Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pop goes the tendon !!!

Posted by Barbara on 8/28/00 at 19:49 (026538)

When I first started with this PF nightmare in March, I tried stretching. I overdid it and popped a plantarus tendon on the lateral side of my left ankle. My Ortho told me to take it easy and it would resolve itself, which it did in a week. Everything has been status quo with it since then until two days ago. I overdid the stretching again and it popped again. I didn't go back to the doctor, just iced and babied it. It feels better again...but is this going to be an on again off again thing? Has the tendon been compromised or weakened? In March ,my Ortho told me that that tendon really has little to do with the function of the foot, but when it pops, it hurts. He told me not to worry. But, now I am.

Re: Pop goes the tendon !!!

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 19:56 (026540)

Once a tendon is poped, it is probably looser than it should be. Stenghteningn the muscles around the area usually helps. Dr.Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/00 at 21:01 (026545)

The plantaris tendon can rupture and be very painful. The function isn't that important, so long as the achilles tendon is strong and flexible. I would have an mri to make sure that it is only the plantaris tendon.

Dr. Biehler on 8/28/00 at 19:56 (026540)

Once a tendon is poped, it is probably looser than it should be. Stenghteningn the muscles around the area usually helps. Dr.Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/00 at 21:01 (026545)

The plantaris tendon can rupture and be very painful. The function isn't that important, so long as the achilles tendon is strong and flexible. I would have an mri to make sure that it is only the plantaris tendon.