Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hot foot

Posted by Lori E. on 8/29/00 at 21:32 (026680)

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I do my biking, my left foot gets very hot after biking for about 10 min. I have been trying to bike for 30 min. a day to get my circulation going, but I don't know if I should be biking thru this or not. Any suggestions?
I also have a bit of twinging pain after about 20 min. on the bike, but I feel as if I should do the full 30 min. to keep my weight down. I still have about 30 lbs. to loose and I have plateaued after loosing 20. Any advice or comments are appreciated.
I am sure to ice my feet afterwards and then they usually feel okay after that. Otherwise I just have the usual PF pains ... when I take a step the wrong way, or after being on my feet too long, and first thing in the morning for about 2-3 hours. I bike in the afternoon after my feet have loosened up.

Re: hot foot

wendyn on 8/29/00 at 22:34 (026689)

I have had 'hot feet' many times, usually at the end of the day from standing too much. It is often related to nerve pain/symptoms. I would accept this as a warning that your bod is not appreciating the bike. Perhaps stop at the 20 min mark when this starts or slow down a bit. For your weight - a short break should not change things much, modify your diet a bit or try to add some swimming.

Be careful though - often these twinges are the early signs that something is not right, ignore at your peril. I did!

Rock on 8/30/00 at 06:21 (026710)

Could you exchange two of your bike days for swim days to minimize any chance of developing an overuse injury ?

Caution: While swimming is good for PF, pushing off pool walls with your 'bad' foot is very BAD for PF.

Rock.

john h on 8/30/00 at 09:20 (026723)

my first symptoms with my feet 6 years ago was 'hot' feet when running. I ignored and my problem went from hot feet to pf and became chronic.

john h on 8/30/00 at 09:23 (026724)

speaking of hot feet it was 108 degrees in little rock yesterday and has been in the 100-108 degree range for 21 straight days with 7 more days forcast at over 100. at the opening football game this saturday afternoon at razorback stadium they expect the temp to be 120 degrees in the stands.

Re: hot foot ...another question

Lori E. on 8/30/00 at 10:21 (026730)

Thanks for all your replies. Just one more question. Any suggestions for exercise besides swimming? I have very sensitive skin and pool water causes my skin to crack and I get a rash. That's why I have been biking so much. I don't want to quit exercising, but I will take your warnings to heart and cut back on my biking time. I was thinking maybe two sessions of 15 min. instead of once a day for 30 min. What do you all think? Thanks for the advice.

wendyn on 8/30/00 at 11:39 (026732)

How about adding yoga, weight training, and strength training. There's lots of classes now at gyms (or probably videos too) that emphasize body conditioning. For cardio, swimming or biking are probably your best bet. What about a salt water pool?

Barbara on 8/30/00 at 13:35 (026746)

I once had a bad case of hot feet. It was the first week I had PF and when I got home from work one day, my feet were literally on fire. I sat on the couch and iced my feet to no avail. Then, as I stood up, the middle of my spine cracked twice. The heat in my feet disappeared immediately. It was so weird, but I was so relieved. The heat never returned.

john h on 8/31/00 at 16:51 (026830)

wendy: you are certainly the 'yoga queen' of the board. can you do the 'mind meld' that dr spock did on star trek?

Paul on 9/02/00 at 16:21 (026974)

I have 'hot feet' or buring feet when i run, and it has now developed into slight heel pain and some days i have severe pain in the middle part of my upper foot in line with my big toe. I am unsure wether this is plantar fasciitis as the pain is not on the under side of the foot. CAN ANYONE HELP? The pain is bad!

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 17:38 (026979)

Paul - does 'upper' foot mean your forefoot or the top of your foot?
Heel pain can be a sign of heel spurs and/or Plantar Fasciitis and can also be a sign of a stress fracture.
Did you recently get new running shoes? Sometimes the lacing system on running shoes can irritate the top surface of the foot.

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:36 (027026)

I don't know Paul - by you're description it sounds like I get pain in the same place (and it will hurt when I flex my big toe). I have TTS as well as some other problems...so I've never known what to attribute this particular pain to.

wendyn on 8/29/00 at 22:34 (026689)

I have had 'hot feet' many times, usually at the end of the day from standing too much. It is often related to nerve pain/symptoms. I would accept this as a warning that your bod is not appreciating the bike. Perhaps stop at the 20 min mark when this starts or slow down a bit. For your weight - a short break should not change things much, modify your diet a bit or try to add some swimming.

Be careful though - often these twinges are the early signs that something is not right, ignore at your peril. I did!

Rock on 8/30/00 at 06:21 (026710)

Could you exchange two of your bike days for swim days to minimize any chance of developing an overuse injury ?

Caution: While swimming is good for PF, pushing off pool walls with your 'bad' foot is very BAD for PF.

Rock.

john h on 8/30/00 at 09:20 (026723)

my first symptoms with my feet 6 years ago was 'hot' feet when running. I ignored and my problem went from hot feet to pf and became chronic.

john h on 8/30/00 at 09:23 (026724)

speaking of hot feet it was 108 degrees in little rock yesterday and has been in the 100-108 degree range for 21 straight days with 7 more days forcast at over 100. at the opening football game this saturday afternoon at razorback stadium they expect the temp to be 120 degrees in the stands.

Lori E. on 8/30/00 at 10:21 (026730)

Thanks for all your replies. Just one more question. Any suggestions for exercise besides swimming? I have very sensitive skin and pool water causes my skin to crack and I get a rash. That's why I have been biking so much. I don't want to quit exercising, but I will take your warnings to heart and cut back on my biking time. I was thinking maybe two sessions of 15 min. instead of once a day for 30 min. What do you all think? Thanks for the advice.

wendyn on 8/30/00 at 11:39 (026732)

How about adding yoga, weight training, and strength training. There's lots of classes now at gyms (or probably videos too) that emphasize body conditioning. For cardio, swimming or biking are probably your best bet. What about a salt water pool?

Barbara on 8/30/00 at 13:35 (026746)

I once had a bad case of hot feet. It was the first week I had PF and when I got home from work one day, my feet were literally on fire. I sat on the couch and iced my feet to no avail. Then, as I stood up, the middle of my spine cracked twice. The heat in my feet disappeared immediately. It was so weird, but I was so relieved. The heat never returned.

john h on 8/31/00 at 16:51 (026830)

wendy: you are certainly the 'yoga queen' of the board. can you do the 'mind meld' that dr spock did on star trek?

Paul on 9/02/00 at 16:21 (026974)

I have 'hot feet' or buring feet when i run, and it has now developed into slight heel pain and some days i have severe pain in the middle part of my upper foot in line with my big toe. I am unsure wether this is plantar fasciitis as the pain is not on the under side of the foot. CAN ANYONE HELP? The pain is bad!

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 17:38 (026979)

Paul - does 'upper' foot mean your forefoot or the top of your foot?
Heel pain can be a sign of heel spurs and/or Plantar Fasciitis and can also be a sign of a stress fracture.
Did you recently get new running shoes? Sometimes the lacing system on running shoes can irritate the top surface of the foot.

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:36 (027026)

I don't know Paul - by you're description it sounds like I get pain in the same place (and it will hurt when I flex my big toe). I have TTS as well as some other problems...so I've never known what to attribute this particular pain to.