Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bob G., Are you out there....?

Posted by Terry on 8/26/00 at 08:25 (026257)

Bob - About the S/Sock, are you still wearing it? According to the picture, it looks like the big toe is pulled back toward the body. Does the toe stay in this position all night, or does the sock loosen up a little? I know that you wear this with the nightsplint. Have you ever worn the sock alone? My new PT (the one that is doing wonders with myofascial release) really stresses getting the toe back in the stretch, and it seems to be working. Thanks, Bob. Terry

Re: Bob G., Are you out there....?

alan k on 8/26/00 at 08:46 (026259)

I'm not bob but I have used the sock, and even first recommended bob try the sock with a nightsplint at the same time.

The sock stretches the toe back which involves the windlass mechanism of the foot, or the way the plantar fascia holds the length of the foot taught while you tread. There is also muscle involvement in this mechanism although not everyone agrees about this. The Footflex and Acu-Flex and strassbourg sock are all products that target this mechanism for enhanced stretching.

IF you are having sucess with windlass stretching and your pt recommends it, why not try the sock? It can loosen a little while you sleep. It is also very adjustable and so must be used wisely and cautiously. I recommend using it with a nightsplint at the same time, but that is a super bulky contraption, then, and may be hard to sleep.

We have a couple products, not for sale yet, that you might find more useful than s/sock. If you want you can e-mail me for a free sample. In e-mail tell me if you already own a nigthsplint and what kind.

yours,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Terry on 8/26/00 at 10:53 (026269)

Alan K. - I am sure the success is coming from the myo release and not from windlass stretching, but I would not have even tried these stretches 2 weeks ago. What is the controversy involving this stretch? I would be interested in seeing what you have that compares to the S/S sock. Also, why do you suggest the sock with the splint and not alone? I will email you privately. Thanks, Terry

alan k on 8/26/00 at 13:14 (026275)

Sorry to imply there was a controversy about the stretching. There isn't as far as I know. There are some people who assert that the machanical force that gets translated through the plantar fascia to the rest of the body in propulsion is not assisted by the intrinsic muscles of the foot, but that the pf takes the whole load. If this were true, however unlikely it seems, then the PFT or Acu-Flex would be of little benefit, which is not the case.

One problem that people might have with the sock alone is that the flexion force is concentrated by pulling the toes, and doesn't get distributed along the whole foot. This, if you crank the sock up too much, could lead to discomfort in the metatarsal region. If you don't go overboard, it should be okay. With a nightsplint, the force gets distributed across the most of the foot, but most nightsplints do not engage the toes. You can wear both at the same time, which takes care of the possible (not definite) problem. I didn't want to imply that I was suggesting that this is necessarily the best way to do it, though.

cheers,

alan k

Re: Night Splints / My Story / Thanks to Alan

Bob G. on 8/27/00 at 00:29 (026315)

Message Number 15790
Re: Strasburg Sock verses Night Splints
Posted by Bob G. on 2/12/2000
I do have an opinion on this subject. I am using the night splint and believe it helps me progress. As
Helene just pointed out to me the night splint needs to be adjusted to your comfort level. In fact,
adjusting the night splint to your personal comfort level seems very important in living with the thing; it is
difficult at times to get a full night's sleep - but, oh, is it worth it!

I have the Strassburg Sock, but am waiting until I reach a higher level of recovery before I even begin
using the sock - I feel the sock is a little more agressive and could easily re-injure if not careful. I am
looking forward to easing into the sock as I believe it will propell me to wellness in the long run.

I would not sell my night splint or my sock; they're important to me.

It takes so long to get back to no inflamation. Conservative use of the night splint helps; over-stretching
before ready hurts.

Message Number 15842
After first use of Strasburg Sock AND Night Splint
Posted by Bob G. on 2/14/2000
I got up early and added the S/Sock to my nightsplint per Alan's suggestion, slept and hour and then got
up with no pain or discomfort. I am encouraged. I plan to gradually increase usage and add this
technique to my 'bag of tricks'. This feels like progress :)

Message Number 16829
Comfortable Night Splint
Posted by Bob G. on 3/03/2000
I usually read/post late evening as my days are busy, but I am so excited about sleeping through the
whole night without waking up because of the night splint. In fact, when I did wake up naturally I was
surprised to find my night splint still on and my foot feeling comfortable. No pain with first step, either.

