Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Message Board for Dr. Z and Dr. Biehler

Posted by Scott R on 8/25/00 at 21:34 (026240)

I'm very happy to see Dr. Z and Dr. B posting messages, but I can't expect them to do it forever. What if I create a seperate message board that can accept a set fee-per-patient they respond to? It would not prevent them from answering questions here, but it could formalize things so that they can take more time to respond in the new message board. We could make it a 'suggested donation', so as to ease the legalities, and even make it where they do not have to pay taxes on it (I'm no accountant though)

Re: New Message Board for Dr. Z and Dr. Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 02:56 (026251)

I don't know Scott. If the money goes for patient treatment maybe. I don't want to be involved in a patient pay me service on the internet. If I get tired I will take a rest, or if I get boring tell me to take a rest. If you only want me on certain days find. There are other medical professionals on this board what about them? I don't want this to become a Saint Dr. Zuckerman's board , I don't want the pope to be worried. Just let me know you goals about this and go from there.

T. Hurst on 8/26/00 at 06:59 (026254)

How about two separate boards...one where pf sufferers ask questions to each other about their experiences (anecdotal info that doesn't come easily from a doctor)in a supporting setting and another board where patients can post questions to doctors about specific medical questions. Then, any doctor could respond as they had time. I thank Dr. Z. for taking the time to answer questions, but I think mixing in pay-for-service would taint his (and others) benevolence. I doubt anyone would pay over the internet either for advice, as valuable as it is. Bottom line: doctors don't spend enough time explaining all this stuff to their patients! I would have never had surgery had I not educated myself through this web site. Now that I am educated, I can talk to my doctor on his level and in his language, which helps. Thanks!

alan k on 8/26/00 at 08:35 (026258)

I agree with the general sentiments expressed but would point out that the economic prognosis is probably not right: people would pay and it would be a prosperous and also very helpful venture.

It seems like Dr. Z just likes the vacation from business here.

yours,
alan k

http://www.acutai.com

john h on 8/26/00 at 09:10 (026261)

scott if they accept a fee might this not put them in some legal jepordy to be sued for advice given?

DR. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 09:53 (026263)

I can be sued for the advice that I already have given to everyone.
This is a change for me I like to do something different. At one time I use to work in a free clinic every Wednesday but that got me in trouble with the doctors in the area . It was free and alot of fun. I got to see all of the foot pathology that I wouldn't see in my regular practice. You wouldn't believe the ~~!@@## the docs gave me. It was in a very poor section of Camden, New Jersey.

Scott R on 8/26/00 at 10:13 (026265)

Maybe it could be sold as information and not medical advice. I'm sure the legality of selling medical information for specific patients over the internet is on the mind of many people. I've seen a few sites doing it.

On an almost-unrelated issue: the message board needs to be broken up. There are too may messages being posted for most people to read. I just haven't figured out what the 2 categories should be. So far my best idea is to make one message board where everybody except the Dr.s and a few others are limited to 1 or 2 messages per day. The idea is to encourage new voices. Or maybe make it where only new visitors can start a new thread in one of the message boards. Other ideas: a social/support message board and a technical message board. Or a 'experiences pain with the first few steps in the morning' and an 'other' message board.

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 10:14 (026266)

I would be concerned that the Dr's who participated on a separate, fee-basis message board could easily be put in liable jeopardy. Also, the Dr's Z and B here are such a perfect part of this 'family' now it would be almost sad to 'isolate' them to a different board! This one is comfy and casual and their personalities fit nicely. OK I'll admit it - I enjoy them and I'm selfish!

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 11:38 (026270)

I think having a fee for service would taint the system. I feel comfortable asking Dr. Z. questions, because he does not charge.
It is not that I would mind paying for advice. I've payed for all kinds of other things for my feet. But when I first came to this board, I was skecptical of who this 'Dr. Z.' was. Why was he here being so nice and what was in it for him? Was he even really a doctor? But as time passed and I saw that he had a sincere interest in PF and in us, I grew to trust Dr. Z. I was especially impressed last night when he kept posting those alerts to Pat, worried about her welfare. I don't think the average fee-for-service internet doctor would do that.

