Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pass this on to your Doctors.- how to give a steriod injection and other things you didn't learn in kindergarden

Posted by Cr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:40 (026170)

Ok. first press on the area where the pain is but not to hard.
Next take a pen and mark the area. Mark sure that you tell the patient that you are going to mark the area with a pen . Show them and tell them what you are doing If you don't the they may mistake the pen for the needle and kick you where you should be kicked.

Ok. Now take a 3cc with a #27 gauge needle. You can mix the steriod of your choice with 1% lidocaine plain. No marcaine it hurts like @#$%% I like depo-medrol it does cost a few dollars.
So you hae the shot already. Oh don't load or show the needle to your patient. Now take the very cold spray and spray on the side of the foot . Now wait until the area turns white. Put the needle into the foot.
Not too far into the foot. Inject very slowly to get the area right under the skin numb. The scret is to numb in front of the needle and then move the needle forward. This way you are numbing the path to the painful area. Go real slow. Talk to your patient don't stare at what you are doing . Tell the patient very thing is going great, Keep you finger on the area where you marked the pain, it is usually
the medial tubercle where the pf inserts into the heel bone. Now you are at the area and the area is numb you are always injecting the area with anesthetic before you move the needle forward. About now you are done the patient is still smiling. . Tell the patient that they were great. They were great . Who in their right mind want to have someone stick a needle into the foot. Now leave the room and tell the patient it is over and you are coming back to check the foot. After you go into the bathroom and throw up come back and press on the medial tuberle area from the bottom The patient should be pain-free if they aren't go directly to jail you missed the spot.

I am copyrighting this technique to only members of the heelspurs.com
Any doctor who doesn't use this technique must let their patient give them the injection to the doctor . In school we had to inject each other you learn very quickly this way what it feels like and that if you don't follow the above directions will hurt like !@##$. Heelspurs. com will give out contining educational credits to any doctor who uses this technique without the patient feeling this technique. Good luck doctors and teach your patient like you would want to be treaed yourself. With out pain.!!!!

Re: Pass this on to your Doctors.- how to give a steriod injection and other things you didn't learn in kindergarden

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:44 (026171)

There are some spelling mistake in the above instructions for giving steriod injections. It should read treat your patients like you would want to be treated youself. WITH OUT PAIN

Re: Pass this on to your Doctors.- how to give a steriod injection and other things you didn't learn in kindergarden

KarenS on 8/24/00 at 23:27 (026173)

Well done Dr. Z. I wish I had these instructions for my Dr. when I had my shot. Mine was very painful, therefore it was the only one I let them do.

Thanks...Karen

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 07:35 (026177)

These sound like great instructions.
My ex-pod. followed some of them, except:

(1) He said, 'Ok, now I'm going to have to hurt you a little bit,' and proceeded to press so *%#^@&)@ hard on the spot that I just about hit the ceiling.
(2) He did let me see the needle, and it wasn't pretty.
(3) He sprayed the freezing stuff on for so long and so close in to the pain, for about 2 minutes, that I almost hit the sky.
(4) He did go slowly, very slowly, but the needle must have been too big or something. I almost passed out from the pain.
(5) He did not talk to me, maybe because he figured I was almost passed out.
(6) He did not have the decency to go throw up after nearly killing me.

I did walk out of the appt., and I didn't feel anything for about 5 hours. Then the pain was back, worse than ever.
I'd ask you what you think of this, but I guess I already know. Thank you.
Nancy

Sam on 8/25/00 at 10:59 (026185)

my pod didn't even check for where the pain was. He just injected. At the time, I just assumed that was where the injection had to go (for some mysterious reason that I couldn't possibly understand). In retrospect, actually having the shot where the pain is would probably have made a difference. Hmmm.

Stephanie S. on 8/25/00 at 11:29 (026188)

Dr.Z....I absolutely loved it!! I'm still laughing....I wish that
all doctors where as caring and wonderful as you.

It really upsets me now....looking back...that the shot I had in the
heel...should not have been that bad...that I could've been given somekind of topical before and during the shot. I asked repeatedly for it....and was told there wasn't one...just bare through it.

I will give him this...he was honest enought to say it hurt like *&%$...on a scale of 1-10....it ranked a 10 in pain. Said it would either cure it or make it worse.

