Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Monday morning........

Posted by JudyS on 8/28/00 at 10:33 (026473)

Because my weekends tend to be active, it seems that Monday mornings have become my time to assess my PF progress - and at the risk of seeming egotistic, share it on the Board.
Many times now I've read here of someone's PF success story, even after years of suffering, and it seems the same thing comes filtering through in terms of their treatment....and that's all the usual, traditional methodology! Rest, Ibuprofen, massage, stretch, strengthen, ice. Someone posted just last week that they were revisiting the site after complete recovery and shared that very methodology as their way of healing. Because I seriously don't want surgery and I seriously can't afford ESWT (but haven't ruled either out), I've tried to stay commited to the traditional stuff. I have to assume it's working because, as I've mentioned many times, a year ago I couldn't stand in one place for 2 minutes and certainly couldn't play ball, run or rake leaves! I was commenting to my husband last nite, after a total of about 8 hours of raking leaves over the weekend (LOTS of trees around here!), that I remember when I couldn't walk across the stadium parking lot to attend a football game! I would imagine too that the traditional stuff is REALLY effective if started early enough!
Anyway, I had the most active weekend I've had in over 2 years. Yes, I had achy feet at the end of both days as well as this AM, but it's not crippling, as it was a year ago. The 'damage' I thought my PT had done last week has abated surprisingly well - no crutches necessary after all. I still have heel pain and achy archs but it's about 30% what it was only 6 months ago and I recover more quickly than I did.
What surprises me the most is that at the end of last Monday I was certain that I'd relapsed completely. This Monday is a different story but not one many here haven't experienced. You know, one minute you're hopeful and the next all heel, oops I mean hell, has broken loose again!
Anyway, I guess I like to continue to heartily support the traditional methods - which isn't easy for this very impatient person!

Re: Monday morning........

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 10:51 (026476)

Judy,

That sounds like real progress. It is encouraging for me to read how much more you can do. I still only see tiny progress, but just being able to wear my athletic shoes again with inserts when they were once too tight to wear (due to inflammation) feels like my first real wave of progress.

How long have you been regularly stretching?

Thanks for the encouraging story,
Beverly
PS: Although I do not aspire to ever rake leaves, I would love to be able to someday be on my feet all day for some other reason.

JudyS on 8/28/00 at 12:45 (026488)

Good Morning, Beverly!
I actually started stretching regularly about 6 months ago - but stopped when my whole 'nuther tendonitis started up. Now that I know the newer problem wasn't created by stretching, I'm back at it and have been for about a month. At first the only one I did was sitting on the floor with my feet against a wall then bending forward at the hips. Three times a day. Sometimes I add something under my toes to get more angle. Now I've added more so-called plantar stretching (I understand you can't really stretch the Plantar because it's a tendon) by just holding my toes back with my hand. Last, and you're not going to believe this, I'm doing those 'hanging off a step' stretches. Yep, I argued with my PT about it when he surprised me by encouraging that stretch. He said the non-weight-bearing stretches are perfect for what they're intended for (creating collagen?) and the weight-bearing ones are for, I think, creating proteins which then help circulation - I have many knots in my calf muscles. So I'm very careful with them - especially because my Achilles get a little sore with them (yes Nancy, I know!) but I'm doing them. BTW - I think you need to come west and experience the true joy of raking leaves all day........I still have plenty left!

BONNY on 8/28/00 at 13:22 (026495)

Did you know that Sonorex Therapy is only 535.00 in Toronto?

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 14:57 (026512)

Judy,

I started the PFT today in PT. I'm glad I'm doing it under her supervision. I would have put too much force into it left to my own devices. I can see it is tricky to get used to. It did not hurt the first time around... except that my big toe is a bit sore. I've read other people write about that. My PT said that hopefully, if my toe hurts it will just be muscle soreness since I'm not used to using my toe muscles.

Keep us posted how that hanging off the step thing goes. I've read more bad than good about that one. My PT says it's easy to hurt yourself doing it. She wants me to work up to being able to stand with my heels off a book. We tried it a few weeks ago, and it was too much for me, but perhaps later down the road. She is also eager for me to be able to do a gentle calf stretch. As you may remember, that was too much for me too.

So for the next few weeks, I'm trying out the PFT. I'm taking it slow and easy with it. I have no opinion yet since I just started using it.