The internet is not like a phone. We all have the freedom to surf or not surf. To go to this site or not go. I do think that it is a good idea to encourage other doctors here (so Dr. Z. does not feel too loaded down) if there is a way perhaps for Dr. Z or Dr. B. to screen them. Dr. B. came on as a referral through Dr. Z. That gave him credibility. If it becomes too easy for anyone who puts Dr. next to his name to dole out advice here, eventually some nut who is NOT a doctor is going to introduce himself to us as 'Dr. So & So.'

As far as the message board goes, I would hate to see too many rules invoked about who can post where. I think what makes this board successful is that it is so easy to use and free flowing. I do think having some different catagories might be helpful. Here are my suggestions:
1. Message board for questions and answers specifically to do with PF foot pain and foot relief products/therapy. No jokes or goofing around here.Stay focused.

2. Message board for personal support for dealing with depression, lifestyle & work changes due to PF, family stress as a result of PF, and other stresses that come about from chronic foot pain. A place for people to make friends with others who share this condition.

Finally, here is a suggestion for an addition to Scott's book. I see many of us have had to make career changes and career adjustments due to PF that goes chronic, I think a section for that would be helpful.

Beverly

Re: One more thought... Just keep navigation easy for us nontechies. That is a current strong point.

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 12:00 (026272)

Scott,

One more thought, whatever you do or change, please keep navigation easy. I have noticed this board gets lots of posts. Besides being a problem many people have, I think one reason so many of us are here is because it is easy to navigate.
I have visited other boards for other topics, and many of them were so hard to get into and operate, I gave up after about fifteen minutes.
Either there is extra software to load or things I had to sign up for, it was like going through a mouse maze. I would have never found this site if it had not been so easy. So whatever you do, just keep it simple for us nontechies.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 13:30 (026276)

I second your thoughs . I will do whatever this group and Scott decide to do. I have always felt part of this group but still this is a pf board and all doctors should feel that they are guest.

So all benefits should go to the patients and I feel Scott should benefit some how . So lets come up with a money idea that will support Scott. Without him there is no board.

I may be able to get some good PR for this board so that it could be on the news etc. What do you think of that????

I will concentrate on some ideas for getting doctors. I am talking to Dr. Morris the chiropractor that works with me. He has alot of skill
and talent. I don't know how he would work out but I am willing to try.
The good part of this board is that the pf family will either like him or not and that will be the decision making factor about do they want Dr. Morris. He has been in practice for over twenty five years and
has taught me alot about Chiropractic Medicine and how it can help the foot and lower back etc.

Scott R on 8/26/00 at 13:51 (026277)

I can do a message board specifically for Dr. Z and Dr. B without money issues. The idea is to cater to the doctors a little to make it easy and comfortable for them to post, and to give them a format that can appear more professional than just our current free-for-all. Maybe a board where people post questions and they answer. Comments from others would be limited but not forbidden.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 14:06 (026278)

I like that idea.

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 15:38 (026280)

Maybe you could entitle that board 'Ask the Doctor(s)....' or something as appropriate. Your idea sounds good to me as long as the sense of familial support doesn't get diluted. Although I don't necessarily ask the Docs much, I'd love to be able to pop in there and read them or just say hi occasionally.

