Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Posted by Sharie on 8/29/00 at 14:28 (026619)

Hello Dr. Zuckerman, As the title says, I am six almost 7 weeks post- op from a scopic release of my right foot. I really like my doctor, and feel he is sympathetic to my condition. However, I am experiencing such transient pain, it hurts one place one time, another place another time. I have been advised that if I feel no pain to walk lightly even try a shoe, if it hurts, stop, rest. I take celebrex for a shoulder problem, and for real pain in my foot, I take vicodin. Usually two to four a day. When there is no pain I don't take anything. This pain is sometimes as if an electric poker has been inserted in my heel, arch area, and on ball of my foot. I am so discouraged at this point and I am having depression. Feelings of gloom. I am on an antidepressant (for a long time now). I am going to blame the depression on the chronic pain. The few times I have felt little pain and walked on my foot full weight, I have paid for it that night, or the next day. I just don't know where to go next... I have full confidence in my doctor. He is caring, and patient with me. But I fear becoming a total 'pain in the.... uhm, butt'!! Besides the foot pain, I have sometimes severe pain in my shoulder... had a torn rotator cuff (non-injury) operation a couple of years ago on the right, now the left is feeling the same. I am having numbness in my right hand, thumb, and tingling of the thumb and forefinger and wrist/hand pain. I have had bilateral carpal tunnel releases done in the past... this feels like a recurrance. Doggone it all, I am falling apart... wah wah... I am not one to complain but this foot thing has turned me into the monster I hoped never to become. Help.

Sharie

Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Dr. Biehler on 8/29/00 at 14:58 (026624)

A patient should never worry about becoming a pain in their Doctors ..um..butt when they are experiancing pain.

Re: Dr. B. Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Sharie on 8/29/00 at 15:52 (026631)

I agree, perhaps I am feeling more a pain in the bootie to myself. My usual work is being a crisis interventionist, helping others in a crisis.... I suck at helping myself or accepting this long long long term pain stuff. Had PF for almost two years before seeing about it. Doggone tired of it all. My usual upbeat, and positive way of thinking has been de-spirited.

Thank you for your encouragement...
ps. my husband is wayyy better about all this than I am... he has been my PF angel... I think to myself.. quit complaining, you have it so good.. uh huhh, tell my spirit that one!

Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/29/00 at 20:38 (026674)

The pain here the pain there can happen with any release. I would place you in a boot cast, vioxx 25mgs. daily. Some physical therapy or whirlpool at home. In addition vicodan or vicrophen for the pain.
He has got to jump on this now. The boot cast is the way to go for this type of post-op healing. So you wear the boot cast until no pain which could be two weeks. Then you back off let's say for half day with the boot and the other half without. or wear the boot if you are on your feet. alot. Very important to rest this foot or it will take six months or more to get better.

Re: DR. Z. Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 00:57 (026702)

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. When you say 'boot cast' ... that is different from the post op walking boot? I have this little blue boot with two velcro straps that is no bigger than a large shoe... is that what you mean? This is what I keep on all the time. I asked about PT but my doc says he didn't feel I needed it... I feel that is what I need, I will ask him again, it was before the surgery I mentioned it.

Sharie

Re: DR. Z. Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

DR. Zuckerman on 8/30/00 at 02:45 (026703)

This isn't the post-op Shoe. This looks like a skiing boot. Much more support and reduces the weight on the heel .

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 13:31 (026744)

Dr. Zuckerman... Thank you for your input, I feel a tad embarrassed that I initially wrote my cry baby post to you including all my other complaints.. that was inappropriate.. At first I felt I could handle this with my usual upbeat attitude, even writing humor into my postings about the initial experience of the surgery. Chronic pain is one heck of a journey I am finding out. Having had pain for the last two years I was really putting a lot of faith in the surgery to take care of this. In reading all the other posts I realize that everyone is trying their best along with the help of people like you, and Dr. B., to cope and heal, each in their own way and time frame.