This is what works for me: I wear the Strassberg Sock along with the night splint BUT I do not tighten the
sock to any extreme; I do not bend the toes back as in the illustrations, just enough tension (gentle,
remember?) to keep the toes from pressing down against the night splint.

Wearing the night splint alone my foot eventually experiences discomfort because of 'pressures', how the
leg is positioned, etc. - but with the sock on the foot is held in a more comfortable position without those
uncomfortable pressures.

I also insert the Birkenstock heel lift (picture accessible top of home page) inside the splint for added
comfort and safety. When I get up to turn off the lights, etc I can walk in the night splint in comfort and
safety.

I am currently walking around all day long in comfort for about two weeks now. I am feeling confident
about jogging and dancing by summertime. Good luck to all!

Re: Uncomfortable nightsplint
Posted by Bob G. on 3/30/2000
Hi, Laurie! Glad for your progress! You mentioned the nightsplint was difficult to sleep in (I know) so I
wanted to share what I discovered about making the nightsplint bearable.

Along with the nightsplint, I also wear the Strassburg Sock, but I adjust the sock such that my toes are
not bended back (but kept neutral). As such, by wearing the sock my toes don't press against the
nightsplint, nor do I experience the irritating pressure against the ankle strap. This makes the nightsplint
much more comfortable and I usually sleep through. If by chance I wake early, I lose the nightsplint and
keep the sock.

First step is usually painless as I find my Footflex for early morning gentle stretching exercises.

Posted by Bob G. on 3/31/2000
Hi, Laurie! The nightsplint is becoming more and more a part of my recovery; I don't know what I'd do
without it (amonst other things, too, as you know). Of course, we'd all rather sleep without it, but it is a
fact of life for us, so...

If your nightspint hurts, it probably needs adjustment.

My nightsplint is adjustable, so yours probably is also. Learn how to adjust it and get it to most
comfortable position. This took trial and error until I found the best. Same with the Strassburg Sock; it is
adjustable and just a little tension does the trick. So little tension that you don't notice the tension. At
least this is what works for me.

You can find the Strassburg Sock on this web site. I wish I didn't need all this stuff, but since I do I have
learned to tolerate it. The more you use it the easier it becomes to tolerate it. I remember using it
occasionally and hating it. Now I am using it 99% of the time and thankful that I can be more active on
my feet. I even take all this stuff on my road trips; the motel guests watch me carry my footsplint into my
hotel room and wonder what kind of a fetish that guy has!!!

Re: nightsplints
Posted by Bob G. on 4/07/2000
Hi, Susan!

We should all get together for a slumber party - all must wear night splints! Extra points for
noise-makers...

Next time you strap on your night splint try this: raise your toes and notice how the irritating pressure
points release and produce relief. That is what happens when you wear the Strassburg Sock while
wearing the night splint. (But don't put too much tension into it - just a little is enough).

I have been having great success wearing this contraption every night in comfort (am I crazy?). This is
such an improvement that I don't mind wearing the thing at all.
Hope this helps; feel good soon!

Call it Superstition View Thread
Posted by Bob G. on 5/01/00 at 04:31
As I prepare for bed I contemplate two months of pain free. I am wishing for all PF sufferers to
accomplish this.

Straping on the nightsplint over my strassburg sock I realize from experience that the nightsplint helps
mitigate the discomfort factor in the sock; and the sock helps mitigate the discomfort factor in the
nightsplint. I have found that wearing them separately is fine, but together is much more comfortable.

Maybe I don't need to wear them, but I do. Call it superstition.

As I prepare for bed I contemplate two months of pain free. I am wishing for all PF sufferers to
accomplish this.

Straping on the nightsplint over my strassburg sock I realize from experience that the nightsplint helps
mitigate the discomfort factor in the sock; and the sock helps mitigate the discomfort factor in the
nightsplint. I have found that wearing them separately is fine, but together is much more comfortable.