It was 'the most horrible' shot I've ever experienced...cried like a baby...so much I refused the other heel to be done. He did however go
get me a wet rag afterwards...I really thought it would be me that day
...to 'lose my cookies'.

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but...I haven't seen that doctor
since...I changed to another doc...maybe it is partly because of that shot...who knows.

Stephanie S.

Dr. Biehler on 8/25/00 at 11:51 (026190)

I actually had a Dr. once, who gave painful shots, try to teach me how to hold a patients leg down so you wouldn't get kicked durring the procedure. They must either do it to save time, they have no empathy or they just don't know better. Dr. Biehler

Helene M on 8/25/00 at 12:54 (026193)

I also wish I had had these instructions for my dr before the excrutiating shot he gave me! Realistically, though, since many drs seem to have big egos, how can we as patients give them instructions without them being highly insulted?

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 13:54 (026194)

First, for the record, I'm not that other JUDY S! I'm the same old one! It's a little scary to know that there are more than one of us!

Once again I'm echoing Nancy's shot experience across the board. I know we've talked about this a lot but it seems to bear repeating. It was excruciating all 3 times and it didn't help.

Had a setback in PT this week. Seems the therapist dug a little too deep this time and somewhat reinjured the big toe tendon that had been getting SO much better! It was pretty swollen and way sore this AM so he said no PT and no exercise today (oh sure, I wonder if HE'LL come over and do the laundry....). But all in all, the PT has vastly improved my secondary tendonitis in those big toe muscle/tendons. I was able to ride my recumbant bike last nite with none of the usual 'toe-pointing' pain and I can sleep without having to hang my feet off the bottom of the mattress! Funny thing is, for awhile I was reporting here only this secondary tendonitis and very little heel pain. Well, as I work more in PT to regain a normal gait and eliminate the big-toe tendonitis thing, guess what's becoming more sore again? I'm really beginning to think I did some VERY BAD thing somewhere in my past (or past lives!) to have earned this part of the 'goes around comes around' cycle!

So today the PT says, 'Judy, I have some information for you to take home and read'........and he handed me a printout of Scott's book! 'Ha' I said, 'I gave a copy of that to my Pod some time ago.' The printout he gave me today was dated last December and I honestly think that that's when I gave a copy to my Pod! The PT said he didn't know where it had come from!

Kim, I miss you already!
Dr. Z - add my best wishes to JohnH.........and couldn't we ALL just gather at your place for a weekend of fun ESWT and partying? We just need to find an underwriter!

Re: Dr. Z & Dr. B.: What about the doctor ego problem when patient gives helpful info. like this?

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 15:18 (026199)

Dr. Z. and Dr. B.,

I printed off your instructions on giving shots. It was both entertaining and educational. It is going in my PF file.
But I am trying to picture how I would approach this with my locally renowned sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. I have not found most doctors to be open to suggestions from the patient. Any ideas?
Beverly

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 15:22 (026200)

The problem, Dr. Z, is; how to pass your instructions on to our highly-sensitive doctors without insulting them. I'm pretty sure most Docs I've seen would get huffy with me if I tried, even in the most tactful of ways, to augment their shot-giving education.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/00 at 21:44 (026171)

There are some spelling mistake in the above instructions for giving steriod injections. It should read treat your patients like you would want to be treated youself. WITH OUT PAIN

KarenS on 8/24/00 at 23:27 (026173)

Well done Dr. Z. I wish I had these instructions for my Dr. when I had my shot. Mine was very painful, therefore it was the only one I let them do.

Thanks...Karen

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 07:35 (026177)

These sound like great instructions.
My ex-pod. followed some of them, except:

(1) He said, 'Ok, now I'm going to have to hurt you a little bit,' and proceeded to press so *%#^@&)@ hard on the spot that I just about hit the ceiling.
(2) He did let me see the needle, and it wasn't pretty.
(3) He sprayed the freezing stuff on for so long and so close in to the pain, for about 2 minutes, that I almost hit the sky.
(4) He did go slowly, very slowly, but the needle must have been too big or something. I almost passed out from the pain.
(5) He did not talk to me, maybe because he figured I was almost passed out.
(6) He did not have the decency to go throw up after nearly killing me.

