Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PFT Question/How To. I asked this a few hours earlier but it is now lost.

Posted by Beverly on 8/27/00 at 19:20 (026427)

Dr. Z,

I hope you have not already answered this. I asked it a few hours ago, but it got lost in the board change. I can't find any of the pre-split posts.

I start the PFT tomorrow... under PT supervision. I have read numerous posts saying that if I don't do it just right I will have a sore toe or it won't give me optimum benefit. Could you give my PT and me some pointers? I still don't quite understand what it is I'm NOT suppose to do with the rubber band in regards to my toe. I know you wrote about that in the last day or two but I still don't completely understand.
Also, is there anything else we need to know that perhaps is not clear from the photos/directions in the PFT manual that came with my PFT?
This will be a new modality for my PT too. I want to make sure I use it correctly.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: PFT Question/How To. I asked this a few hours earlier but it is now lost.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/27/00 at 19:43 (026430)

I am excited you are my first question.!!!!!!. The personal foot trainer works like this.

We are doing the Achilles tendon.

1. Place the end of the golf stick just below the ball of your foot.
2. Pull back the end of the golf stick until the rubber is against the foot.
3. Now hold the end of the stick tight and push your foot FORWARD
with slow putting back of the end of the golf stck. The pulling back is only for placing some resistance in the excercise. You don't need to pull the stick back very much at all.

4. The way you know it is being done is that either you will feel some pulling in the back of the calf or the person (your Pt)) should place his or her hand on the back of the calf to see if there is some tightness.

So the idea is to push forward and at the same time slight pull back so that the golf stick is holding the foot and ankle in one place.

If you don't understand this I will think of other way. It took me some time to get this.

Re: PFT Question/How To. I asked this a few hours earlier but it is now lost.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/27/00 at 19:43 (026430)

I am excited you are my first question.!!!!!!. The personal foot trainer works like this.

We are doing the Achilles tendon.

1. Place the end of the golf stick just below the ball of your foot.
2. Pull back the end of the golf stick until the rubber is against the foot.
3. Now hold the end of the stick tight and push your foot FORWARD
with slow putting back of the end of the golf stck. The pulling back is only for placing some resistance in the excercise. You don't need to pull the stick back very much at all.

4. The way you know it is being done is that either you will feel some pulling in the back of the calf or the person (your Pt)) should place his or her hand on the back of the calf to see if there is some tightness.

So the idea is to push forward and at the same time slight pull back so that the golf stick is holding the foot and ankle in one place.

If you don't understand this I will think of other way. It took me some time to get this.