Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Surgery

Posted by john h on 8/28/00 at 08:50 (026463)

in august of 1999 i had a Tarsal Tunnel Release,PF release (only a small release perhaps 10-15%), and a chelictomy (great toe joint bone spurs removed). Will be glad to answer in questions if you have any ((email removed)).

Re: Foot Surgery

Sue R on 8/28/00 at 19:12 (026534)

John, how does the surgery work where they release only a part of the pf? Did it help? And how do they decide how much? Just curious.

Thanks,
Sue R

john h on 8/29/00 at 15:15 (026627)

sue: i had what is know as the Baxter Procedure. a small portion of the fascia in the shape of a semi-circle is removed from over the baxter nerve where the fascia attaches to the heel. the widith of the piece that is removed is probably less than 1/2'. this does reduce some of the tension on the fascia and dr. baxter thinks removes pressure from the baxter nerve. the good side of this procedure is that your fascia remains very much in tact and there is not much chance of haing any structural problems because of a lack of fascia support. there appears to be much less chance of other complications. Dr Baxter is a famous surgeon from Houston who developed the procedure. Not all orthorpedic surgeons know how to do this or have heard of it. it is discussed in the wheeless text of orthopedic surgery. the downside is that if your problem is a very tight fascia and you release very little you will not cure the problem but it is unlikely to make it worse. my foot that i had surgery on is just slightly better but i was walking within 10 days and there was a very small incision. it is a very successful procedure for many people without some of the risk of a major release. you will probably have to fine a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon perhaps in a large teaching hospital who will be familiar with this procedure.

Re: John After the fact.Re: Foot Surgery

Pat M. on 8/29/00 at 20:27 (026669)

Do you know what the complications can be after an open release. I am right now concerned with a fracture to the heel at the farthest part (closest to the back of my heel). Is this a possibility? Hope not.
Pat M.

Dr. Biehler on 8/29/00 at 21:53 (026683)

If the open release was done from the side, they go in, snip out a section of fascia and close the insission. This should not be effecting the back of the heel. If the bone was worked on a fracture could be possible but is not common.

Pat M. on 8/30/00 at 17:42 (026768)

My incision is on the bottom of my foot. He did say something about working on the bone, but I am such a doofus that I'm not sure what it was. Anyway...I guess I'll just live with it until it goes away or I see the doc again.
Thanks,
Pat

john h on 8/30/00 at 18:47 (026773)

some docs do the pf release from the side (not with a scope) and some from the bottom. i think dr z told me he does his from the bottom.

KarenS on 8/31/00 at 23:07 (026863)

My release was an open procedure from the side and I also had a heel spur removed. I was in a cast for 4 weeks after the staples were removed but am still in alot of pain. My whole foot hurts now as well as all around the bottom of my leg. I don't know whats happening here.

john h on 9/01/00 at 10:22 (026881)

most of the things i read karen indicate it is going to take up to one year for you to feel the final effects of your surgery. nerves have to mend. your muscles will probably atrophy some due to lack of use and you will experience various unusual pains. do what your doc says but at some point you will need to start some sort of exercise to get the muscles in your legs back in condition.

Karen on 9/02/00 at 00:58 (026938)

I am in physio therapy now, well actually I started it the day my cast came off. I know I have a long haul ahead of me, but I'm sticking to it. I just wish I could see some kind of improvement.

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:21 (027329)

the experts can tell you better than me karen but i would think anytime your foot is in a cast for 4 weeks you are going to have all kinds of strange feelings in the foot/leg after the cast comes off. my foot was in a half cast which went about 8' above my ankle. the cast was open in the front and i was only in it for 10 days. if i had only had the open pf surgery i would have just been in a surgical shoe.

Sue R on 8/28/00 at 19:12 (026534)

John, how does the surgery work where they release only a part of the pf? Did it help? And how do they decide how much? Just curious.

Thanks,
Sue R

john h on 8/29/00 at 15:15 (026627)

sue: i had what is know as the Baxter Procedure. a small portion of the fascia in the shape of a semi-circle is removed from over the baxter nerve where the fascia attaches to the heel. the widith of the piece that is removed is probably less than 1/2'. this does reduce some of the tension on the fascia and dr. baxter thinks removes pressure from the baxter nerve. the good side of this procedure is that your fascia remains very much in tact and there is not much chance of haing any structural problems because of a lack of fascia support. there appears to be much less chance of other complications. Dr Baxter is a famous surgeon from Houston who developed the procedure. Not all orthorpedic surgeons know how to do this or have heard of it. it is discussed in the wheeless text of orthopedic surgery. the downside is that if your problem is a very tight fascia and you release very little you will not cure the problem but it is unlikely to make it worse. my foot that i had surgery on is just slightly better but i was walking within 10 days and there was a very small incision. it is a very successful procedure for many people without some of the risk of a major release. you will probably have to fine a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon perhaps in a large teaching hospital who will be familiar with this procedure.

Pat M. on 8/29/00 at 20:27 (026669)

Do you know what the complications can be after an open release. I am right now concerned with a fracture to the heel at the farthest part (closest to the back of my heel). Is this a possibility? Hope not.
Pat M.

Dr. Biehler on 8/29/00 at 21:53 (026683)

If the open release was done from the side, they go in, snip out a section of fascia and close the insission. This should not be effecting the back of the heel. If the bone was worked on a fracture could be possible but is not common.

Pat M. on 8/30/00 at 17:42 (026768)

My incision is on the bottom of my foot. He did say something about working on the bone, but I am such a doofus that I'm not sure what it was. Anyway...I guess I'll just live with it until it goes away or I see the doc again.
Thanks,
Pat

john h on 8/30/00 at 18:47 (026773)

some docs do the pf release from the side (not with a scope) and some from the bottom. i think dr z told me he does his from the bottom.

KarenS on 8/31/00 at 23:07 (026863)

My release was an open procedure from the side and I also had a heel spur removed. I was in a cast for 4 weeks after the staples were removed but am still in alot of pain. My whole foot hurts now as well as all around the bottom of my leg. I don't know whats happening here.

john h on 9/01/00 at 10:22 (026881)

most of the things i read karen indicate it is going to take up to one year for you to feel the final effects of your surgery. nerves have to mend. your muscles will probably atrophy some due to lack of use and you will experience various unusual pains. do what your doc says but at some point you will need to start some sort of exercise to get the muscles in your legs back in condition.

Karen on 9/02/00 at 00:58 (026938)

I am in physio therapy now, well actually I started it the day my cast came off. I know I have a long haul ahead of me, but I'm sticking to it. I just wish I could see some kind of improvement.

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:21 (027329)

the experts can tell you better than me karen but i would think anytime your foot is in a cast for 4 weeks you are going to have all kinds of strange feelings in the foot/leg after the cast comes off. my foot was in a half cast which went about 8' above my ankle. the cast was open in the front and i was only in it for 10 days. if i had only had the open pf surgery i would have just been in a surgical shoe.