Steve P on 8/26/00 at 16:18 (026283)

Scott -- I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't understand why any changes are necessary. You said that the board must be broken up. Why? You said that too many messages are being posted. How was that determination made? Have people been complaining?
As far as Drs. Z & B are concerned, I know we all appreciate them greatly & they are very kind to participate on the board as they do. But it seems to me that they are perhaps getting some additional business, at least indirectly, through their participation.
Overall, I think you have a winning formula here & I'm not sure you should chnage it. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' :-)
Thanks for listening................Steve

Lori E. on 8/26/00 at 16:51 (026284)

I agree with Steve. I think the board is great the way it is now. I find the combination of humor, questions for the doctors, and the progress updates of the other board participants to be interesting and informative. The variety is what makes this board so great. I also haven't noticed there to be much of a glut of posts, but I check the board a couple of times a day. So maybe that's why I didn't notice. Scott, I guess I am not sure why you want to change the board, but just know that we all appreciate all the hard work you do and this board has got me thru some pretty rough times. It is comforting to know that it is here as I am going through this PF ordeal. Thanks for all your hard work and caring.

Re: I agree with Steve and Lori. What about the people who can't pay/no insurance?

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 18:56 (026289)

I agree with Lori and Steve. But it might be helpful to know why Scott wants to break it up into sections. Is this board getting so heavy weighted in terms of storage space that it is difficult for Scott from a technical standpoint?
If there is not a technical reason, then I see no reason to change it.
I too do not feel that there are too many posts. Besides, even a board regular like me does not open every post. I read the things that pop out at me as being relevant to my situation or posts that pull at my heart.

I am noticing that there are more and more questions for Dr. Z. Eventually, he is bound to feel overloaded. I can see a benefit from
getting more doctors (who are screened) to rotate with him. However, I do not think we should go to a fee-for-service. Here is why:

1. I do not mind paying personally, but I don't want my credit card # floating through cyberspace. I never order anything by credit card
online. Therefore, if that is the way I have to pay, I won't be asking any questions.

2. There are people here who have been financially devistated by this condition. They either don't have insurance or they are on medicaid or
a strict HMO. What about them? I am concerned for those who rely on this board as their main source for help with PF, because they have very limited financial means. Often when people have been financially devistated, they don't have credit cards or the cards have been maxed out. For this reason, I think asking doctors to rotate is a better idea. In the past, doctors who wanted to do something in benevolence had to work at a free clinic or go to a third world country. A little internet charity is much easier than working at a free clinic or going to a third world country.

3. If we do go to a fee-for-service format, I hope some of the money from that will be set aside for patients who can't afford to pay.

Beverly

john h on 8/26/00 at 18:58 (026290)

i think something will be lost if we begin to pay for medical information on the board. the whole dynamic will be changed. people will ask fewer questions and will become skeptical. what if new doctors appear on the board? when money appears you can bet there will be people there to collect it. besides our doctors we have other medical professionals. do we not pay them? i for one do not think it would be a good idea to pay anyone on the board for advice. it is not about the money. today dr z is your friend but when you start paying him money the relationship will quickly change.

iris on 8/26/00 at 20:57 (026298)

dear scott,
just as all the other people that read the postings on this site, we are very grateful to your having established it. i have been visiting this site for 14 months. when i discovered this site, it was as if i was lost in the desert, and suddenly i found shelter during the cold of the night!

i have very much enjoyed and been grateful to dr. z. comments and advice. i have never felt it was a free for all situation. i don't post often but i usually visit the site once a day.

i have been fortunate to have met dr. z. and have been treated by him. i have posted my progress and my experiences with dr. z. i know how much he has helped me and so many others from his postings. words will never express how grateful we are to you and him. i hope that whatever decision you make, it will allow other people, some of whom will be new visitors, to benefit from drs. z. and b.'s kindness and knowledge.

Re: I agree with Steve and Lori. What about the people who can't pay/no insurance?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 22:08 (026305)

As I stated before I am not in favor of this fee for service and won't get involved with this. I could just work alittle longer in the office if if were about money. I would go along with donations to enhance the heelspurs.com board and its ability to service the pf people. The only perosn that should somehow get some money from this is Scott Roberts, he is the webmaster.

I would rather work on this site then a free clinic. i have had patients from this board come to my office and pay me, so don't worry about me. If I get overloaded I will get more doctors that will be screened.