Message Number 19753
Re: night splints View Thread
Posted by Bob G. on 5/01/00 at 23:35
Hang in there, Truffle!

I remember wearing my nightsplint for the first time; it lasted less that half an hour and I was thinking
there's got to be another way. I make half-hearted attempts to wear it, but it always came off so I could
get to sleep.

But I then believed that the nightsplint would help, it just made sense and I was sick of the pain and
willing to try 'anything' - so I did finally force myself to wear it. What a bummer, I did not sleep well for
days and was tired and grouchy - and the sleepy bags under my eyes! I hated that thing, but I hated PF
more so I kept at it.

Even though I was tired and grouchy I was noticing less pain in my heal, so it was working. I kept
wearing it and kept being tired all day. But the more I'd wear it consistently, the easier it became to bear.
Then, after experimenting, I discovered the combination that worked (for me) - - I started wearing the
s/sock, birk arch support and nightsplint together (!!!). It was more comfortable and I began sleeping
normally and waking up with the nightsplint on. This combination made all the difference in the world (for
me).

From there my recovery was fast. I soon became painfree and am still wearing the darn thing all night
long. I don't even notice it much anymore and this morning when I woke up I noticed that I was wearing
the nightspling and that it felt comfortable and secure - I can now sleep with it without any bother at all.

I hope this helps you, Truffle. Take it in baby steps, keep trying each night. It's okay to take it off if you
must sleep, but keep at it until you can wear it all night. I used to hate the nightsplint, now I love it.

A Night Splint Story View Thread
Posted by Bob G. on 5/03/00 at 23:31
A violin virtuoso living in America truly believed that he could play so well that he could actually charm a
savage beast. Despite the warnings and pleas of his friends, he decided he would go to darkest Africa,
unarmed, with only his violin.
He stood in a clearing in the dense jungle and began to play. An elephant received his scent, and came
charging towards him; but, when he came within hearing distance, he sat down to listen to the beautiful
music.
A panther sprang from a tree with fangs bared, but also succumbed to the music. Soon, a lion appeared
to join the others. Before long, many wild animals were near the virtuoso; he played on, unharmed.
Just then a leopard leaped from a nearby tree, onto the violinist, and devoured him! As he stood licking
his chops, the other animals approached, and asked, 'Why did you do that? The man was playing such
lovely music!'
The leopard, cupping his ear, said, 'Eh, what did you say?'

So you see, no matter how beautiful music is, unfortunately, if you can't hear it, it doesn't mean a thing.
Similarly, no matter how useful and helpful your Nightsplint is, it won't do you a bit of good if you don't
use it.

I do hope that most of you have given more than just thought to using your Nightsplint. If you have, you
should be pleased with the progress you've made. (It takes time, but time heals.)

alan k on 8/26/00 at 08:46 (026259)

I'm not bob but I have used the sock, and even first recommended bob try the sock with a nightsplint at the same time.

The sock stretches the toe back which involves the windlass mechanism of the foot, or the way the plantar fascia holds the length of the foot taught while you tread. There is also muscle involvement in this mechanism although not everyone agrees about this. The Footflex and Acu-Flex and strassbourg sock are all products that target this mechanism for enhanced stretching.

IF you are having sucess with windlass stretching and your pt recommends it, why not try the sock? It can loosen a little while you sleep. It is also very adjustable and so must be used wisely and cautiously. I recommend using it with a nightsplint at the same time, but that is a super bulky contraption, then, and may be hard to sleep.

We have a couple products, not for sale yet, that you might find more useful than s/sock. If you want you can e-mail me for a free sample. In e-mail tell me if you already own a nigthsplint and what kind.

yours,

alan k

Terry on 8/26/00 at 10:53 (026269)

Alan K. - I am sure the success is coming from the myo release and not from windlass stretching, but I would not have even tried these stretches 2 weeks ago. What is the controversy involving this stretch? I would be interested in seeing what you have that compares to the S/S sock. Also, why do you suggest the sock with the splint and not alone? I will email you privately. Thanks, Terry

alan k on 8/26/00 at 13:14 (026275)

Sorry to imply there was a controversy about the stretching. There isn't as far as I know. There are some people who assert that the machanical force that gets translated through the plantar fascia to the rest of the body in propulsion is not assisted by the intrinsic muscles of the foot, but that the pf takes the whole load. If this were true, however unlikely it seems, then the PFT or Acu-Flex would be of little benefit, which is not the case.

