Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One step forward, THREE steps back!!!!

Posted by KarenS on 8/26/00 at 00:48 (026246)

This is what my PT said to me today. I was down to using one crutch, but now am back to both of them AGAIN. My foot is so sore and swelled even at rest that she couldn't believe it. She wants me to just stay off it this weekend and cut back on the stretches till the pain dies down a bit. I thought I was doing too much too soon, but I was doing what I was told.

She is manually stretching my foot and today she said my calf and ankle muscles are way too tight, so she started working on them as well. All I can say is OUCH!!! and hope it gets easier soon.

Thanks...Karen

Re: One step forward, THREE steps back!!!!

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 01:09 (026247)

Karen, I empathise with you so much! My PT dug too deep with his massage the other day and now my foot is totally swollen, sorer than ever (to the point that I'm seriously considering my crutches for a few days) and, what with really great progress exercise-wise these last weeks, he says no exercises till the swelling goes down! I hear you on the calf massage pain too! I still can't believe how deep the guy can dig and find knot after knot! Until he started that, they seemed perfectly fine to me! But then, I DO have PF, don't I?
So.....if we do crutches together this weekend, what movie(s) and snacks should we share also? I'll be sending you positive brain waves (yes, contrary to some opinions, I DO have brain waves!) all weekend, 'K?

KarenS on 8/26/00 at 02:21 (026249)

Thanks Judy: I say we rent a chick flick so we can say we're crying about the movie instead of our pain. As for snacks, I'm a potatoe chip kind of girl!!!!!!!

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 10:06 (026264)

O my goodness Karen - when I was in Maine in June I fell in love with 'Cape Cod' brand chips and was psyched to find them here in all the grocery stores! Now I'm totally hooked - in fact, there are two bags in my pantry as we speak.......
You pick the flick......I'll bet Beverly and Nancy and Wendy and ....will join us, we've had this discussion before.

Re: On massage

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 11:54 (026271)

Karen and Judy,

I get massage each time I go to PT. I find there is a fine line between
massage that is deep enough to do some good but not so deep that the pain lingers for day. I find that if a massage makes me ache longer than a couple of hours after the massage, then it was too deep for me.
My PT says I am taking it deeper now, but we have spent almost two months working me up to this level. She does not rub long... about five minutes on each foot. I wish she would go higher up my ankle and calf, but I think I would have to get personal massage for that. As it goes now, my insurance is paying for this 3x a week massage.

I have the luxury of being childless or childfree (depending on how you look at that) so every Saturday is a 'be good to Beverly... read trashy suspense thrillers and sentimental tear jerkers and watch movie day.'
I have come to love and look forward to Saturday. I try not to let anything interfere with it. I spend all day with my feet up (except when I'm sneaking a peak at the board or getting a take out dinner).
If you want a good current chick flick and have cable or satelite, rent
'The King and I' - Jodie Foster version. (It is NOT a musical... more like a historical romance movie with beautiful costumes.)

I hope your feet feel better soon.
Beverly

PS: Judy, are you still using the PFT? Have you had any luck with it?
Your last post didn't sound like you were too impressed. I start mine in PT on Monday. My therapist thinks it looks like something worth trying.

Terry on 8/26/00 at 12:30 (026273)

Beverly - Aren't you in Texas? The Drs. Leahy have many trained people in ART. It is isn't your typical massage, but it is working great for me. Your insurance may cover it, and you will know if it is working or not after 3 visits. Terry

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 15:44 (026281)

Hi Beverly - I really LIKE your Saturdays! So why am I raking leaves today?
About those PFT's - it's not that I wasn't impressed. I pretty much assume that they help exercise the feet and lower legs given my tryouts with them. It's just that, at a cost of $60.00, I learned that I could mimic their target exercises pretty well with the equipment I already have at home. The one thing I didn't like at all was the bar between the toes. I had to learn to hold it just right to keep that bar from creating pressure soreness. Once you master the technique of 'holding' it properly, all of the exercises make complete sense. Keep in mind that your feet are pushing against the 'immovable object' ie; PFT that you are holding - rather than your hands doing the pulling of the PFT against your feet. It seems to be isometric in technique.

john h on 8/26/00 at 18:51 (026288)

i think you must be carefuly when receiving massage or PT around the ankle or foot. one of my doctors said to vigorous a massage around the tarsal tunnel area can cause some pain and damage. some thearapist think the harder the better- not alway true!

