Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

arch sleeve

Posted by davidb on 8/31/00 at 10:27 (026810)

Has anyone tried a product from Foot Smart called an 'arch sleeve,' which is simply an elastic band that raises the arch. And another question: If you need orthotics simply to raise your arch to solve a relatively minor case of PF, shouldn't something like the arch sleeve do the trick?

Re: arch sleeve

Pauline on 8/31/00 at 11:08 (026813)

I've seen this product and thought about it. You could probably try
the samething by taping your foot. I thought I might try making one before I purchased this one. My only experience with these strap
things are that I seem to feel everything under my arch and the edges sometimes roll and hurt.

I also found another product call good wrap. Use yahoo and you can find it just type it in. See what you think about this product.

I think I have tried just about everything looking for comfort, but
I did like the bands.

salina on 8/31/00 at 12:09 (026818)

I have the arch sleeve. I put it on when I wear the nightsplints, it helps to keep my fascia or tendons pulled close to my foot when they are in that stretched position. And also helps for when I have to get up and hobble to the bathroom or to check on my kids (quickly).
I also put it on whenever I do stretching exercises (nonweightbearing). I feel more confident to stretch while wearing it, and I 'think' it helps.
But as far as using it for walking around and stuff, I don't believe it is too good. Helpful, as added support, but definately not to be used alone. I read, I think on this site, an article about taping, and it said that the tape has to connect your heel to your metatarsal area also, just wrapping tape around your arches isn't good enough.
I tried taping my feet the same way it was done in the article, good pictures. And it did work. But it takes practice, cause I would get it too tight, etc. But I could really tell what they meant by connecting the whole foot like that. Its on this site somewhere, if you want to see it. Its an article from a sports doctor, demonstrating how to tape a foot for an athlete. It is good. But you have to have patience. I have run out of tape though. Could get a little expensive to do it every day, but I am glad I at least know how to do it now, cause when I had to travel through airports and stuff one time, it saved me. Anyway, I don't want to discourage you from getting the arch sleeves. I am just saying that from what I have read, with weightbearing activities, it needs more than a wrap around the arch, even though it does help a little. Best wishes to you, salina

Lori E. on 9/01/00 at 16:48 (026910)

I have tried an elastic bandage that wraped around my arch and then crossed over and wrapped around my ankle. It did not help me. I have found that my shoes with or orthodics or even better, birkenstock Tatami shoes have worked well for me. All other arch supports and bandages have not worked for me. We are all different... so what worked for me may not work for you, but I think having an arch support that doesn't have 'give' to it seems to work best.

Pauline on 8/31/00 at 11:08 (026813)

I've seen this product and thought about it. You could probably try
the samething by taping your foot. I thought I might try making one before I purchased this one. My only experience with these strap
things are that I seem to feel everything under my arch and the edges sometimes roll and hurt.

I also found another product call good wrap. Use yahoo and you can find it just type it in. See what you think about this product.

I think I have tried just about everything looking for comfort, but
I did like the bands.

salina on 8/31/00 at 12:09 (026818)

I have the arch sleeve. I put it on when I wear the nightsplints, it helps to keep my fascia or tendons pulled close to my foot when they are in that stretched position. And also helps for when I have to get up and hobble to the bathroom or to check on my kids (quickly).
I also put it on whenever I do stretching exercises (nonweightbearing). I feel more confident to stretch while wearing it, and I 'think' it helps.
But as far as using it for walking around and stuff, I don't believe it is too good. Helpful, as added support, but definately not to be used alone. I read, I think on this site, an article about taping, and it said that the tape has to connect your heel to your metatarsal area also, just wrapping tape around your arches isn't good enough.
I tried taping my feet the same way it was done in the article, good pictures. And it did work. But it takes practice, cause I would get it too tight, etc. But I could really tell what they meant by connecting the whole foot like that. Its on this site somewhere, if you want to see it. Its an article from a sports doctor, demonstrating how to tape a foot for an athlete. It is good. But you have to have patience. I have run out of tape though. Could get a little expensive to do it every day, but I am glad I at least know how to do it now, cause when I had to travel through airports and stuff one time, it saved me. Anyway, I don't want to discourage you from getting the arch sleeves. I am just saying that from what I have read, with weightbearing activities, it needs more than a wrap around the arch, even though it does help a little. Best wishes to you, salina

Lori E. on 9/01/00 at 16:48 (026910)

I have tried an elastic bandage that wraped around my arch and then crossed over and wrapped around my ankle. It did not help me. I have found that my shoes with or orthodics or even better, birkenstock Tatami shoes have worked well for me. All other arch supports and bandages have not worked for me. We are all different... so what worked for me may not work for you, but I think having an arch support that doesn't have 'give' to it seems to work best.