Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When all else fails there is always the power of prayer!.

Posted by Pauline on 8/28/00 at 20:47 (026542)

First of all I hope I am posting on the correct board, if not I appologize. This is my true story. A friend of mine has been after me for several months to go with her to a healing service at St Bonaventure Church, the home church of Father Solanus Casey. My friend is truely a spiritual person whom I admire greatly. I kept putting her off but last Wednesday I decided to go with her to the church. I must mention here, that Father Solanus Casey is well on his way to become a Saint in the Catholic Church. St Bonaventure is in the process of renovating their buildings for the new museum and making space for millions of expected visitors. Back to my story.

I was late in picking up Delora, but we hurried away to the church. After parking the car we walked briskly toward the church and as we approach we were greeted by one of the Monks. Without saying anything he immediately put his arms around me and began to pray. Delora told him that I was having problems with my feet and he knelt down and touched each foot praying over them. Afterward he hugged Delora and also prayed over her. We hurried and entered the church. Inside Delora asked me if I wanted to go to confession and I said no---but found she had seated us in the row of seats leading up to the confessional. I gave in and decided maybe I needed more than one type of healing. The service was wonderful. Again we were blessed and annointed with oil. Afterward I visited the tomb of Father Solanus, then left the church. On our way out Delora turned to me and said the Monk outside was truely a holy man and that my feet would improve after the weekend was over.

I didn't know whether I should post this or not because I didn't want you to think I am one of those religious nuts. I really put off this church visit for several months. I hate the neighborhood and just didn't want to take the time to go with anyone--let alone with Delora the most religious person I know. A miracle, I don't know I can only tell you the pain I experienced today was from the orthotics I put in my shoes. The jello like substance is gone and things are looking a lot brighter. I've gone to Father Solanus Casey for other favors in the past because I believe in the healing that he has given to others. If only I had Delora's faith what results might I expect. My suggestion--if you know about Father Solanus Casey give him a try. It can't hurt and in my case it certainly has helped.

I return to the Dr. on Wed for ultrasound results. I was expecting
to be put into a cast. Seems like Father Solanus Casey had other plans. Thanks Father Solanus.

Re: When all else fails there is always the power of prayer!.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/00 at 21:11 (026547)

Healing is very spirtual and can be effective. Of course I am not a spirtual healer but it is and should be a part of medicine.

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 22:31 (026559)

Pauline,

That is a wonderful testimony.

I truely believe in the power of prayer. I have seen it do remarkable things in people's lives.

You are not a religious nut to tell that story. Most of the time, people are shy about talking about their spiritual experiences.

My church has been a pivatol part of my life for many, many years.
I especially like healing services. Although in my adult life I am a Protestant, I was raised Catholic. I especially like services at the cloistered orders for the Sisters. They usually have at least an early morning service open to the public. The ones I have visited have a mystical/other world like aura.

I hope you go back to Mass with your friend.

Beverly

David S. on 8/29/00 at 08:20 (026582)

Great testimony! I enjoy hearing about how God helps people. There sure is power in prayer. Do not be suprised if you get some 'hate' mail about this. There are some here that get offended when you mix religious beliefs with healthcare. Do not let that bother you though, God made physicians and medical treatments too. :-)

Dave

Pauline on 8/29/00 at 08:37 (026584)

I never wrote this posting with any specific expectation in mind. I simply told my story. I'm far from being a 'religious' person. If only my belief was as large as a mustard seed. I can't stop hate mail, but I can prepare for it. My trouble can is always open and ready to accept the hurts, disappointments and other painful realities of life.

wendyn on 8/29/00 at 08:53 (026585)

I would hope you don't get hate mail from your post. This seems to be a very tolerant board (for the most part) and I think we are all welcome to sharing our own thoughts and experiences without attacking others.

Speaking of the power of prayer and spiritual healing...remember that it can come in many forms. The book I was reading last night had this analogy...

A man's boat sinks in the lake and he's left fighting for his life..he says to himself that he will pray that God will save him. Soon, a boat comes along and the captain tries to help him climb aboard. The drowning man refuses saying that he's waiting for God to save him. This happens a second, and then a third time - with three different boats attempting to rescue the man.

Eventually the man drowns and he meets God in heaven. He angrily demands to know why God didn't save him. God asked 'How many boats did you want me to send you?'

Sometimes answers can come in the form of a doctor or a pill - but they are still answers.

john a on 8/30/00 at 06:57 (026712)

And lets all not forget that God made PF too, the inconsiderate bungler! ;-)

David S. on 8/30/00 at 07:44 (026717)

Romans 8:28 :-)

Barbara S. on 8/30/00 at 14:18 (026751)

I am a Catholic as well, and I find comfort when I pray to the Blessed Mother (to be a good mother despite pain and uncertainty). I have prayed for a miracle as well, and I know that they are possible - I recall the scripture story about a month ago about the woman with the hemmorage who, over the course of 12 years, had 'spent all that she had on doctors to no avail.' How I feel her desperation! She weas healed instantly. But, I think that most 'cures' are in the natural realm when we trust God to lead us from one place to another - to good doctors and to the support of one another. Most comforting is the fact that God always brings good out of evil - GREATER good than there was before. I trust in that promise. I know that it must be according to God's timetable and not my own, but it is so hard to wait for healing...

