Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretching

Posted by judy s on 8/28/00 at 13:53 (026501)

AFTER BEING IN BOOT CASTS FOR 9 WEEKS, IS IT NORMAL TO HAVE A RAW/BURNING TINGLY FEELING AFTER STRETCHING (FOOT DORSI/PLANTAR FLEXION, TOE CIRCLES, HAMSTRING STRETCH. I AM NOT DOING WALL STRETCHING FOR FEAR THAT I WILL REINJURE MY FEET)? DOES THIS MEAN I AM STRETCHING TOO MUCH? AM I BREAKING UP SCAR TISSUE.....IF SO IS THIS GOOD OR BAD? I HAVE THIS FEELING MUCH OF THE TIME, ESPECIALLY IF I AM ON MY FEET...NOT AS MUCH WHEN I'M NOT STANDING.

Re: stretching

JudyS on 8/28/00 at 14:07 (026505)

Hi Judy S - I'm the other JudyS! What Nancy meant was, is it possible to alter your second initial - perhaps use your middle initial? Or, I guess I could just as easily! About using all capital letters in a message - it's a little tough on the eyesight.
I was thinking that your feet sound like mine with the general soreness after standing for awhile. However, I did have heel pain in the morning when I first had PF - I don't necessarily anymore because I warm them up quite a bit before I get up. But I do still get heel pain and aching arches after standing for awhile - is that what you have? My doc told me that the 'after-standing' pain is more from a need to get the muscles stronger. Dr. B, does that make sense to you?

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 14:09 (026507)

When wearing a cast you have to be very careful not to be putting pressure on the common peronial nerve. When a cast comes off after nine weeks you have to be very carefull not to injure yourself. The muscles and tendons have started to atrophy and can be very delicate. Take it real easy with streches and exercise. Don't over do it. This is a time when a lot of injuries can happen. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 14:11 (026508)

Strong muscles can help all kinds of problems. Dr. Biehler

alan k on 8/28/00 at 15:06 (026514)

Where is the 'raw' feeling?

Raw in how I use the word (we never can know how other people feel exactly) comes from nerve pain.

You should take it very, very slowly and perhaps consider your suspicion that you might be progressing too fast.

Eventually you are going to need to do vigorous foot exercises but perhaps you should ease off a bit and try doing less per session, but more sessions: i.e. spread exercise and stretching out over the day.

Vitamin B6 in about 100 mg a day is good for nerves for about three weeks. Consult a physician about taking more B6 or for longer.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Judy B (formerly the second Judy S) on 8/30/00 at 12:20 (026737)

Thanks Alan. The raw feeling is in the arch and especially at the front of the heel. I have used B6 in the past, maybe I should start it again.

Judy B (formerly the second Judy S) on 8/30/00 at 12:33 (026738)

For strenghtening I am doing 10 reps of pushing my big toe into the floor daily. I've also read that picking up marbles with your toes works. Are these OK to do. For stretching I am doing 10 reps toe circles and plantar/dorsi flexion 3X/day. I stretch till I feel a pull and hold x 5 sec. Is this too much? Do you think this raw feeling is from reinjury or breaking up of scar tissue. Does scar tissue need to be broken up in order to be able to stretch out and heal? (I thought I read somewhere that scar tissue does not stretch). This is soooo frustrating not knowing if what you're trying to do is helping or just hurting your feet more! Thanks so much for your input.

JudyS on 8/28/00 at 14:07 (026505)

Hi Judy S - I'm the other JudyS! What Nancy meant was, is it possible to alter your second initial - perhaps use your middle initial? Or, I guess I could just as easily! About using all capital letters in a message - it's a little tough on the eyesight.
I was thinking that your feet sound like mine with the general soreness after standing for awhile. However, I did have heel pain in the morning when I first had PF - I don't necessarily anymore because I warm them up quite a bit before I get up. But I do still get heel pain and aching arches after standing for awhile - is that what you have? My doc told me that the 'after-standing' pain is more from a need to get the muscles stronger. Dr. B, does that make sense to you?

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 14:09 (026507)

When wearing a cast you have to be very careful not to be putting pressure on the common peronial nerve. When a cast comes off after nine weeks you have to be very carefull not to injure yourself. The muscles and tendons have started to atrophy and can be very delicate. Take it real easy with streches and exercise. Don't over do it. This is a time when a lot of injuries can happen. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 14:11 (026508)

Strong muscles can help all kinds of problems. Dr. Biehler

alan k on 8/28/00 at 15:06 (026514)

Where is the 'raw' feeling?

Raw in how I use the word (we never can know how other people feel exactly) comes from nerve pain.

You should take it very, very slowly and perhaps consider your suspicion that you might be progressing too fast.

Eventually you are going to need to do vigorous foot exercises but perhaps you should ease off a bit and try doing less per session, but more sessions: i.e. spread exercise and stretching out over the day.

Vitamin B6 in about 100 mg a day is good for nerves for about three weeks. Consult a physician about taking more B6 or for longer.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Judy B (formerly the second Judy S) on 8/30/00 at 12:20 (026737)

Thanks Alan. The raw feeling is in the arch and especially at the front of the heel. I have used B6 in the past, maybe I should start it again.

Judy B (formerly the second Judy S) on 8/30/00 at 12:33 (026738)

For strenghtening I am doing 10 reps of pushing my big toe into the floor daily. I've also read that picking up marbles with your toes works. Are these OK to do. For stretching I am doing 10 reps toe circles and plantar/dorsi flexion 3X/day. I stretch till I feel a pull and hold x 5 sec. Is this too much? Do you think this raw feeling is from reinjury or breaking up of scar tissue. Does scar tissue need to be broken up in order to be able to stretch out and heal? (I thought I read somewhere that scar tissue does not stretch). This is soooo frustrating not knowing if what you're trying to do is helping or just hurting your feet more! Thanks so much for your input.