It's good to see someone posting about treatment. It is interesting with the board divided up, we're not talking much about foot pain and treatment. Very few posts here.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/28/00 at 21:30 (026548)

Oh Judy! Hanging off the stair. That makes me very nervous for you . . . but I'm glad you're doing better this Monday than last.
I like your encouragement of the traditional therapies -- most of us probably don't give them enough time, or maybe don't have proper guidance in setting a course for ourselves.
I'm in the middle of basically starting over, because of the tendonitises (Watch Out for those achilles!) -- but I have a lot of hope (well, most days) because for once I now have a good doctor and the physical therapist to guide me.
It looks like I'm about ready to start more avid stretching and some strengthening.
I've just ordered Alan K's Acu-Flex -- it looks really good to me and I think it will help me, not only my legs and feet but for general overall body (and hopefully mental) well-being.
And I'll be able to post on the board(s) the WHILE using it!
I have a follow-up with the sports med. dr. tomorrow and hope to learn that it's time to lose the walking cast and get moving (slowly and gently, of course).
Nancy

Re: Tuesday morning........

Bob G. on 8/29/00 at 01:22 (026576)

Well, I am having great success with the FootFlex.

Back when I was just barely recovering, with some pain, but mostly not, the FootFlex catipulted me ahead.

I now use the FootFlex dozens of times a day. It only takes a few seconds each time and is sooo easy.

It is much more efficient and effective than the traditional wall stretches. BG

Terry on 8/29/00 at 09:58 (026592)

Bob G. - I am glad you are having success witht the Foot Flex. I am finally seeing serious improvement also. About the Foot Flex, does the ball of your foot stay flat or is the toe pulled back? It is hard to tell by the picture. Apparently there is something to pulling back the toe, something about a windlass. Maybe Dr. Z could explain that. Thanks, Terry

Judy B on 8/30/00 at 13:54 (026748)

Hey Jude...Sounds like I'm where you were a year ago. I can't stand in one spot for more than a minute or so....encouraging to know that there may be light at the end of the tunnel! Could you explain to me your exercise regime back then and how you progressed it....do you wear orthotics now?

Re: FootFlex question

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 00:09 (026791)

Hi, Terry!

That is a good question. Here is my response: I think it's just the toe and not the ball, BUT, I do not use it barefoot. I always use it while wearing my most foot-friendly shoes (New Balance 877s) and do gentle stretches. Many gentle brief stretches while wearing shoes that cradle and support my foot while it's doing FootFlex gentle stretches.

This really works well for me. Hope so for you, too. Best of luck to you, Terry! BG

Re: Judy2

JudyS on 8/31/00 at 00:29 (026792)

Judy - first, thank you for your graciousness in altering your Board 'name', it would have been simple enough for me to do the same and I really appreciate it...what's 'B'?
I didn't have an exercise regime a year ago-which is most likely why I still have PF. I might have done a few wall stretches and taken a few ibuprofen, as my doc said to, but even in the height of pain I ignored it and expected it to magically go away. I wish my doc would've shaken me and told me how chronic this could become.
I've been through 4 sets of orthotics starting with a generic set given me by my Pod. I graduated to 3 'custom', the first two being too rigid for me. This last pair that I have is on again off again. Sometimes it seems like they cause aching, sometimes they don't bother me. But I continue to try them because I know my high arches need something! Where I really run in to problems regarding inserts is when I want to wear different shoes. They don't fit the same in each pair and switching them is a pain! And of course, there's that whole 'breaking in' thing - like it's so easy to remember to stop what you're doing and switch your shoes or their inserts!
By the way, I just bought a pair of Reebok walking shoes that have a very nice arch in them so I don't put the orthotics in them
Last, I'm VERY happy to report that one of my feet had NO heel pain today! And I was on my feet just about all day. I'm so amazed I can't describe it. The other one is still sensitive from the PT's work last week so it wasn't too happy today.
I can only blame my (keeping my fingers crossed....) seeming success on the traditional treatment methodology most docs recommend from the start. Some rest, like, little or no exercising on your feet (there was a discussion here a couple weeks ago about what exactly rest means, some folks feel that at least some activity is necessary to keep the circulation going and to maintain a modicum of flexibility), ibuprofen, massage, stretching, strengthening and ice. I've focused on that extensively these last six or seven weeks and - it must be working. I've also been going faithfully to physical therapy where I've been getting very deep, painful massage. It hurts but I'm assuming it's doing the job. Also, I cannot give this Board too much credit for being as effective a tool as anything - it serves as a constant reinforcement.
I also began to feel that I was resting too much. First, it was driving me mentally crazy and I don't think THAT helps at all - in fact I think it hinders. Second, I began to suspect that my feet were just stiffening up too much from resting them! So I became a little more active around the house and tried to figure out a decent balance.
Finally, even after two years (many times in which I was sure there would be no end), I was able to clear some cobwebs out of the old belfrey and focus on one thing I'd heard repeatedly ...that is that 90% of PF cases DO clear up! I began to believe, in spite of my long-term hell, that I was as likely as anyone to be in that 90% so I made a commitment to those aforementioned treatments. Now only time will tell. I hope you've read Robin's post today. She'd been a long-term sufferer also and didn't really get in to extensive healing ideas. I think she focused more on nutrition but hopefully she'll see this and respond.
Good Luck, JB, you've come to the right place!