The boot you mentioned will be mentioned to my doctor next week when I see him. He is very supportive of this message board, as I share it with him.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Hugs
Sharie

Re: Dr. Zuckerman, please note

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 17:12 (026766)

Hello again, I called my doc today, I wasn't sure how to suggest what you had said in the way of a boot cast, but just told him I was still having so much pain, and how about a boot cast... he said 'excellent idea I was about to suggest we do that'. I didn't have to mention I had talked to another doctor : ) That was going to be kind of hard for me as he is such a caring doctor/person. I didn't want to mess with his ego and his way of doing things. I REALLY appreciate your feedback... We all have so much to learn from each other.

Thanks again
Sharie

Dr. Biehler on 8/29/00 at 14:58 (026624)

A patient should never worry about becoming a pain in their Doctors ..um..butt when they are experiancing pain.

Re: Dr. B. Re: Six weeks post PF release (scopic) and pain is transient.... depressed, tired of it all...

Sharie on 8/29/00 at 15:52 (026631)

I agree, perhaps I am feeling more a pain in the bootie to myself. My usual work is being a crisis interventionist, helping others in a crisis.... I suck at helping myself or accepting this long long long term pain stuff. Had PF for almost two years before seeing about it. Doggone tired of it all. My usual upbeat, and positive way of thinking has been de-spirited.

Thank you for your encouragement...
ps. my husband is wayyy better about all this than I am... he has been my PF angel... I think to myself.. quit complaining, you have it so good.. uh huhh, tell my spirit that one!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/29/00 at 20:38 (026674)

The pain here the pain there can happen with any release. I would place you in a boot cast, vioxx 25mgs. daily. Some physical therapy or whirlpool at home. In addition vicodan or vicrophen for the pain.
He has got to jump on this now. The boot cast is the way to go for this type of post-op healing. So you wear the boot cast until no pain which could be two weeks. Then you back off let's say for half day with the boot and the other half without. or wear the boot if you are on your feet. alot. Very important to rest this foot or it will take six months or more to get better.

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 00:57 (026702)

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. When you say 'boot cast' ... that is different from the post op walking boot? I have this little blue boot with two velcro straps that is no bigger than a large shoe... is that what you mean? This is what I keep on all the time. I asked about PT but my doc says he didn't feel I needed it... I feel that is what I need, I will ask him again, it was before the surgery I mentioned it.

Sharie

DR. Zuckerman on 8/30/00 at 02:45 (026703)

This isn't the post-op Shoe. This looks like a skiing boot. Much more support and reduces the weight on the heel .

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 13:31 (026744)

Dr. Zuckerman... Thank you for your input, I feel a tad embarrassed that I initially wrote my cry baby post to you including all my other complaints.. that was inappropriate.. At first I felt I could handle this with my usual upbeat attitude, even writing humor into my postings about the initial experience of the surgery. Chronic pain is one heck of a journey I am finding out. Having had pain for the last two years I was really putting a lot of faith in the surgery to take care of this. In reading all the other posts I realize that everyone is trying their best along with the help of people like you, and Dr. B., to cope and heal, each in their own way and time frame.

The boot you mentioned will be mentioned to my doctor next week when I see him. He is very supportive of this message board, as I share it with him.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Hugs
Sharie

Re: Dr. Zuckerman, please note

Sharie on 8/30/00 at 17:12 (026766)

Hello again, I called my doc today, I wasn't sure how to suggest what you had said in the way of a boot cast, but just told him I was still having so much pain, and how about a boot cast... he said 'excellent idea I was about to suggest we do that'. I didn't have to mention I had talked to another doctor : ) That was going to be kind of hard for me as he is such a caring doctor/person. I didn't want to mess with his ego and his way of doing things. I REALLY appreciate your feedback... We all have so much to learn from each other.

Thanks again
Sharie