Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could this ever get better?

Posted by AmyM on 8/30/00 at 16:04 (026761)

I have had chronic PF and AT in both feet for 10 years. I've tried most of the standard treatments but was never aware of the importance of regular streching. I only ever hdad a few PT over the years.
What I would like to know is have you ever seen cases like this that improved? or got better?
I@m not a candidate for surgery as I have an abnormal gait that can't be corrected.
I've never tried night splints or the strassbourg sock, do you think that would be worth a shot?

Re: Could this ever get better?

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 16:33 (026765)

What kind of gait do you have and why did you say you are not a surgery canidate? Dr. Biehler

AmyM on 8/31/00 at 15:16 (026825)

I'm afraid I can't describe my gait anatomically. I am knock-kneed and pigeon toed! I walk on the lateral edges of my feet and this is always where my shoes wear down first. I don't walk heel to toe and I think this contributes to my at, I put all my weight on my heel. I don't put any weight on the ball of my foot. My big toe sticks up all the time (dorsiflexed) and any weight on my forefoot goes onto the proximal phalnges instead of the distal one. My Babinski reflex is absent and this prompted the neurological tests, that showed I had a congenital neurological abnormality that caused my screwy gait.
Obviously the neuorological defect can't be fixed and therefore its assumed that surgery won't bring and long term benifit as I'll continue to walk funny adn the pf/at will recurr.
This started when I was 12 years old, (at that time I suddenly took up dancing on a concrete floor in bare feet and have wondered if that was why it all started)I walked funny for ten years before that and my feet didn't hurt. I would like to believe (boy would I like to believe) that I can continue to walk funny with less pain.
I'm concerned that my at has been inflammed for so long that I'm going to end up doing myself even more damage if i don't try and do something about it.
Orthotics to correct my gait seem to put my knees and hips out of aligment and this makes them and my back hurt.
I on a waiting list to see a podiatrist but I could wait another 6 months before i see them. I've seen about 6 GP's and 2 orthos and a neurologist over the years. They seem to believe that I'm exaggerating the pain adn I chould just put up wiht it, which I have tried to do, but finding this website has made me question that view. I would appreciate any help you could give me, although I knwo its almost impossible when you can't see me or my notes!!

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 19:47 (026846)

In a nerological case like this I do not use orthotics to try to correct the gait. In this situation where you are walking on the lateral edges of your feet, I would want an orthotic to spead the peak pressure and reduce the pain. This is done by using the orthotic as a way to( in effect) bring the ground up to the foot.The orthotic needs a high lateral phalange so your foot doesn't slide off it. Important: If a doctor makes a cast of your foot in the same position as if you are standing, HE MUST TELL the lab that the foot is at an angle. Other wise when the lab gets the cast to make the orthotic from, they think the cast is of a foot flat on the ground and the orthotic will not work. I have seen this happen! I would use a leather orthotiic on rubber butter. I would also request a deep heel cup. These orthotics are easy to adjust to make them comfortable. It might be a good Idea to have a talk with the orthotic lab before it is made. A gentel streching routine, if possible, should be started to keep flexibility and length in the achillies. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Biehler on 8/30/00 at 16:33 (026765)

What kind of gait do you have and why did you say you are not a surgery canidate? Dr. Biehler

AmyM on 8/31/00 at 15:16 (026825)

I'm afraid I can't describe my gait anatomically. I am knock-kneed and pigeon toed! I walk on the lateral edges of my feet and this is always where my shoes wear down first. I don't walk heel to toe and I think this contributes to my at, I put all my weight on my heel. I don't put any weight on the ball of my foot. My big toe sticks up all the time (dorsiflexed) and any weight on my forefoot goes onto the proximal phalnges instead of the distal one. My Babinski reflex is absent and this prompted the neurological tests, that showed I had a congenital neurological abnormality that caused my screwy gait.
Obviously the neuorological defect can't be fixed and therefore its assumed that surgery won't bring and long term benifit as I'll continue to walk funny adn the pf/at will recurr.
This started when I was 12 years old, (at that time I suddenly took up dancing on a concrete floor in bare feet and have wondered if that was why it all started)I walked funny for ten years before that and my feet didn't hurt. I would like to believe (boy would I like to believe) that I can continue to walk funny with less pain.
I'm concerned that my at has been inflammed for so long that I'm going to end up doing myself even more damage if i don't try and do something about it.
Orthotics to correct my gait seem to put my knees and hips out of aligment and this makes them and my back hurt.
I on a waiting list to see a podiatrist but I could wait another 6 months before i see them. I've seen about 6 GP's and 2 orthos and a neurologist over the years. They seem to believe that I'm exaggerating the pain adn I chould just put up wiht it, which I have tried to do, but finding this website has made me question that view. I would appreciate any help you could give me, although I knwo its almost impossible when you can't see me or my notes!!

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 19:47 (026846)

In a nerological case like this I do not use orthotics to try to correct the gait. In this situation where you are walking on the lateral edges of your feet, I would want an orthotic to spead the peak pressure and reduce the pain. This is done by using the orthotic as a way to( in effect) bring the ground up to the foot.The orthotic needs a high lateral phalange so your foot doesn't slide off it. Important: If a doctor makes a cast of your foot in the same position as if you are standing, HE MUST TELL the lab that the foot is at an angle. Other wise when the lab gets the cast to make the orthotic from, they think the cast is of a foot flat on the ground and the orthotic will not work. I have seen this happen! I would use a leather orthotiic on rubber butter. I would also request a deep heel cup. These orthotics are easy to adjust to make them comfortable. It might be a good Idea to have a talk with the orthotic lab before it is made. A gentel streching routine, if possible, should be started to keep flexibility and length in the achillies. Dr. Biehler