Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Myofascial release question and foot stretches

Posted by salina on 8/26/00 at 13:13 (026274)

first, thanks, dfeet, for your response earlier.
I was scheduled for a myofascial release to be done during PT last week, but i was too scared. The PT guy even said he didn't want to do anything that made me scared. He did tell me it wouldn't hurt.
But I have read several posts from people saying they think their PT therapist over did stuff and made them hurt worse and swell up. you know, I mentioned last week to yall that I am having difficulty containing my temper with this PF business. I think having an actual live person do something to make me hurt worse might just tip me over the edge. I do exaggerate. But not much. The guy looked young and inexperienced, and i think I could give him a good whipping if he hurt me. i think he sensed this also, cause he sure was quick to agree not to do it. Question is, What does it feel like? In my right foot, I actually have pain upon the slightest touch all along my arch, so how in the world could I withstand anything that is named 'fascial RELEASE!'. Even the name is scary.
I am thinking the strassburg sock could help me. I wore my nightsplints (yes, two) all this past week. The first two days, it actually made my feet feel worse, really sore all over, but I stuck it out and now I can feel it helping my feet with flexibility. But I am still having to work on the big toe flexibility thing. Every day this week I have used the PFT. And stretched my calves several times a day. I am no longer cramping. My PT guy said if I don't start walking like a normal person it is going to harder and harder to get that flexibility back. With myleft foot I step off pretty normal, but my right one I just sort of place it flat on the floor without moving from ball to heel like you are supposed to. But, I am working on that, and continuing to stretch that area every day. it is best to do these exercises first thing in the morning (after warming up) before my feet have time to get inflamed or swollen. When that happens, it is hard to move or stretch at all, and it hurts more. I use the pft I guess the way some of you use a towel or rubber band, I real slowly pull back on that big toe and hold it there. I can tell a difference already. I have to ice right afterwards though and take an ibuprophen in case I overdo it. But so far so good.
And I got free custom orthotics yesterday. At least the army's version of them, haha. I wore them for one hour. Will try to increase that by an hour today. One good thing was that wearing my reeboks again (with orthotics in them) helped me walk at a more normal gait. I love my birk sandals, but I am going to stick it out and try to see if these orthotics will work also.
So, again, who can tell me how bad myofascial release hurts? And by the way, Karen and Judy, if you girls are just going to sit around eating chips and watching movies this weekend, you could be dolls and babysit my five kids. They love chips (they never make a mess) and they love movies (only Grated, no violence, no ___, no blood, no horrors, no adult themes, no foul language) Doesn't that sound fun???
Hoping everyone is having a nice weekend and not in too much pain.

Re: Myofascial release question and foot stretches

KarenS on 8/26/00 at 21:53 (026304)

Sure Salina I'll watch your kids. I'm childless, but love kids. The only problem is you'll have to bring them to Canada for the night. I live near Niagara Falls, Ontario. Is that a problem. lol

I had an open release done, and once the freezing needles took, I didn't feel the actual surgery, just pressure from what he was doing. Afterwards was a different story.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Karen

Re: Darn it, Karen, Canada is just a little too far from Hawaii, LOL eom.

salina on 8/26/00 at 23:16 (026312)

eom

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/27/00 at 07:51 (026318)

So you are pulling the big toe back with the personal foot trainer and holding it there. Is this because of pain . I was taught that you pull back until the rubber band is against the foot . Now push forward slowly and resist the forward movement by holding back not pulling the end of the golf stick. This is how you get a isometic execercise and what makes the personal foot trainer different then the rest. It took me alittle time to ge this and understand this method of stretching. If was one of those things we were taught in school and then went out and forgot. The sucess of the PFT is very dependant on the operator's correct use. Sorry to drag on about this but my patients results went up once I learned how to teach them how to use this. I practiced on my self.

Re: Darn it, Karen, Canada is just a little too far from Hawaii, LOL eom. (Only 10 hr. flight)

KarenS on 8/27/00 at 12:49 (026348)

I agree with you there. We went to Hawaii last Dec. and it was a 10 hour flight. But well worth it. Maybe next visit!!!!!