One problem that people might have with the sock alone is that the flexion force is concentrated by pulling the toes, and doesn't get distributed along the whole foot. This, if you crank the sock up too much, could lead to discomfort in the metatarsal region. If you don't go overboard, it should be okay. With a nightsplint, the force gets distributed across the most of the foot, but most nightsplints do not engage the toes. You can wear both at the same time, which takes care of the possible (not definite) problem. I didn't want to imply that I was suggesting that this is necessarily the best way to do it, though.

cheers,

alan k

Re: Night Splints / My Story / Thanks to Alan

Bob G. on 8/27/00 at 00:29 (026315)

Message Number 15790
Re: Strasburg Sock verses Night Splints
Posted by Bob G. on 2/12/2000
I do have an opinion on this subject. I am using the night splint and believe it helps me progress. As
Helene just pointed out to me the night splint needs to be adjusted to your comfort level. In fact,
adjusting the night splint to your personal comfort level seems very important in living with the thing; it is
difficult at times to get a full night's sleep - but, oh, is it worth it!

I have the Strassburg Sock, but am waiting until I reach a higher level of recovery before I even begin
using the sock - I feel the sock is a little more agressive and could easily re-injure if not careful. I am
looking forward to easing into the sock as I believe it will propell me to wellness in the long run.

I would not sell my night splint or my sock; they're important to me.

It takes so long to get back to no inflamation. Conservative use of the night splint helps; over-stretching
before ready hurts.

Message Number 15842
After first use of Strasburg Sock AND Night Splint
Posted by Bob G. on 2/14/2000
I got up early and added the S/Sock to my nightsplint per Alan's suggestion, slept and hour and then got
up with no pain or discomfort. I am encouraged. I plan to gradually increase usage and add this
technique to my 'bag of tricks'. This feels like progress :)

Message Number 16829
Comfortable Night Splint
Posted by Bob G. on 3/03/2000
I usually read/post late evening as my days are busy, but I am so excited about sleeping through the
whole night without waking up because of the night splint. In fact, when I did wake up naturally I was
surprised to find my night splint still on and my foot feeling comfortable. No pain with first step, either.

This is what works for me: I wear the Strassberg Sock along with the night splint BUT I do not tighten the
sock to any extreme; I do not bend the toes back as in the illustrations, just enough tension (gentle,
remember?) to keep the toes from pressing down against the night splint.

Wearing the night splint alone my foot eventually experiences discomfort because of 'pressures', how the
leg is positioned, etc. - but with the sock on the foot is held in a more comfortable position without those
uncomfortable pressures.

I also insert the Birkenstock heel lift (picture accessible top of home page) inside the splint for added
comfort and safety. When I get up to turn off the lights, etc I can walk in the night splint in comfort and
safety.

I am currently walking around all day long in comfort for about two weeks now. I am feeling confident
about jogging and dancing by summertime. Good luck to all!

Posted by Bob G. on 3/30/2000
Hi, Laurie! Glad for your progress! You mentioned the nightsplint was difficult to sleep in (I know) so I
wanted to share what I discovered about making the nightsplint bearable.

Along with the nightsplint, I also wear the Strassburg Sock, but I adjust the sock such that my toes are
not bended back (but kept neutral). As such, by wearing the sock my toes don't press against the
nightsplint, nor do I experience the irritating pressure against the ankle strap. This makes the nightsplint
much more comfortable and I usually sleep through. If by chance I wake early, I lose the nightsplint and
keep the sock.

First step is usually painless as I find my Footflex for early morning gentle stretching exercises.

Posted by Bob G. on 3/31/2000
Hi, Laurie! The nightsplint is becoming more and more a part of my recovery; I don't know what I'd do
without it (amonst other things, too, as you know). Of course, we'd all rather sleep without it, but it is a
fact of life for us, so...