I must say I never did know a person to grow spiritually without undergoing suffering. That's just the way the world works. No pain, no gain. Whenever I look above my bed at my crucifix, I see that nasty spike through the feet of Our Lord, and I think to myself that he's been there, and so much more. He walked a mile in my shoes for sure.

P.S. Is there a patron saint of feet? Or heelspurs? Ha!

Re: Not feet,but how about St. Jude, patron saint of impossible/lost causes

Beverly on 8/30/00 at 19:59 (026779)

I don't think even Catholics have a patron St. of feet. Too bad...
But how about St. Jude? He is the patron St. of impossible/lost causes?

Beverly

Terry on 8/30/00 at 20:13 (026780)

No Patron Saint of Feet, I checked. The closest I could find was a Patron Saint of Sickness, but you are probably closer with St. Jude and lost causes. Terry

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/00 at 21:11 (026547)

Healing is very spirtual and can be effective. Of course I am not a spirtual healer but it is and should be a part of medicine.

Beverly on 8/28/00 at 22:31 (026559)

Pauline,

That is a wonderful testimony.

I truely believe in the power of prayer. I have seen it do remarkable things in people's lives.

You are not a religious nut to tell that story. Most of the time, people are shy about talking about their spiritual experiences.

My church has been a pivatol part of my life for many, many years.
I especially like healing services. Although in my adult life I am a Protestant, I was raised Catholic. I especially like services at the cloistered orders for the Sisters. They usually have at least an early morning service open to the public. The ones I have visited have a mystical/other world like aura.

I hope you go back to Mass with your friend.

Beverly

David S. on 8/29/00 at 08:20 (026582)

Great testimony! I enjoy hearing about how God helps people. There sure is power in prayer. Do not be suprised if you get some 'hate' mail about this. There are some here that get offended when you mix religious beliefs with healthcare. Do not let that bother you though, God made physicians and medical treatments too. :-)

Dave

Pauline on 8/29/00 at 08:37 (026584)

I never wrote this posting with any specific expectation in mind. I simply told my story. I'm far from being a 'religious' person. If only my belief was as large as a mustard seed. I can't stop hate mail, but I can prepare for it. My trouble can is always open and ready to accept the hurts, disappointments and other painful realities of life.

wendyn on 8/29/00 at 08:53 (026585)

I would hope you don't get hate mail from your post. This seems to be a very tolerant board (for the most part) and I think we are all welcome to sharing our own thoughts and experiences without attacking others.

Speaking of the power of prayer and spiritual healing...remember that it can come in many forms. The book I was reading last night had this analogy...

A man's boat sinks in the lake and he's left fighting for his life..he says to himself that he will pray that God will save him. Soon, a boat comes along and the captain tries to help him climb aboard. The drowning man refuses saying that he's waiting for God to save him. This happens a second, and then a third time - with three different boats attempting to rescue the man.

Eventually the man drowns and he meets God in heaven. He angrily demands to know why God didn't save him. God asked 'How many boats did you want me to send you?'

Sometimes answers can come in the form of a doctor or a pill - but they are still answers.

john a on 8/30/00 at 06:57 (026712)

And lets all not forget that God made PF too, the inconsiderate bungler! ;-)

David S. on 8/30/00 at 07:44 (026717)

Romans 8:28 :-)

Barbara S. on 8/30/00 at 14:18 (026751)

I am a Catholic as well, and I find comfort when I pray to the Blessed Mother (to be a good mother despite pain and uncertainty). I have prayed for a miracle as well, and I know that they are possible - I recall the scripture story about a month ago about the woman with the hemmorage who, over the course of 12 years, had 'spent all that she had on doctors to no avail.' How I feel her desperation! She weas healed instantly. But, I think that most 'cures' are in the natural realm when we trust God to lead us from one place to another - to good doctors and to the support of one another. Most comforting is the fact that God always brings good out of evil - GREATER good than there was before. I trust in that promise. I know that it must be according to God's timetable and not my own, but it is so hard to wait for healing...

I must say I never did know a person to grow spiritually without undergoing suffering. That's just the way the world works. No pain, no gain. Whenever I look above my bed at my crucifix, I see that nasty spike through the feet of Our Lord, and I think to myself that he's been there, and so much more. He walked a mile in my shoes for sure.

P.S. Is there a patron saint of feet? Or heelspurs? Ha!

Beverly on 8/30/00 at 19:59 (026779)

I don't think even Catholics have a patron St. of feet. Too bad...
But how about St. Jude? He is the patron St. of impossible/lost causes?

Beverly

Terry on 8/30/00 at 20:13 (026780)

No Patron Saint of Feet, I checked. The closest I could find was a Patron Saint of Sickness, but you are probably closer with St. Jude and lost causes. Terry