Re: The Message Board as it is

Bob G. on 8/27/00 at 01:08 (026316)

The Message Board as it is is fine with me. I am much too busy to keep up with it no matter what format.

I value the Doctors participating because they are here because they are sincerely interested. I appreciate Scott's achievements here and support his site. I enjoy the relationships and the humor.

I like that I can walk pain-free thanks to information gained from this site.

I don't see a need for change, but this is Scott's site and his vision. BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 02:56 (026251)

I don't know Scott. If the money goes for patient treatment maybe. I don't want to be involved in a patient pay me service on the internet. If I get tired I will take a rest, or if I get boring tell me to take a rest. If you only want me on certain days find. There are other medical professionals on this board what about them? I don't want this to become a Saint Dr. Zuckerman's board , I don't want the pope to be worried. Just let me know you goals about this and go from there.

T. Hurst on 8/26/00 at 06:59 (026254)

How about two separate boards...one where pf sufferers ask questions to each other about their experiences (anecdotal info that doesn't come easily from a doctor)in a supporting setting and another board where patients can post questions to doctors about specific medical questions. Then, any doctor could respond as they had time. I thank Dr. Z. for taking the time to answer questions, but I think mixing in pay-for-service would taint his (and others) benevolence. I doubt anyone would pay over the internet either for advice, as valuable as it is. Bottom line: doctors don't spend enough time explaining all this stuff to their patients! I would have never had surgery had I not educated myself through this web site. Now that I am educated, I can talk to my doctor on his level and in his language, which helps. Thanks!

alan k on 8/26/00 at 08:35 (026258)

I agree with the general sentiments expressed but would point out that the economic prognosis is probably not right: people would pay and it would be a prosperous and also very helpful venture.

It seems like Dr. Z just likes the vacation from business here.

yours,
alan k

http://www.acutai.com

john h on 8/26/00 at 09:10 (026261)

scott if they accept a fee might this not put them in some legal jepordy to be sued for advice given?

DR. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 09:53 (026263)

I can be sued for the advice that I already have given to everyone.
This is a change for me I like to do something different. At one time I use to work in a free clinic every Wednesday but that got me in trouble with the doctors in the area . It was free and alot of fun. I got to see all of the foot pathology that I wouldn't see in my regular practice. You wouldn't believe the ~~!@@## the docs gave me. It was in a very poor section of Camden, New Jersey.

Scott R on 8/26/00 at 10:13 (026265)

Maybe it could be sold as information and not medical advice. I'm sure the legality of selling medical information for specific patients over the internet is on the mind of many people. I've seen a few sites doing it.

On an almost-unrelated issue: the message board needs to be broken up. There are too may messages being posted for most people to read. I just haven't figured out what the 2 categories should be. So far my best idea is to make one message board where everybody except the Dr.s and a few others are limited to 1 or 2 messages per day. The idea is to encourage new voices. Or maybe make it where only new visitors can start a new thread in one of the message boards. Other ideas: a social/support message board and a technical message board. Or a 'experiences pain with the first few steps in the morning' and an 'other' message board.

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 10:14 (026266)

I would be concerned that the Dr's who participated on a separate, fee-basis message board could easily be put in liable jeopardy. Also, the Dr's Z and B here are such a perfect part of this 'family' now it would be almost sad to 'isolate' them to a different board! This one is comfy and casual and their personalities fit nicely. OK I'll admit it - I enjoy them and I'm selfish!

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 11:38 (026270)

I think having a fee for service would taint the system. I feel comfortable asking Dr. Z. questions, because he does not charge.
It is not that I would mind paying for advice. I've payed for all kinds of other things for my feet. But when I first came to this board, I was skecptical of who this 'Dr. Z.' was. Why was he here being so nice and what was in it for him? Was he even really a doctor? But as time passed and I saw that he had a sincere interest in PF and in us, I grew to trust Dr. Z. I was especially impressed last night when he kept posting those alerts to Pat, worried about her welfare. I don't think the average fee-for-service internet doctor would do that.