If your nightspint hurts, it probably needs adjustment.

My nightsplint is adjustable, so yours probably is also. Learn how to adjust it and get it to most
comfortable position. This took trial and error until I found the best. Same with the Strassburg Sock; it is
adjustable and just a little tension does the trick. So little tension that you don't notice the tension. At
least this is what works for me.

You can find the Strassburg Sock on this web site. I wish I didn't need all this stuff, but since I do I have
learned to tolerate it. The more you use it the easier it becomes to tolerate it. I remember using it
occasionally and hating it. Now I am using it 99% of the time and thankful that I can be more active on
my feet. I even take all this stuff on my road trips; the motel guests watch me carry my footsplint into my
hotel room and wonder what kind of a fetish that guy has!!!

Re: nightsplints
Posted by Bob G. on 4/07/2000
Hi, Susan!

We should all get together for a slumber party - all must wear night splints! Extra points for
noise-makers...

Next time you strap on your night splint try this: raise your toes and notice how the irritating pressure
points release and produce relief. That is what happens when you wear the Strassburg Sock while
wearing the night splint. (But don't put too much tension into it - just a little is enough).

I have been having great success wearing this contraption every night in comfort (am I crazy?). This is
such an improvement that I don't mind wearing the thing at all.
Hope this helps; feel good soon!

accomplish this.

accomplish this.

Message Number 19753
Re: night splints View Thread
Posted by Bob G. on 5/01/00 at 23:35
Hang in there, Truffle!

I remember wearing my nightsplint for the first time; it lasted less that half an hour and I was thinking
there's got to be another way. I make half-hearted attempts to wear it, but it always came off so I could
get to sleep.

But I then believed that the nightsplint would help, it just made sense and I was sick of the pain and
willing to try 'anything' - so I did finally force myself to wear it. What a bummer, I did not sleep well for
days and was tired and grouchy - and the sleepy bags under my eyes! I hated that thing, but I hated PF
more so I kept at it.

Even though I was tired and grouchy I was noticing less pain in my heal, so it was working. I kept
wearing it and kept being tired all day. But the more I'd wear it consistently, the easier it became to bear.
Then, after experimenting, I discovered the combination that worked (for me) - - I started wearing the
s/sock, birk arch support and nightsplint together (!!!). It was more comfortable and I began sleeping
normally and waking up with the nightsplint on. This combination made all the difference in the world (for
me).

From there my recovery was fast. I soon became painfree and am still wearing the darn thing all night
long. I don't even notice it much anymore and this morning when I woke up I noticed that I was wearing
the nightspling and that it felt comfortable and secure - I can now sleep with it without any bother at all.

I hope this helps you, Truffle. Take it in baby steps, keep trying each night. It's okay to take it off if you
must sleep, but keep at it until you can wear it all night. I used to hate the nightsplint, now I love it.

A Night Splint Story View Thread
Posted by Bob G. on 5/03/00 at 23:31
A violin virtuoso living in America truly believed that he could play so well that he could actually charm a
savage beast. Despite the warnings and pleas of his friends, he decided he would go to darkest Africa,
unarmed, with only his violin.
He stood in a clearing in the dense jungle and began to play. An elephant received his scent, and came
charging towards him; but, when he came within hearing distance, he sat down to listen to the beautiful
music.
A panther sprang from a tree with fangs bared, but also succumbed to the music. Soon, a lion appeared
to join the others. Before long, many wild animals were near the virtuoso; he played on, unharmed.
Just then a leopard leaped from a nearby tree, onto the violinist, and devoured him! As he stood licking
his chops, the other animals approached, and asked, 'Why did you do that? The man was playing such
lovely music!'
The leopard, cupping his ear, said, 'Eh, what did you say?'

So you see, no matter how beautiful music is, unfortunately, if you can't hear it, it doesn't mean a thing.
Similarly, no matter how useful and helpful your Nightsplint is, it won't do you a bit of good if you don't
use it.

I do hope that most of you have given more than just thought to using your Nightsplint. If you have, you
should be pleased with the progress you've made. (It takes time, but time heals.)