Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planter Fascia Problems

Posted by Kamal Doshi on 8/31/00 at 00:46 (026794)

FOr about 1 1/2 years I am getting all sort of tretment at a podiatrist in Northern VA. Orthotics, 2 sets of cortizone treatment (3 injections x 2), prednisolone pack twice, stretching excercises, night splints, to no avail.

I have a heel spur as well.

Initially had this problem 10 years ago and went away with change of shoes. Had the bone spur then too.

This time nothing works. Most doctors and an orthopaedic that I consulted tell me that surgery for planter fascia problems is rare, not very effective, and may create new problems.

What is your opinion.

Re: Planter Fascia Problems

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 01:04 (026798)

Hello Kamal Doshi,

I, also, had this problem about 10 years ago. This time around it was more challenging.

I found that very much REST was the key to recovery. Yes to the nightsplint, and then after pain went away a gradual return to gentle stretching.

I hope this helps. BG

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 01:07 (026799)

Hello Kamal Doshi,

I also had this problem about 10 years ago. This time the problem was more challenging.

I found that REST was important to recovery. Yes to the NightSplint, and then after the pain went away beginning to stretch very gently.

I hope this helps. BG

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 08:37 (026804)

Kamal, When you were given orthotics at the VA, what was the biomechanical problem they were trying to correct? There are many kinds of orthotics and sometimes they just give out an orthotic that molds to the foot in a hit or miss way with out any real plan in mind. Some times they help that way and sometimes they don't. Sx for plantar fascia problems is not rare and when called for can sometimes do alot of good. There are different ways to do the sx so you really need to find out what is causing the problem to begin with. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 8/31/00 at 17:57 (026837)

Hi Kamal,
In the last year and a half, have you had any intensive physical therapy for your PF? I am finally having PT after nearly a year and a half also and believe it is helping.
I agree with Bob that a lot of rest is needed to calm the whole situation down, before stretching and strengthening etc. can be of much help. Have you been able to give your feet a significant break, or are you on your feet a lot?
Opinions on surgery differ. The first doctor (podiatrist) I saw for this, over a year ago, was dying to do EPF surgery. Since then, every doctor I've seen, including the excellent sports med. dr. I see now (and plan to stick with), has discouraged surgery for this condition. If I were you, I would hold out, rest, get some good physical therapy, and then if still necessary look into ESWT (shock wave therapy) before even considering surgery.
Good luck to you.
Nancy

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 01:04 (026798)

Hello Kamal Doshi,

I, also, had this problem about 10 years ago. This time around it was more challenging.

I found that very much REST was the key to recovery. Yes to the nightsplint, and then after pain went away a gradual return to gentle stretching.

I hope this helps. BG

Bob G. on 8/31/00 at 01:07 (026799)

Hello Kamal Doshi,

I also had this problem about 10 years ago. This time the problem was more challenging.

I found that REST was important to recovery. Yes to the NightSplint, and then after the pain went away beginning to stretch very gently.

I hope this helps. BG

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 08:37 (026804)

Kamal, When you were given orthotics at the VA, what was the biomechanical problem they were trying to correct? There are many kinds of orthotics and sometimes they just give out an orthotic that molds to the foot in a hit or miss way with out any real plan in mind. Some times they help that way and sometimes they don't. Sx for plantar fascia problems is not rare and when called for can sometimes do alot of good. There are different ways to do the sx so you really need to find out what is causing the problem to begin with. Dr. Biehler

Nancy S. on 8/31/00 at 17:57 (026837)

Hi Kamal,
In the last year and a half, have you had any intensive physical therapy for your PF? I am finally having PT after nearly a year and a half also and believe it is helping.
I agree with Bob that a lot of rest is needed to calm the whole situation down, before stretching and strengthening etc. can be of much help. Have you been able to give your feet a significant break, or are you on your feet a lot?
Opinions on surgery differ. The first doctor (podiatrist) I saw for this, over a year ago, was dying to do EPF surgery. Since then, every doctor I've seen, including the excellent sports med. dr. I see now (and plan to stick with), has discouraged surgery for this condition. If I were you, I would hold out, rest, get some good physical therapy, and then if still necessary look into ESWT (shock wave therapy) before even considering surgery.
Good luck to you.
Nancy