a large rocker
type rubber on the bottom, well padded, but pushed against the arch when stepped on. Currently I cannot stand anything against the arch so I am really afraid of having a hard cast there. Do they really
help that much inspite of the atrophy that takes place from wearing them? I think I would rather cut off my foot first.

Re: To Dr. Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 17:53 (026147)

There are alot of different types of casts.

boot cast can go right below the knee
Boot cast that can go just above the ankle
slipper cast just the bottom of the foot. This one has to be made by the doctor.

You could use taping to see if this helps before going to any type of cast.
If you are having arch pain from the cast. The doctor can pad the area with cast padding and any other area where there is pain from rubbing.

Re: To Dr. Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 17:53 (026147)

There are alot of different types of casts.

boot cast can go right below the knee
Boot cast that can go just above the ankle
slipper cast just the bottom of the foot. This one has to be made by the doctor.

You could use taping to see if this helps before going to any type of cast.
If you are having arch pain from the cast. The doctor can pad the area with cast padding and any other area where there is pain from rubbing.