Re: On massage/to Terry

Beverly on 8/27/00 at 14:03 (026356)

Terry,

Yes, I am in Texas. I have not found anyone who knows about ART. My massage therapist is very well trainned... has done lots of continuing ed. and has a clinical awareness. He works at a PT center. But he has never heard of ART. Neither has my PT.
My massage therapist does do MFR. I have had it done to my neck/back, and found it helpful. But he has not done it to a foot. He is willing to study that, but I'm not sure I want to be the 'test case.'
I am relunctant to try ART, because I have read many posts here about it being painful.
Beverly

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 01:09 (026247)

Karen, I empathise with you so much! My PT dug too deep with his massage the other day and now my foot is totally swollen, sorer than ever (to the point that I'm seriously considering my crutches for a few days) and, what with really great progress exercise-wise these last weeks, he says no exercises till the swelling goes down! I hear you on the calf massage pain too! I still can't believe how deep the guy can dig and find knot after knot! Until he started that, they seemed perfectly fine to me! But then, I DO have PF, don't I?
So.....if we do crutches together this weekend, what movie(s) and snacks should we share also? I'll be sending you positive brain waves (yes, contrary to some opinions, I DO have brain waves!) all weekend, 'K?

KarenS on 8/26/00 at 02:21 (026249)

Thanks Judy: I say we rent a chick flick so we can say we're crying about the movie instead of our pain. As for snacks, I'm a potatoe chip kind of girl!!!!!!!

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 10:06 (026264)

O my goodness Karen - when I was in Maine in June I fell in love with 'Cape Cod' brand chips and was psyched to find them here in all the grocery stores! Now I'm totally hooked - in fact, there are two bags in my pantry as we speak.......
You pick the flick......I'll bet Beverly and Nancy and Wendy and ....will join us, we've had this discussion before.

Beverly on 8/26/00 at 11:54 (026271)

Karen and Judy,

I get massage each time I go to PT. I find there is a fine line between
massage that is deep enough to do some good but not so deep that the pain lingers for day. I find that if a massage makes me ache longer than a couple of hours after the massage, then it was too deep for me.
My PT says I am taking it deeper now, but we have spent almost two months working me up to this level. She does not rub long... about five minutes on each foot. I wish she would go higher up my ankle and calf, but I think I would have to get personal massage for that. As it goes now, my insurance is paying for this 3x a week massage.

I have the luxury of being childless or childfree (depending on how you look at that) so every Saturday is a 'be good to Beverly... read trashy suspense thrillers and sentimental tear jerkers and watch movie day.'
I have come to love and look forward to Saturday. I try not to let anything interfere with it. I spend all day with my feet up (except when I'm sneaking a peak at the board or getting a take out dinner).
If you want a good current chick flick and have cable or satelite, rent
'The King and I' - Jodie Foster version. (It is NOT a musical... more like a historical romance movie with beautiful costumes.)

I hope your feet feel better soon.
Beverly

PS: Judy, are you still using the PFT? Have you had any luck with it?
Your last post didn't sound like you were too impressed. I start mine in PT on Monday. My therapist thinks it looks like something worth trying.

Terry on 8/26/00 at 12:30 (026273)

Beverly - Aren't you in Texas? The Drs. Leahy have many trained people in ART. It is isn't your typical massage, but it is working great for me. Your insurance may cover it, and you will know if it is working or not after 3 visits. Terry

JudyS on 8/26/00 at 15:44 (026281)

Hi Beverly - I really LIKE your Saturdays! So why am I raking leaves today?
About those PFT's - it's not that I wasn't impressed. I pretty much assume that they help exercise the feet and lower legs given my tryouts with them. It's just that, at a cost of $60.00, I learned that I could mimic their target exercises pretty well with the equipment I already have at home. The one thing I didn't like at all was the bar between the toes. I had to learn to hold it just right to keep that bar from creating pressure soreness. Once you master the technique of 'holding' it properly, all of the exercises make complete sense. Keep in mind that your feet are pushing against the 'immovable object' ie; PFT that you are holding - rather than your hands doing the pulling of the PFT against your feet. It seems to be isometric in technique.

john h on 8/26/00 at 18:51 (026288)

i think you must be carefuly when receiving massage or PT around the ankle or foot. one of my doctors said to vigorous a massage around the tarsal tunnel area can cause some pain and damage. some thearapist think the harder the better- not alway true!

Re: On massage/to Terry

Beverly on 8/27/00 at 14:03 (026356)

Terry,

Yes, I am in Texas. I have not found anyone who knows about ART. My massage therapist is very well trainned... has done lots of continuing ed. and has a clinical awareness. He works at a PT center. But he has never heard of ART. Neither has my PT.
My massage therapist does do MFR. I have had it done to my neck/back, and found it helpful. But he has not done it to a foot. He is willing to study that, but I'm not sure I want to be the 'test case.'
I am relunctant to try ART, because I have read many posts here about it being painful.
Beverly