Re: Continuing Foot Problems

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 00:54 (026796)

Judy, I strongly suspect that you have not gone long enough or deep enough into the 'rest phase' of recovery.

Knowing that you are a very active person...as I am...but I'm not as active as you...it was the lengthy rest phase that did it for me. I could be totally wrong, but I suspect you need to keep off your feet for a good stretch of time. Knowing your lifestyle this would be a major change in behavior.

Whatever, keep trying what helps. Best of luck for success! BG

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 10:51 (026476)

Judy,

That sounds like real progress. It is encouraging for me to read how much more you can do. I still only see tiny progress, but just being able to wear my athletic shoes again with inserts when they were once too tight to wear (due to inflammation) feels like my first real wave of progress.

How long have you been regularly stretching?

Thanks for the encouraging story,
Beverly
PS: Although I do not aspire to ever rake leaves, I would love to be able to someday be on my feet all day for some other reason.

JudyS on 8/28/00 at 12:45 (026488)

Good Morning, Beverly!
I actually started stretching regularly about 6 months ago - but stopped when my whole 'nuther tendonitis started up. Now that I know the newer problem wasn't created by stretching, I'm back at it and have been for about a month. At first the only one I did was sitting on the floor with my feet against a wall then bending forward at the hips. Three times a day. Sometimes I add something under my toes to get more angle. Now I've added more so-called plantar stretching (I understand you can't really stretch the Plantar because it's a tendon) by just holding my toes back with my hand. Last, and you're not going to believe this, I'm doing those 'hanging off a step' stretches. Yep, I argued with my PT about it when he surprised me by encouraging that stretch. He said the non-weight-bearing stretches are perfect for what they're intended for (creating collagen?) and the weight-bearing ones are for, I think, creating proteins which then help circulation - I have many knots in my calf muscles. So I'm very careful with them - especially because my Achilles get a little sore with them (yes Nancy, I know!) but I'm doing them. BTW - I think you need to come west and experience the true joy of raking leaves all day........I still have plenty left!

BONNY on 8/28/00 at 13:22 (026495)

Did you know that Sonorex Therapy is only 535.00 in Toronto?

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 14:57 (026512)

Judy,

I started the PFT today in PT. I'm glad I'm doing it under her supervision. I would have put too much force into it left to my own devices. I can see it is tricky to get used to. It did not hurt the first time around... except that my big toe is a bit sore. I've read other people write about that. My PT said that hopefully, if my toe hurts it will just be muscle soreness since I'm not used to using my toe muscles.

Keep us posted how that hanging off the step thing goes. I've read more bad than good about that one. My PT says it's easy to hurt yourself doing it. She wants me to work up to being able to stand with my heels off a book. We tried it a few weeks ago, and it was too much for me, but perhaps later down the road. She is also eager for me to be able to do a gentle calf stretch. As you may remember, that was too much for me too.

So for the next few weeks, I'm trying out the PFT. I'm taking it slow and easy with it. I have no opinion yet since I just started using it.

It's good to see someone posting about treatment. It is interesting with the board divided up, we're not talking much about foot pain and treatment. Very few posts here.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/28/00 at 21:30 (026548)

Oh Judy! Hanging off the stair. That makes me very nervous for you . . . but I'm glad you're doing better this Monday than last.
I like your encouragement of the traditional therapies -- most of us probably don't give them enough time, or maybe don't have proper guidance in setting a course for ourselves.
I'm in the middle of basically starting over, because of the tendonitises (Watch Out for those achilles!) -- but I have a lot of hope (well, most days) because for once I now have a good doctor and the physical therapist to guide me.
It looks like I'm about ready to start more avid stretching and some strengthening.
I've just ordered Alan K's Acu-Flex -- it looks really good to me and I think it will help me, not only my legs and feet but for general overall body (and hopefully mental) well-being.
And I'll be able to post on the board(s) the WHILE using it!
I have a follow-up with the sports med. dr. tomorrow and hope to learn that it's time to lose the walking cast and get moving (slowly and gently, of course).
Nancy

Bob G. on 8/29/00 at 01:22 (026576)

Well, I am having great success with the FootFlex.

