Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Board format

Posted by JudyS on 8/29/00 at 10:45 (026601)

You know, I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I've had no trouble at all with this new format - I wonder if it's because I use the 'View All.....' nearly exclusively. If I want to post something new, I just make the best selection I can for it's category. I really doubt that Scott is all that rigid about subject matter 'overflowing' in to other categories. It would be nearly impossible to regulate our thoughts that tightly. Would it be safe to say that the categories are a general reference tool for the occasional surfer? While it's true that someone may miss the occasional informative post, the fact is that there are hundreds of posts that are repetative so plenty of information on certain topics is always available in its category. Plus, if a 'surfer' doesn't see something in the category they're exploring, they can always post a question or two.
A year or two ago we had to put our 14-year-old kitty to sleep. I later mentioned to my husband that her only responsibility in life was to make us feel good - which she did a fine job at. The point here? All Scott's guilty of is giving US something that we enjoy - for free! I see this vehicle as one more good tool in my PF self-treatment. He has a right to tweak it for any reason - seems like usually the reason is to make it more Web-sophisticated and easier for newbies to surf. And maybe he sort of has to remind us occasionally to stay on topic. He's done us 'regulars' a huge favor by introducing the category for social interaction.

Re: Board format

Nancy S. on 8/29/00 at 15:46 (026629)

Judy: Whatever! Maybe you have a very high-tech computer system? If it's just me and webtv, I'll shut up. I don't seem to be the only one having some difficulty, though, and as in the past when Scott has made changes, I and most others have worked with them -- but part of the 'working with them' is letting him know when we have a problem with it and what the bugs are. It's the only way he can fine-tune it or know if it's working for people or not. I'm sure I don't need to repeat or defend in some way my gratitude to Scott -- it's never been anything but 100%, as I've posted and emailed to him many times.
For me, the new configuration is not hard to understand. The hard part is getting around: I always use the 'view all messages since last visit.' So I see everything -- but now I can't always respond easily. I get to respond once from that list, and then the list is gone forever. If I want to respond to more than one new message, I now have to go to different message boards trying to find those other posts, or I have to take notes manually while I'm reading the 'view all . . .' so I'll know where to go to respond. None of this is the end of the world -- but it IS more frustrating and time-consuming.
Someone named 'cat,' a newcomer, made a post earlier that I wanted to respond to; I saw it in the 'view all messages since last visit' list. I've looked on every board. I can't find it.
I don't think the overlap is the end of the world, either. But I do find it confusing, and I do think some information is going to get lost to some people because of it.
So for me personally, at this point, the change in design is a step backward. I simply think Scott might want to know this. If I'm the only one, then I'll back off, but I don't think I should just sit here and not give the feedback.
I will post now about a dr. visit today. It will probably have info. that belongs on two boards, but I'll probably put it on the social/support board, where most of the action seems to be!
Nancy

JudyS on 8/29/00 at 16:07 (026632)

Hey - this is an experiment. I know that when I want to respond to a post that I find via the 'View All...', I get a new 'window' to write the response in. Once my response is posted, the 'new' window reverts to the main index - not back to the original View All...stuff that I initially opened - but I can close that new window and find the original 'View All....' messages still behind it. Can you do that?
I'm experimenting with it with this note.

Nancy S. on 8/29/00 at 17:17 (026644)

Judy, no, I can't do that. (Tried a million times.) Once I've responded to one post from 'view all,' I can't get the 'view all' back. It's gone for good.
This wasn't a big probem before -- I'd just go to the one board and quickly find the other posts I wanted to reply to.
After the initial design change, I could go to 'View all messages on all boards in one index' (it was called something like that) and find the posts I wanted to answer, just like before.
Now that that 'all messages from all boards' index is gone, I don't have any one place to go and try to find the posts. I have to peruse each board -- or write down in the first place what I wanted to answer.
Nancy

JudyS on 8/29/00 at 18:37 (026651)

I'm guessing then that the 'window' format is enabled by the Windows operating system which, I'm guessing also, is not a part of WebTV. So I wonder where that leaves Mac users? Macs have a 'window'-like OS, don't they? You're right, the characteristics of different systems needs to be considered with these changes. I had no idea that each would be affected differently.

Bob G. on 8/29/00 at 22:39 (026692)

I am with Nancy. Ditto the above all the way including kuddos to Scott. I am lost after I make one post. BG

Nancy S. on 8/29/00 at 15:46 (026629)

Judy: Whatever! Maybe you have a very high-tech computer system? If it's just me and webtv, I'll shut up. I don't seem to be the only one having some difficulty, though, and as in the past when Scott has made changes, I and most others have worked with them -- but part of the 'working with them' is letting him know when we have a problem with it and what the bugs are. It's the only way he can fine-tune it or know if it's working for people or not. I'm sure I don't need to repeat or defend in some way my gratitude to Scott -- it's never been anything but 100%, as I've posted and emailed to him many times.
For me, the new configuration is not hard to understand. The hard part is getting around: I always use the 'view all messages since last visit.' So I see everything -- but now I can't always respond easily. I get to respond once from that list, and then the list is gone forever. If I want to respond to more than one new message, I now have to go to different message boards trying to find those other posts, or I have to take notes manually while I'm reading the 'view all . . .' so I'll know where to go to respond. None of this is the end of the world -- but it IS more frustrating and time-consuming.
Someone named 'cat,' a newcomer, made a post earlier that I wanted to respond to; I saw it in the 'view all messages since last visit' list. I've looked on every board. I can't find it.
I don't think the overlap is the end of the world, either. But I do find it confusing, and I do think some information is going to get lost to some people because of it.
So for me personally, at this point, the change in design is a step backward. I simply think Scott might want to know this. If I'm the only one, then I'll back off, but I don't think I should just sit here and not give the feedback.
I will post now about a dr. visit today. It will probably have info. that belongs on two boards, but I'll probably put it on the social/support board, where most of the action seems to be!
Nancy

JudyS on 8/29/00 at 16:07 (026632)

Hey - this is an experiment. I know that when I want to respond to a post that I find via the 'View All...', I get a new 'window' to write the response in. Once my response is posted, the 'new' window reverts to the main index - not back to the original View All...stuff that I initially opened - but I can close that new window and find the original 'View All....' messages still behind it. Can you do that?
I'm experimenting with it with this note.

Nancy S. on 8/29/00 at 17:17 (026644)

Judy, no, I can't do that. (Tried a million times.) Once I've responded to one post from 'view all,' I can't get the 'view all' back. It's gone for good.
This wasn't a big probem before -- I'd just go to the one board and quickly find the other posts I wanted to reply to.
After the initial design change, I could go to 'View all messages on all boards in one index' (it was called something like that) and find the posts I wanted to answer, just like before.
Now that that 'all messages from all boards' index is gone, I don't have any one place to go and try to find the posts. I have to peruse each board -- or write down in the first place what I wanted to answer.
Nancy

JudyS on 8/29/00 at 18:37 (026651)

I'm guessing then that the 'window' format is enabled by the Windows operating system which, I'm guessing also, is not a part of WebTV. So I wonder where that leaves Mac users? Macs have a 'window'-like OS, don't they? You're right, the characteristics of different systems needs to be considered with these changes. I had no idea that each would be affected differently.

Bob G. on 8/29/00 at 22:39 (026692)

I am with Nancy. Ditto the above all the way including kuddos to Scott. I am lost after I make one post. BG