The internet is not like a phone. We all have the freedom to surf or not surf. To go to this site or not go. I do think that it is a good idea to encourage other doctors here (so Dr. Z. does not feel too loaded down) if there is a way perhaps for Dr. Z or Dr. B. to screen them. Dr. B. came on as a referral through Dr. Z. That gave him credibility. If it becomes too easy for anyone who puts Dr. next to his name to dole out advice here, eventually some nut who is NOT a doctor is going to introduce himself to us as 'Dr. So & So.'

As far as the message board goes, I would hate to see too many rules invoked about who can post where. I think what makes this board successful is that it is so easy to use and free flowing. I do think having some different catagories might be helpful. Here are my suggestions:
1. Message board for questions and answers specifically to do with PF foot pain and foot relief products/therapy. No jokes or goofing around here.Stay focused.

2. Message board for personal support for dealing with depression, lifestyle & work changes due to PF, family stress as a result of PF, and other stresses that come about from chronic foot pain. A place for people to make friends with others who share this condition.

Finally, here is a suggestion for an addition to Scott's book. I see many of us have had to make career changes and career adjustments due to PF that goes chronic, I think a section for that would be helpful.

Beverly

Re: One more thought... Just keep navigation easy for us nontechies. That is a current strong point.

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 12:00 (026272)

Scott,

One more thought, whatever you do or change, please keep navigation easy. I have noticed this board gets lots of posts. Besides being a problem many people have, I think one reason so many of us are here is because it is easy to navigate.
I have visited other boards for other topics, and many of them were so hard to get into and operate, I gave up after about fifteen minutes.
Either there is extra software to load or things I had to sign up for, it was like going through a mouse maze. I would have never found this site if it had not been so easy. So whatever you do, just keep it simple for us nontechies.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 13:30 (026276)

I second your thoughs . I will do whatever this group and Scott decide to do. I have always felt part of this group but still this is a pf board and all doctors should feel that they are guest.

So all benefits should go to the patients and I feel Scott should benefit some how . So lets come up with a money idea that will support Scott. Without him there is no board.

I may be able to get some good PR for this board so that it could be on the news etc. What do you think of that????

I will concentrate on some ideas for getting doctors. I am talking to Dr. Morris the chiropractor that works with me. He has alot of skill
and talent. I don't know how he would work out but I am willing to try.
The good part of this board is that the pf family will either like him or not and that will be the decision making factor about do they want Dr. Morris. He has been in practice for over twenty five years and
has taught me alot about Chiropractic Medicine and how it can help the foot and lower back etc.

Scott R on 8/26/00 at 13:51 (026277)

I can do a message board specifically for Dr. Z and Dr. B without money issues. The idea is to cater to the doctors a little to make it easy and comfortable for them to post, and to give them a format that can appear more professional than just our current free-for-all. Maybe a board where people post questions and they answer. Comments from others would be limited but not forbidden.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 14:06 (026278)

I like that idea.

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 15:38 (026280)

Maybe you could entitle that board 'Ask the Doctor(s)....' or something as appropriate. Your idea sounds good to me as long as the sense of familial support doesn't get diluted. Although I don't necessarily ask the Docs much, I'd love to be able to pop in there and read them or just say hi occasionally.

Steve P on 8/26/00 at 16:18 (026283)

Scott -- I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't understand why any changes are necessary. You said that the board must be broken up. Why? You said that too many messages are being posted. How was that determination made? Have people been complaining?
As far as Drs. Z & B are concerned, I know we all appreciate them greatly & they are very kind to participate on the board as they do. But it seems to me that they are perhaps getting some additional business, at least indirectly, through their participation.
Overall, I think you have a winning formula here & I'm not sure you should chnage it. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' :-)
Thanks for listening................Steve

Lori E. on 8/26/00 at 16:51 (026284)

I agree with Steve. I think the board is great the way it is now. I find the combination of humor, questions for the doctors, and the progress updates of the other board participants to be interesting and informative. The variety is what makes this board so great. I also haven't noticed there to be much of a glut of posts, but I check the board a couple of times a day. So maybe that's why I didn't notice. Scott, I guess I am not sure why you want to change the board, but just know that we all appreciate all the hard work you do and this board has got me thru some pretty rough times. It is comforting to know that it is here as I am going through this PF ordeal. Thanks for all your hard work and caring.

