Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Note to all to catch up, stairs/RSD/blood clot/dry climate/John H ESWT/Pun

Posted by wendyn on 8/26/00 at 21:50 (026303)

Greetings....

Just returned from vacation and trying to catch up on the week's events. Trying to scan through a week's posts is postively mind bending. Now my head hurts...

For the record in case anyone still cares - I have too many stairs and I live in a painfully dry climate. So dry, I cannot wear contacts lenses most of the time (many people here have problems with dry bleeding noses, cracked skin on their hands and intolerence to contact lenses). I just spent a week in a more humid climate - it was wonderful except that towels never seem to dry out properly.

On the subject of RSD (I'm sorry I missed this conversation)...there have been other posters here that were eventually diagnosed with RSD. Lee H was one, and there was another man a few months ago (was his name Steve?). His first doctor told him he should just basically suck it up and deal with his pain. He hurt himself walking across the office. If you do a search on this board on RSD there will be some good info. I have also had this diagnosis tossed around by my PT and acupuncturist, so I've done some research on it. It is supposed to be more painful than labour - and it's up there on the pain levels with amputation....this is a rare condition that (as Dr Z pointed out) is very important to catch in the early stages. It's now more commonly known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

I think it's good Dr Z mentioned it - it is a good reminder that anyone experiencing unexplained pain should see a doctor.

For my feet - they were not so great on my vacation. I abused them badly before I went away (recall the 4 hours at the zoo plus shopping). I have not worked out in any way shape or form in two weeks. I haven't gone to yoga all of August, and I've only done stretching on my own twice in two weeks. I drank lots of wine on my vacation (never good for nerve problems) and I was even lax about taking my B12.

Perhaps I just needed to really slack off for a bit.

I did a good job.

In addition, I endured the car trip both ways (about 8 and half hours of sitting which always aggravates my back and feet).

I will try to 'Get back on the wagon' on my foot care, and hope that things return to where they were before. I go for my MRI on October 2, so I'm also debating just pushing it for now to see what happens before then. At least that way if things are worse they'll be able to see what's going on. Just a thought, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

John - keep us posted on how you do...looking forward to seeing pictures!

Laurie - try to elevate your foot while you're at school (under your desk) it may make a big difference).

Pat, hoping that you're okay and that you're problem is 'only' muscle related.

My fav. pun (no I didn't write it).

Two boll weevils grew up in South Carolina. One went to Hollywood and became a famous actor, the other stayed behind in the cotton fields and never amounted to much. The second one, naturally, became known as the lesser of two weevels.

:)

Re: Note to all to catch up, stairs/RSD/blood clot/dry climate/John H ESWT/Pun

Bob G. on 8/26/00 at 23:48 (026313)

Wendyn, that is a respectable pun. As bad as I am, no pun in ten did. (that was Steve's!)

Good to have you back. I know you're behind (no pun intended), but (no pun intended) Steve responded last week to my pun with an even better laugher.

Hope you are doing better now that you are back and getting into your routine. Take care of your feet ('All of them!' shouted the Centipede.)

Nancy S. on 8/27/00 at 11:17 (026336)

Wendy, well what the heck, your August sounds a lot better than mine, and you probably enjoyed most of it, yes? More power to you. You know what you have to do to settle your feet down, so I think you'll do fine. I have to admit, I sort of subconsciously do a subtle version before I see the dr. of what you're considering doing before your MRI -- pushing it a bit. Then they can see where you are when you try to live a half-normal life. There might be some sense in that.
Are you going to have more acupuncture also?
I'm glad you got away. I tried to get away to a family reunion for 3 days and a cat ran away an hour before we were to leave and I wrecked my tendons trying to find her and missed the whole thing. This was to be my pitiful 'summer vacation.' Oh well. I'm recovering, at least mentally.
Nancy
p.s. Cat returned next day at 5 a.m. after no sleep on my part -- probably none on hers, either, she apparently had a blast and now wants to go out every night as soon as darkness falls.

Re: This series of posts is an example of tech/support overlap.

Beverly on 8/27/00 at 14:07 (026358)

Hi Wendyn,

Glad you're back. Slow down before you have a major relaspse.

This series of posts from Wendyn, Nancy, and others demonstrates why tech and support will overlap.

Beverly

Bob G. on 8/26/00 at 23:48 (026313)

Wendyn, that is a respectable pun. As bad as I am, no pun in ten did. (that was Steve's!)

Good to have you back. I know you're behind (no pun intended), but (no pun intended) Steve responded last week to my pun with an even better laugher.

Hope you are doing better now that you are back and getting into your routine. Take care of your feet ('All of them!' shouted the Centipede.)

Nancy S. on 8/27/00 at 11:17 (026336)

Wendy, well what the heck, your August sounds a lot better than mine, and you probably enjoyed most of it, yes? More power to you. You know what you have to do to settle your feet down, so I think you'll do fine. I have to admit, I sort of subconsciously do a subtle version before I see the dr. of what you're considering doing before your MRI -- pushing it a bit. Then they can see where you are when you try to live a half-normal life. There might be some sense in that.
Are you going to have more acupuncture also?
I'm glad you got away. I tried to get away to a family reunion for 3 days and a cat ran away an hour before we were to leave and I wrecked my tendons trying to find her and missed the whole thing. This was to be my pitiful 'summer vacation.' Oh well. I'm recovering, at least mentally.
Nancy
p.s. Cat returned next day at 5 a.m. after no sleep on my part -- probably none on hers, either, she apparently had a blast and now wants to go out every night as soon as darkness falls.

Re: This series of posts is an example of tech/support overlap.

Beverly on 8/27/00 at 14:07 (026358)

Hi Wendyn,

Glad you're back. Slow down before you have a major relaspse.

This series of posts from Wendyn, Nancy, and others demonstrates why tech and support will overlap.

Beverly