Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's Going On?

Posted by Joopie on 8/29/00 at 23:09 (026699)

EPF in March on left foot, May on right foot. Left foot is a mess. Pain on the outside edge, over the top of the foot, up the outside back of the ankle, and pain and swelling on th insidde of the ankle. My doc says there's not too much he can do - basically its orthotics, which I have worn for years, and good shoes. He says I do have, however, a tibia tendon strain (inside the ankle), and put me in a cast for 2.5 weeks. Then it'll be back to the orthotics and shoes. What if the cast doesn't solve the problem? Does accupuncture work for this pain? I walk ALL day at work, and can't have this sort of pain all the time. Is this something I will just have to 'live with'? I have been exploring a chronic pain group recently, to help me deal with this. My doc says 'You don't have chronic pain, I wish you wouldn't go to that group.' He thinks there will be a stigma attached to it. Please tell me your thoughts on all these things, if you would. Thanks for your time.

Re: What's Going On?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/30/00 at 02:51 (026705)

This is from PF releases on both feet. It is the way the foot weight bearing functions. It may clear up in six months to a year. This is why I hate pf surgery and have replaced it with ESWT, but that's a different story. Get into an airsplint from Aircast first. You want to reduce the motion in the foot on the outside of the ankle and foot. This could help with the airsplint. If this doesn't then cast and see if this helps. This can be a very hard and tough road to recovery.

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 06:07 (026709)

There is not a stigma associated with pain groups. There are usually two types of Doctors, those that think pain should be treated and those that if they are not the ones feeling the pain they think you should tough it out. I agree with Dr. Zuckermans ways on how to reduce and treat the area of pain. Try the braces but don't make yourself suffer through. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/30/00 at 02:51 (026705)

This is from PF releases on both feet. It is the way the foot weight bearing functions. It may clear up in six months to a year. This is why I hate pf surgery and have replaced it with ESWT, but that's a different story. Get into an airsplint from Aircast first. You want to reduce the motion in the foot on the outside of the ankle and foot. This could help with the airsplint. If this doesn't then cast and see if this helps. This can be a very hard and tough road to recovery.

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 06:07 (026709)

There is not a stigma associated with pain groups. There are usually two types of Doctors, those that think pain should be treated and those that if they are not the ones feeling the pain they think you should tough it out. I agree with Dr. Zuckermans ways on how to reduce and treat the area of pain. Try the braces but don't make yourself suffer through. Dr. Biehler