Back when I was just barely recovering, with some pain, but mostly not, the FootFlex catipulted me ahead.

I now use the FootFlex dozens of times a day. It only takes a few seconds each time and is sooo easy.

It is much more efficient and effective than the traditional wall stretches. BG

Terry on 8/29/00 at 09:58 (026592)

Bob G. - I am glad you are having success witht the Foot Flex. I am finally seeing serious improvement also. About the Foot Flex, does the ball of your foot stay flat or is the toe pulled back? It is hard to tell by the picture. Apparently there is something to pulling back the toe, something about a windlass. Maybe Dr. Z could explain that. Thanks, Terry

Judy B on 8/30/00 at 13:54 (026748)

Hey Jude...Sounds like I'm where you were a year ago. I can't stand in one spot for more than a minute or so....encouraging to know that there may be light at the end of the tunnel! Could you explain to me your exercise regime back then and how you progressed it....do you wear orthotics now?

Re: FootFlex question

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 00:09 (026791)

Hi, Terry!

That is a good question. Here is my response: I think it's just the toe and not the ball, BUT, I do not use it barefoot. I always use it while wearing my most foot-friendly shoes (New Balance 877s) and do gentle stretches. Many gentle brief stretches while wearing shoes that cradle and support my foot while it's doing FootFlex gentle stretches.

This really works well for me. Hope so for you, too. Best of luck to you, Terry! BG

Re: Judy2

JudyS on 8/31/00 at 00:29 (026792)

Judy - first, thank you for your graciousness in altering your Board 'name', it would have been simple enough for me to do the same and I really appreciate it...what's 'B'?
I didn't have an exercise regime a year ago-which is most likely why I still have PF. I might have done a few wall stretches and taken a few ibuprofen, as my doc said to, but even in the height of pain I ignored it and expected it to magically go away. I wish my doc would've shaken me and told me how chronic this could become.
I've been through 4 sets of orthotics starting with a generic set given me by my Pod. I graduated to 3 'custom', the first two being too rigid for me. This last pair that I have is on again off again. Sometimes it seems like they cause aching, sometimes they don't bother me. But I continue to try them because I know my high arches need something! Where I really run in to problems regarding inserts is when I want to wear different shoes. They don't fit the same in each pair and switching them is a pain! And of course, there's that whole 'breaking in' thing - like it's so easy to remember to stop what you're doing and switch your shoes or their inserts!
By the way, I just bought a pair of Reebok walking shoes that have a very nice arch in them so I don't put the orthotics in them
Last, I'm VERY happy to report that one of my feet had NO heel pain today! And I was on my feet just about all day. I'm so amazed I can't describe it. The other one is still sensitive from the PT's work last week so it wasn't too happy today.
I can only blame my (keeping my fingers crossed....) seeming success on the traditional treatment methodology most docs recommend from the start. Some rest, like, little or no exercising on your feet (there was a discussion here a couple weeks ago about what exactly rest means, some folks feel that at least some activity is necessary to keep the circulation going and to maintain a modicum of flexibility), ibuprofen, massage, stretching, strengthening and ice. I've focused on that extensively these last six or seven weeks and - it must be working. I've also been going faithfully to physical therapy where I've been getting very deep, painful massage. It hurts but I'm assuming it's doing the job. Also, I cannot give this Board too much credit for being as effective a tool as anything - it serves as a constant reinforcement.
I also began to feel that I was resting too much. First, it was driving me mentally crazy and I don't think THAT helps at all - in fact I think it hinders. Second, I began to suspect that my feet were just stiffening up too much from resting them! So I became a little more active around the house and tried to figure out a decent balance.
Finally, even after two years (many times in which I was sure there would be no end), I was able to clear some cobwebs out of the old belfrey and focus on one thing I'd heard repeatedly ...that is that 90% of PF cases DO clear up! I began to believe, in spite of my long-term hell, that I was as likely as anyone to be in that 90% so I made a commitment to those aforementioned treatments. Now only time will tell. I hope you've read Robin's post today. She'd been a long-term sufferer also and didn't really get in to extensive healing ideas. I think she focused more on nutrition but hopefully she'll see this and respond.
Good Luck, JB, you've come to the right place!

Re: Continuing Foot Problems

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 00:54 (026796)

Judy, I strongly suspect that you have not gone long enough or deep enough into the 'rest phase' of recovery.

Knowing that you are a very active person...as I am...but I'm not as active as you...it was the lengthy rest phase that did it for me. I could be totally wrong, but I suspect you need to keep off your feet for a good stretch of time. Knowing your lifestyle this would be a major change in behavior.

Whatever, keep trying what helps. Best of luck for success! BG