Re: thank you , Dr. Zuckerman

salina on 8/27/00 at 14:41 (026376)

My comment was a bit confusing, wasn't it? I try to do the normal routine of PFT exercises as soon as I wake up, because my feet have had a night of rest and are more ready to accept stretching and exercising. The PFT book is pretty good, and I go through the exercises listed in it. At first, I could barely move my toes to even get in position to do the exercises. My movements were more like small pulses instead of actual movements. But now it is better, and I am really working on getting the breathing right and slowing down to do the exercises correctly. It is also easy to overdo it, so I have to watch that. The saying, 'no pain, no gain' does not apply with these things.
Let me explain what I do after I get through with the regular set of exercises, and maybe you can advise me on rather I should continue to do this or not. My right foot is a lot tighter, and my right toe does not flex back at all as well as my left foot. This worries me since my right is also so much worse than my left one. When I begin to try to flex my toes back, there is a big difference in the two. So I take the PFT and pull slowly on my right toe until it is more even with my left. And I hold it there for a few seconds, then do it maybe one more time. Then I flex my toes back without the PFT, and there is a lot more flexibility in my right toe. At least for a few minutes. But later in the day, if I try to flex them and compare the two feet, my right one is tight all over again.
For anyone reading this, please understand that this is NOT an exercise that is in the pft book or one that was suggested. This is just something I started doing on my own, and possibly could make my situation worse, I don't know yet. so DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDDIES!!!
Dr. Zuckerman, what do you think about this?? thank you

KarenS on 8/26/00 at 21:53 (026304)

Sure Salina I'll watch your kids. I'm childless, but love kids. The only problem is you'll have to bring them to Canada for the night. I live near Niagara Falls, Ontario. Is that a problem. lol

I had an open release done, and once the freezing needles took, I didn't feel the actual surgery, just pressure from what he was doing. Afterwards was a different story.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Karen

Re: Darn it, Karen, Canada is just a little too far from Hawaii, LOL eom.

salina on 8/26/00 at 23:16 (026312)

eom

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/27/00 at 07:51 (026318)

So you are pulling the big toe back with the personal foot trainer and holding it there. Is this because of pain . I was taught that you pull back until the rubber band is against the foot . Now push forward slowly and resist the forward movement by holding back not pulling the end of the golf stick. This is how you get a isometic execercise and what makes the personal foot trainer different then the rest. It took me alittle time to ge this and understand this method of stretching. If was one of those things we were taught in school and then went out and forgot. The sucess of the PFT is very dependant on the operator's correct use. Sorry to drag on about this but my patients results went up once I learned how to teach them how to use this. I practiced on my self.

Re: Darn it, Karen, Canada is just a little too far from Hawaii, LOL eom. (Only 10 hr. flight)

KarenS on 8/27/00 at 12:49 (026348)

I agree with you there. We went to Hawaii last Dec. and it was a 10 hour flight. But well worth it. Maybe next visit!!!!!

Re: thank you , Dr. Zuckerman

salina on 8/27/00 at 14:41 (026376)

My comment was a bit confusing, wasn't it? I try to do the normal routine of PFT exercises as soon as I wake up, because my feet have had a night of rest and are more ready to accept stretching and exercising. The PFT book is pretty good, and I go through the exercises listed in it. At first, I could barely move my toes to even get in position to do the exercises. My movements were more like small pulses instead of actual movements. But now it is better, and I am really working on getting the breathing right and slowing down to do the exercises correctly. It is also easy to overdo it, so I have to watch that. The saying, 'no pain, no gain' does not apply with these things.
Let me explain what I do after I get through with the regular set of exercises, and maybe you can advise me on rather I should continue to do this or not. My right foot is a lot tighter, and my right toe does not flex back at all as well as my left foot. This worries me since my right is also so much worse than my left one. When I begin to try to flex my toes back, there is a big difference in the two. So I take the PFT and pull slowly on my right toe until it is more even with my left. And I hold it there for a few seconds, then do it maybe one more time. Then I flex my toes back without the PFT, and there is a lot more flexibility in my right toe. At least for a few minutes. But later in the day, if I try to flex them and compare the two feet, my right one is tight all over again.
For anyone reading this, please understand that this is NOT an exercise that is in the pft book or one that was suggested. This is just something I started doing on my own, and possibly could make my situation worse, I don't know yet. so DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDDIES!!!
Dr. Zuckerman, what do you think about this?? thank you