Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery update - ouch! and HELP!

Posted by Pat M. on 8/25/00 at 05:47 (026174)

Hey everyone,
Wednesday I went to my doc for my 3 week checkup since surgery. He finished taking out the stitches and told me to walk. WALK! I told him that I thought he was nuts, but he just laughed and said to do it anyway. I did it. I walked. Not very well, I might add.
I went school yesterday with my suffleing gait and everyone there was so proud that I was actually on my feet. It did hurt alot, but during the day I could feel my foot loosening up and (at times) feeling a little better. I did make one trip to our campus nurse for something for the pain about 10:45.
My problem this morning is that my calf is so sore that I can barely put any weight on it at all. ( I did use the crutches yesterday for support.) I'm giving serious consideration to staying home today and babying myself. I haven't done that since this surgery thing started. I think that I need to pat myself on the back just for that. ( I'm very proud of me!:))
Any suggestions for loosening up this calf muscle. I know the foot pain will just take awhile. I thought that since I was never in a cast or anything imobilizing, that I wouldn't have a problem with the leg muscles. However, I suppose not using it for 3 weeks has caused problems. I have really done everything that the doctor said to do! REally!!! He didn't give me any ideas about the muscle thing, though.
Any help will be appreciated. I tried soaking in hot water. (My answer to just about everything from sore muscles to headaches.) That helped some last night, but this morning I had trouble just walking to the bathroom. HELP!
Thank you very much. :-0

Re: Surgery update - ouch! and HELP!

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 07:07 (026176)

Hi Pat,
I'm assuming you don't want to be pulling on the fascia at this stage? If not, I would sit on the floor with legs straight out (after a hot bath), and lean forward as if to try to touch the toes. Start out holding that lean, which will stretch the calf, just for a few seconds. I would try this 2 or 3 times a day, and over the next few weeks increase the hold gradually.
This is what I would recommend based on my limited knowledge.
But your doctor, who supposedly has more knowledge, should have known better! To place you on your feet that suddenly, with no muscle preparation, three weeks after surgery and probably months of tightness before that, seems . . . well, stupid. I could screeeeaaaaam!
Good for you for taking the day off -- sounds like your body is telling you to do that, and sounds like it is talking to you better than your doctor is. Good luck, and do this all more gradually than he is telling you. You were in a wheelchair, yes? If I were you I would still use it part of the day and wean yourself away from it as your legs and feet get stronger.
Nancy

Pat M. on 8/25/00 at 07:52 (026178)

Sounds good, Nancy. I am quite sure that I did over do it yesterday. I did not use that wheelchair even once. I guess I thought I was made of tougher stuff than I am. Thanks for the stretching advice. Gonna start now. Just got out of a warm bath.
I kind of thought I should have gotten more instructions, too.

Thanks
Pat M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 18:17 (026216)

Please give me alittle history again. I sorry but I want to help you

1. You had open plantar fascia release ??
2.. When did you have this.
3. You were in a wheel chair for how long ?
4. the sutures are out. How does that area feel?

Re: Dr. Z - Re: Surgery update - ouch! and HELP!

Pat M. on 8/25/00 at 18:34 (026217)

Hi Dr. Z,
Yes I had an open release done on August 2. It has been 24 days now. I was in the wheelchair for 21 days. I did use crutches some also. But no use of my left leg. The area where the sutures were is not the main problem. It is a little sore, but I expected that. My problem is my calf muscle ( I guess) I am have trouble straightening my leg. My calf actually hurts worse than my foot. My doctor has me walking with some aid of a crutch. Any comments or advice from you would very much appreciated. My doctor has had a lot of success with the surgery. ( I've talked to several people about him.) But I feel like he just sort of pushed me out of there.
Thanks,
Pat M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 19:03 (026220)

I want you to call him IMMEDIATELY!!!!. I am not trying to scare you >but you can have a blood clot in your leg from lack of use. This is called a DVT> DEEP THROMBOPHEBITIS. This is rare but does and can happen after foot surgery, especially after the patient has been in a wheelchair and not moving alot. I could be wrong but this must be checked out with a lower extremity doppler ultasound. I am not kidding about this .!!!!!!

Nancy S. on 8/25/00 at 07:07 (026176)

Hi Pat,
I'm assuming you don't want to be pulling on the fascia at this stage? If not, I would sit on the floor with legs straight out (after a hot bath), and lean forward as if to try to touch the toes. Start out holding that lean, which will stretch the calf, just for a few seconds. I would try this 2 or 3 times a day, and over the next few weeks increase the hold gradually.
This is what I would recommend based on my limited knowledge.
But your doctor, who supposedly has more knowledge, should have known better! To place you on your feet that suddenly, with no muscle preparation, three weeks after surgery and probably months of tightness before that, seems . . . well, stupid. I could screeeeaaaaam!
Good for you for taking the day off -- sounds like your body is telling you to do that, and sounds like it is talking to you better than your doctor is. Good luck, and do this all more gradually than he is telling you. You were in a wheelchair, yes? If I were you I would still use it part of the day and wean yourself away from it as your legs and feet get stronger.
Nancy

Pat M. on 8/25/00 at 07:52 (026178)

Sounds good, Nancy. I am quite sure that I did over do it yesterday. I did not use that wheelchair even once. I guess I thought I was made of tougher stuff than I am. Thanks for the stretching advice. Gonna start now. Just got out of a warm bath.
I kind of thought I should have gotten more instructions, too.

Thanks
Pat M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 18:17 (026216)

Please give me alittle history again. I sorry but I want to help you

1. You had open plantar fascia release ??
2.. When did you have this.
3. You were in a wheel chair for how long ?
4. the sutures are out. How does that area feel?

Pat M. on 8/25/00 at 18:34 (026217)

Hi Dr. Z,
Yes I had an open release done on August 2. It has been 24 days now. I was in the wheelchair for 21 days. I did use crutches some also. But no use of my left leg. The area where the sutures were is not the main problem. It is a little sore, but I expected that. My problem is my calf muscle ( I guess) I am have trouble straightening my leg. My calf actually hurts worse than my foot. My doctor has me walking with some aid of a crutch. Any comments or advice from you would very much appreciated. My doctor has had a lot of success with the surgery. ( I've talked to several people about him.) But I feel like he just sort of pushed me out of there.
Thanks,
Pat M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/25/00 at 19:03 (026220)

I want you to call him IMMEDIATELY!!!!. I am not trying to scare you >but you can have a blood clot in your leg from lack of use. This is called a DVT> DEEP THROMBOPHEBITIS. This is rare but does and can happen after foot surgery, especially after the patient has been in a wheelchair and not moving alot. I could be wrong but this must be checked out with a lower extremity doppler ultasound. I am not kidding about this .!!!!!!