Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My life in an air cast.

Posted by Donna on 8/24/00 at 19:37 (026164)

When does the pain stop? I have been in my air cast since the end of July. I wear it all day and take it off around 9:30 at night. Alot of the pain has gone but I still have pain. Getting up in the morning, mid-day throbbing pain, just like before except less of the time. I guess I figured after wearing this for almost a month I wouldn't have any pain. I am a first time wearer of the cast and I am just looking for some thoughts on how much longer, I am beginning to personalize the cast, you know you've been there too long. Thank you.

Re: My life in an air cast.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:19 (026167)

Why were placed into the air cast to start with. I would think that after one month you would be at least 70-80 % better?

Donna on 8/25/00 at 17:00 (026206)

Dr. Z.,
I was put in the air cast for PF. Like I said I am in less pain but I still have pain, yesterday it was throbbing when I came home from work, and I sit in front of a PC so it's not like I'm on my feet. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be or hope at the end of my cast? I would think after a month I wouldn't envy people who can walk normal without pain. I honestly look at people now and think , 'wow, look at them walking fast like that'. This is a sad way to live. Thanks for any help you can give.
Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 18:13 (026215)

So,
You don't walk very much ,you sit at a desk in front of a PC. How did you get the pf in the first place. ????. Was it from an injury. Are there other problems with joints in your upper and lower extremity.
How is your back doing these days.

Dr. Z

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 21:33 (026239)

Hi Donna,
Just a little empathy here. I've been in the air cast for just over 3 weeks -- both for PF and for triple tendonitis. It isn't fun, is it -- it's really another form of rest. Plus it's encasing and claustrophobic, and you want everything to be all better after going through it.
But my understanding is that it is another form of rest, that its purpose is to take down inflammation and pain, but isn't a cure-all. There is still work to be done afterward: getting your leg and foot back in shape, and strong again. This will take some time and work. So I think that realistically, we can expect to have less pain and inflammation than before, but will need to give the problem(s) further strengthening and flexibility attention, and still be careful -- the cast isn't a cure, but a way to interrupt the pain cycle and get started again on a better path.
I know just what you mean, as I'm sure many here do, about watching other people just walking normally, and having those thoughts about how miraculous it seems that they can do that. It's natural -- but try not to spend much time with it. We have to deal with what we're given, so it's all relative. I mean, that person walking normally might be hit by a Mack truck tomorrow (though I hope not!).
I am not painless either after these weeks in the cast -- but I have tendonitis x3 in both feet (PF only in the casted one), have been having physical therapy, and the casted foot is noticeably less painful during PT massage than the other one now. Swelling has gone down some.
So I think there is progress, and the next step is to build gradually on that progress. I hope that for you too!
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:19 (026167)

Why were placed into the air cast to start with. I would think that after one month you would be at least 70-80 % better?

Donna on 8/25/00 at 17:00 (026206)

Dr. Z.,
I was put in the air cast for PF. Like I said I am in less pain but I still have pain, yesterday it was throbbing when I came home from work, and I sit in front of a PC so it's not like I'm on my feet. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be or hope at the end of my cast? I would think after a month I wouldn't envy people who can walk normal without pain. I honestly look at people now and think , 'wow, look at them walking fast like that'. This is a sad way to live. Thanks for any help you can give.
Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 18:13 (026215)

So,
You don't walk very much ,you sit at a desk in front of a PC. How did you get the pf in the first place. ????. Was it from an injury. Are there other problems with joints in your upper and lower extremity.
How is your back doing these days.

Dr. Z

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 21:33 (026239)

Hi Donna,
Just a little empathy here. I've been in the air cast for just over 3 weeks -- both for PF and for triple tendonitis. It isn't fun, is it -- it's really another form of rest. Plus it's encasing and claustrophobic, and you want everything to be all better after going through it.
But my understanding is that it is another form of rest, that its purpose is to take down inflammation and pain, but isn't a cure-all. There is still work to be done afterward: getting your leg and foot back in shape, and strong again. This will take some time and work. So I think that realistically, we can expect to have less pain and inflammation than before, but will need to give the problem(s) further strengthening and flexibility attention, and still be careful -- the cast isn't a cure, but a way to interrupt the pain cycle and get started again on a better path.
I know just what you mean, as I'm sure many here do, about watching other people just walking normally, and having those thoughts about how miraculous it seems that they can do that. It's natural -- but try not to spend much time with it. We have to deal with what we're given, so it's all relative. I mean, that person walking normally might be hit by a Mack truck tomorrow (though I hope not!).
I am not painless either after these weeks in the cast -- but I have tendonitis x3 in both feet (PF only in the casted one), have been having physical therapy, and the casted foot is noticeably less painful during PT massage than the other one now. Swelling has gone down some.
So I think there is progress, and the next step is to build gradually on that progress. I hope that for you too!
Nancy