Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nightsplint question, midnight flare-ups

Posted by Barbara S. on 8/31/00 at 09:17 (026806)

I have been wearing a nightsplint faithfully for 2 months, and I notice that every few nights I have a flare-up of pain so severe right in the middle of the night that I have to get it off and spend the rest of the night without it. I'm not moving around or anything, so what could be causing this sudden, poker-hot pain radiating from heel throughout the arch? It seems to subside when I give my calf a good, deep rub - then I can fall back to sleep. In hopes of solving the problem I adjusted the splint from 5 degrees dosiflextion to a straight 0 with no success at stopping these mid-night flares. What could they be? Thank goodness the calf-massage helped; I used to be up in the middle of the night with ice, and heat and tears, up for hours! Am I having muscle spasms or something? Thanks, doctors!

Re: Nightsplint question, midnight flare-ups

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 10:19 (026809)

In a normal walk, a person needs 15 degrees of doriflextion to allow their body to pass over their foot. Anything less has to be made up for by changing the way you walk or in your other joints. The stress of not having this range of motion can cause alot of the achillies and plantar fascia problems. The night splint it supposed to help keeep the fasic streched and the fluids from building up around the fascia. A night splint at zerro degress theoriticaly should have no effect unless you have sever equinus. If you feel a burning pain it is from a nerve that has been set off. The strain of the splint could have caused a muscle cramp setting it off. Dr. Biehler

Re: Nightsplint question, midnight flare-ups

Dr. Biehler on 8/31/00 at 10:19 (026809)

In a normal walk, a person needs 15 degrees of doriflextion to allow their body to pass over their foot. Anything less has to be made up for by changing the way you walk or in your other joints. The stress of not having this range of motion can cause alot of the achillies and plantar fascia problems. The night splint it supposed to help keeep the fasic streched and the fluids from building up around the fascia. A night splint at zerro degress theoriticaly should have no effect unless you have sever equinus. If you feel a burning pain it is from a nerve that has been set off. The strain of the splint could have caused a muscle cramp setting it off. Dr. Biehler