Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"ArchCrafter" full length insoles?

Posted by john a on 8/30/00 at 12:18 (026736)

Without specifically endosing it (unless you know it to be great!), what do the Good Doctors Z and Biehler think of the likely worth/efficacy of the ArchCrafter custom 'orthotics' available at FootSmart? :
https://www.footsmart.com/cgi-bin/KineticQuery?record_ID=2000080821044743&DCONFIG=/product/user/config.txt
They were mentioned here a week or so ago, but I don't think anyone had tried them.

Re: "ArchCrafter" full length insoles?

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 12:45 (026740)

I read a summary ( by an orthotic co.) that stated 7 out of 10 people benifited from using an over the counter orthotic that was choosen by shoe size. If some one is trying to get an accurate fit to their foot, this would be one way to do it. If the person is able to hold their foot in a subtaylor neutral postion while making the impression the orthotic can even become more functional than accomodatve. I don't have a problem with the orthotics, but I think the person has to know the reason they are getting the orthotics to begin with. Dr. Biehler

john a on 8/30/00 at 15:10 (026757)

Thanks for the response. In my case, I want an orthotic to provide good arch support and heel cupping with a minimum of that 'doesn't fit right' feeling that I get from almost every OTC insert. Structurally/mechanically speaking, I don't think my feet need much correcting (but what do I know!). I have normal resting arches that flatten a good deal when standing. Could you explain what a 'subtaylor neutral' position is in layman's terms? BTW, the way the impression is made in the 'ArchCrafter' case is by pressing the foot into some sort of impressionable material, which obviously subjects the foot to some weight bearing force. How does that compare to totally non-weight bearing foot casting? Thanks.

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 15:18 (026760)

Subtaylor neutral is what they call the foot when all the bones are lined up the way the would be in the middle of the gate cylce while it is supporting your weight. The impression method is a good way to capture the foot and a lot of Dr. use it instead of casting. Most labs assume the foot was not held correctly in Subtaylor neutral so they make adjustments to correct for this. This is fine unless you need perscription orthotics and is probably all that is necesary for most people. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 12:45 (026740)

I read a summary ( by an orthotic co.) that stated 7 out of 10 people benifited from using an over the counter orthotic that was choosen by shoe size. If some one is trying to get an accurate fit to their foot, this would be one way to do it. If the person is able to hold their foot in a subtaylor neutral postion while making the impression the orthotic can even become more functional than accomodatve. I don't have a problem with the orthotics, but I think the person has to know the reason they are getting the orthotics to begin with. Dr. Biehler

john a on 8/30/00 at 15:10 (026757)

Thanks for the response. In my case, I want an orthotic to provide good arch support and heel cupping with a minimum of that 'doesn't fit right' feeling that I get from almost every OTC insert. Structurally/mechanically speaking, I don't think my feet need much correcting (but what do I know!). I have normal resting arches that flatten a good deal when standing. Could you explain what a 'subtaylor neutral' position is in layman's terms? BTW, the way the impression is made in the 'ArchCrafter' case is by pressing the foot into some sort of impressionable material, which obviously subjects the foot to some weight bearing force. How does that compare to totally non-weight bearing foot casting? Thanks.

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 15:18 (026760)

Subtaylor neutral is what they call the foot when all the bones are lined up the way the would be in the middle of the gate cylce while it is supporting your weight. The impression method is a good way to capture the foot and a lot of Dr. use it instead of casting. Most labs assume the foot was not held correctly in Subtaylor neutral so they make adjustments to correct for this. This is fine unless you need perscription orthotics and is probably all that is necesary for most people. Dr. Biehler