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 18:56 (026289)

I agree with Lori and Steve. But it might be helpful to know why Scott wants to break it up into sections. Is this board getting so heavy weighted in terms of storage space that it is difficult for Scott from a technical standpoint?
If there is not a technical reason, then I see no reason to change it.
I too do not feel that there are too many posts. Besides, even a board regular like me does not open every post. I read the things that pop out at me as being relevant to my situation or posts that pull at my heart.

I am noticing that there are more and more questions for Dr. Z. Eventually, he is bound to feel overloaded. I can see a benefit from
getting more doctors (who are screened) to rotate with him. However, I do not think we should go to a fee-for-service. Here is why:

1. I do not mind paying personally, but I don't want my credit card # floating through cyberspace. I never order anything by credit card
online. Therefore, if that is the way I have to pay, I won't be asking any questions.

2. There are people here who have been financially devistated by this condition. They either don't have insurance or they are on medicaid or
a strict HMO. What about them? I am concerned for those who rely on this board as their main source for help with PF, because they have very limited financial means. Often when people have been financially devistated, they don't have credit cards or the cards have been maxed out. For this reason, I think asking doctors to rotate is a better idea. In the past, doctors who wanted to do something in benevolence had to work at a free clinic or go to a third world country. A little internet charity is much easier than working at a free clinic or going to a third world country.

3. If we do go to a fee-for-service format, I hope some of the money from that will be set aside for patients who can't afford to pay.

Beverly

john h on 8/26/00 at 18:58 (026290)

i think something will be lost if we begin to pay for medical information on the board. the whole dynamic will be changed. people will ask fewer questions and will become skeptical. what if new doctors appear on the board? when money appears you can bet there will be people there to collect it. besides our doctors we have other medical professionals. do we not pay them? i for one do not think it would be a good idea to pay anyone on the board for advice. it is not about the money. today dr z is your friend but when you start paying him money the relationship will quickly change.

iris on 8/26/00 at 20:57 (026298)

dear scott,
just as all the other people that read the postings on this site, we are very grateful to your having established it. i have been visiting this site for 14 months. when i discovered this site, it was as if i was lost in the desert, and suddenly i found shelter during the cold of the night!

i have very much enjoyed and been grateful to dr. z. comments and advice. i have never felt it was a free for all situation. i don't post often but i usually visit the site once a day.

i have been fortunate to have met dr. z. and have been treated by him. i have posted my progress and my experiences with dr. z. i know how much he has helped me and so many others from his postings. words will never express how grateful we are to you and him. i hope that whatever decision you make, it will allow other people, some of whom will be new visitors, to benefit from drs. z. and b.'s kindness and knowledge.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/00 at 22:08 (026305)

As I stated before I am not in favor of this fee for service and won't get involved with this. I could just work alittle longer in the office if if were about money. I would go along with donations to enhance the heelspurs.com board and its ability to service the pf people. The only perosn that should somehow get some money from this is Scott Roberts, he is the webmaster.

I would rather work on this site then a free clinic. i have had patients from this board come to my office and pay me, so don't worry about me. If I get overloaded I will get more doctors that will be screened.

Re: The Message Board as it is

Bob G. on 8/27/00 at 01:08 (026316)

The Message Board as it is is fine with me. I am much too busy to keep up with it no matter what format.

I value the Doctors participating because they are here because they are sincerely interested. I appreciate Scott's achievements here and support his site. I enjoy the relationships and the humor.

I like that I can walk pain-free thanks to information gained from this site.

I don't see a need for change, but this is Scott's site and his vision. BG