Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Question about my surgery..of course!

Posted by Pat M. on 8/29/00 at 20:22 (026667)

Just for general information my calf is no longer sore at all. That scare is over and done with. Thank God and everyone else who helped me with that.
My new question is: I know that the soreness in my foot is not going to go away imediately. I am having no arch pain at all. (Good for me I think). There is some tenderness where the sutures were. However, I am experiencing the same pain way in the back of my heel. Almost at the very end of my foot. (Sorry, I don't know the technical terms.) The PF type pain is not there. Is there a possibility of a fracture at the back part of my heal. (Well of course there is always a possibility. DUH!) What I mean is...should I check this out with the doc when I go back. Does it sound like something else. That particular pain is not there when I am wearing my Nikes until around noon and then it gets almost unbearable. I guess because of the support. Dr.s do you have any suggestions as to what I might do, or what I might ask my Doc when I see him again. That will be three weeks.
I haven't done the squeeze test. Not sure that that is a good idea at this point of my recovery.
Thanks again for your immediate response to my calf problem Dr.Z. I think that showed what a caring Dr. you are.
Oh yes, one more thing, I have taken Vicodin for three weeks. Only at night for the last 9 or 10 days. I am out. Do you think it wise to ask for a refill. My pain level increases at night, of course.
Pat M.

Re: New Question about my surgery..of course!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/29/00 at 20:30 (026671)

When you have a tight achilles tendon the same type of pain that you had with pf will be at the back of your heel due to achilles tendonitis. Vicodan is good I like vicrophen or vicodan ES. May help with the pain better. Vicodan ES is a stronger version of vicodan . Not unusal to have to take this type of medication for a thirty to sixty period. Point this problem out to your doc. He should be taking you thru the healing process and pointing out what is going to happen next. I like to tell the patient what is going to happen before it does so that the fear level is removed. You are going to have this achilles pain maybe up six months. Should start to see some relief within the next three to six weeks.

Re: New Question about my surgery..of course!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/29/00 at 20:30 (026671)

When you have a tight achilles tendon the same type of pain that you had with pf will be at the back of your heel due to achilles tendonitis. Vicodan is good I like vicrophen or vicodan ES. May help with the pain better. Vicodan ES is a stronger version of vicodan . Not unusal to have to take this type of medication for a thirty to sixty period. Point this problem out to your doc. He should be taking you thru the healing process and pointing out what is going to happen next. I like to tell the patient what is going to happen before it does so that the fear level is removed. You are going to have this achilles pain maybe up six months. Should start to see some relief within the next three to six weeks.