I did walk out of the appt., and I didn't feel anything for about 5 hours. Then the pain was back, worse than ever.
I'd ask you what you think of this, but I guess I already know. Thank you.
Nancy

Sam on 8/25/00 at 10:59 (026185)

my pod didn't even check for where the pain was. He just injected. At the time, I just assumed that was where the injection had to go (for some mysterious reason that I couldn't possibly understand). In retrospect, actually having the shot where the pain is would probably have made a difference. Hmmm.

Stephanie S. on 8/25/00 at 11:29 (026188)

Dr.Z....I absolutely loved it!! I'm still laughing....I wish that
all doctors where as caring and wonderful as you.

It really upsets me now....looking back...that the shot I had in the
heel...should not have been that bad...that I could've been given somekind of topical before and during the shot. I asked repeatedly for it....and was told there wasn't one...just bare through it.

I will give him this...he was honest enought to say it hurt like *&%$...on a scale of 1-10....it ranked a 10 in pain. Said it would either cure it or make it worse.

It was 'the most horrible' shot I've ever experienced...cried like a baby...so much I refused the other heel to be done. He did however go
get me a wet rag afterwards...I really thought it would be me that day
...to 'lose my cookies'.

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but...I haven't seen that doctor
since...I changed to another doc...maybe it is partly because of that shot...who knows.

Stephanie S.

Dr. Biehler on 8/25/00 at 11:51 (026190)

I actually had a Dr. once, who gave painful shots, try to teach me how to hold a patients leg down so you wouldn't get kicked durring the procedure. They must either do it to save time, they have no empathy or they just don't know better. Dr. Biehler

Helene M on 8/25/00 at 12:54 (026193)

I also wish I had had these instructions for my dr before the excrutiating shot he gave me! Realistically, though, since many drs seem to have big egos, how can we as patients give them instructions without them being highly insulted?

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 13:54 (026194)

First, for the record, I'm not that other JUDY S! I'm the same old one! It's a little scary to know that there are more than one of us!

Once again I'm echoing Nancy's shot experience across the board. I know we've talked about this a lot but it seems to bear repeating. It was excruciating all 3 times and it didn't help.

Had a setback in PT this week. Seems the therapist dug a little too deep this time and somewhat reinjured the big toe tendon that had been getting SO much better! It was pretty swollen and way sore this AM so he said no PT and no exercise today (oh sure, I wonder if HE'LL come over and do the laundry....). But all in all, the PT has vastly improved my secondary tendonitis in those big toe muscle/tendons. I was able to ride my recumbant bike last nite with none of the usual 'toe-pointing' pain and I can sleep without having to hang my feet off the bottom of the mattress! Funny thing is, for awhile I was reporting here only this secondary tendonitis and very little heel pain. Well, as I work more in PT to regain a normal gait and eliminate the big-toe tendonitis thing, guess what's becoming more sore again? I'm really beginning to think I did some VERY BAD thing somewhere in my past (or past lives!) to have earned this part of the 'goes around comes around' cycle!

So today the PT says, 'Judy, I have some information for you to take home and read'........and he handed me a printout of Scott's book! 'Ha' I said, 'I gave a copy of that to my Pod some time ago.' The printout he gave me today was dated last December and I honestly think that that's when I gave a copy to my Pod! The PT said he didn't know where it had come from!

Kim, I miss you already!
Dr. Z - add my best wishes to JohnH.........and couldn't we ALL just gather at your place for a weekend of fun ESWT and partying? We just need to find an underwriter!

Re: Dr. Z & Dr. B.: What about the doctor ego problem when patient gives helpful info. like this?

Beverly on 8/25/00 at 15:18 (026199)

Dr. Z. and Dr. B.,

I printed off your instructions on giving shots. It was both entertaining and educational. It is going in my PF file.
But I am trying to picture how I would approach this with my locally renowned sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. I have not found most doctors to be open to suggestions from the patient. Any ideas?
Beverly

JudyS on 8/25/00 at 15:22 (026200)

The problem, Dr. Z, is; how to pass your instructions on to our highly-sensitive doctors without insulting them. I'm pretty sure most Docs I've seen would get huffy with me if I tried, even in the most tactful of ways, to augment their shot-giving education.