Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Alan & Nancy: Opps. Open mouth insert foot... Acu-Flex/PFT

Posted by Beverly on 8/31/00 at 12:53 (026820)

Alan,

Opps. I need to 'open mouth and insert foot' in my reference to fashion sense and the Acu-Flex. It's probably smart marketing because it's colorfulness certainly caught my attention! And now that I know you are an anthropologist, no wonder it's got a 'safari' motiff!

It caught my attention, because it looks like a 'closer relative' to
traditional stretching than some of the other stretching devices I've seen.

Nancy, I am going to ask for that ice. I'm having a very bad week.
It's the worst week I have had pain wise in awhile. I'm counting the days until I see my orthopedic doctor to ask for that nerve block shot Dr. Z. suggested. I have pain in the arches and around the ankles.
But no visible swelling thank God. And so far, I am tolerating Vioxx
(which I just started taking again this week.)

I used the PFT again this morning... 4th morning with it. It was the second time I've had increased ankle pain while using it. I'm told by both Dr. Z. and Mike W. (plus my PT) that it has to used very gently. I think I was gentle, but who knows?

Anyway, my pain level this week is near an all-time high. Okay, not as bad as back in May when I came home from my failed vacation.
I have no idea if my PFT has anything to do with the increased pain, but I am going to back off from it the rest of the week for comparision.

I will say this about the PFT. It is more complicated than it looks.
I personally would not try it without supervision by my PT.

Beverly

Re: To Alan & Nancy: Opps. Open mouth insert foot... Acu-Flex/PFT

JudyS on 8/31/00 at 14:03 (026821)

Hi Beverly - doesn't it seem like a lot of us are having that back- again-after-some-relief pain this week? I've been searching around for high tides and full moons but can't find 'em to blame them!
I inexpertly (is there such a word?) would guess that you're right about the PFT's - maybe the increase in activity is creating some soreness. Isn't it true that exercising most any muscle makes it sore at first? It's finding that 'just right' measure of exercise that's a trick! But hang in there, OK? Maybe the PFT's every other day for a while? Good Luck with your continued PT.

Nancy S. on 8/31/00 at 14:15 (026822)

Beverly, that's too bad you're having such a bad foot week. (Boy, has my vocabulary changed. It's now full of references to 'foot people,' 'foot week,' etc.)
Is the ankle pain new for you? I know you'll have the doc look at that next week. The 3 brands of tendonitis I have cause a lot of ankle pain, plus swelling. I hope you don't have this. I can't really remember if the swelling immediately accompanied the pain, but I think it did; so since you're not swollen, hopefully you're just having some overcompensating side-benefit(!) pain.
Take it easy -- you're almost to 'Beverly's Saturday.'
Nancy

john h on 8/31/00 at 16:37 (026826)

i always find it most curious that so many of us will have ups and downs 'for no apparent reason'! there are times i can tie it to activity but many times there is nothing to blame except the PF Gods.

Beverly on 8/31/00 at 17:59 (026838)

No, ankle pain is not new for me. When I am having a really bad PF spell, it goes into my ankles. I've never had swelling of the ankles.
One reason I am laying off the PFT is that since it gave me increased ankle pain, I don't want to overdo it, and get tendonistis... especially since someone with that said her doctor took away her Birks!

Since my PT is now only 2x a week, I have only had one PFT session with the therapist. She had to work with me on the technique. I may not have the right balance yet. At any rate, I feel bad enough, I'm laying off the thing for awhile. It was also making my big toe hurt. I see my PT tomorrow.

I'm going to return to my regular stretching. I will probably try the PFT again later.

I have done a PFT search twice now, and I did not find as many positive posts as I had remembered. If anyone has had great success with the thing, I'd like to hear from you. Seems like when a survey was done a few weeks ago, it didn't yield much reaction.

Sorry to hear so many of us are having bad spells. My big frustration is that this is bad in one foot for a few days, and then that foot starts feeling better and the main pain switches to the other foot.
I have been very aware of how I am walking/standing. If I am favoring one foot over the other, I am not aware of it.

Nancy, yes, my special Saturday is almost here!

Beverly

wendyn on 8/31/00 at 19:46 (026845)

Beverly, do not feel bad.

Alan is my TTS internet buddy from way back....but I had the same 'bad fashion' thoughts about the device. Maybe just a solid color would be more esthetically pleasing.

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 04:01 (026865)

Beverly, If the tendonitis causes me to lose Birks forever, it's going to break my heart. I'm going to take my Birks in for the dr. to look at them next time and see if he agrees with Patty's dr. on this. Yes, please do try to avoid tendonitis. It's supposed to be fairly easy to clear up if you have it by itself, but I find that, as an offshoot of PF, it's another long-term problem that is improving only very, very slowly.
Nancy

JudyS on 8/31/00 at 14:03 (026821)

Hi Beverly - doesn't it seem like a lot of us are having that back- again-after-some-relief pain this week? I've been searching around for high tides and full moons but can't find 'em to blame them!
I inexpertly (is there such a word?) would guess that you're right about the PFT's - maybe the increase in activity is creating some soreness. Isn't it true that exercising most any muscle makes it sore at first? It's finding that 'just right' measure of exercise that's a trick! But hang in there, OK? Maybe the PFT's every other day for a while? Good Luck with your continued PT.

Nancy S. on 8/31/00 at 14:15 (026822)

Beverly, that's too bad you're having such a bad foot week. (Boy, has my vocabulary changed. It's now full of references to 'foot people,' 'foot week,' etc.)
Is the ankle pain new for you? I know you'll have the doc look at that next week. The 3 brands of tendonitis I have cause a lot of ankle pain, plus swelling. I hope you don't have this. I can't really remember if the swelling immediately accompanied the pain, but I think it did; so since you're not swollen, hopefully you're just having some overcompensating side-benefit(!) pain.
Take it easy -- you're almost to 'Beverly's Saturday.'
Nancy

john h on 8/31/00 at 16:37 (026826)

i always find it most curious that so many of us will have ups and downs 'for no apparent reason'! there are times i can tie it to activity but many times there is nothing to blame except the PF Gods.

Beverly on 8/31/00 at 17:59 (026838)

No, ankle pain is not new for me. When I am having a really bad PF spell, it goes into my ankles. I've never had swelling of the ankles.
One reason I am laying off the PFT is that since it gave me increased ankle pain, I don't want to overdo it, and get tendonistis... especially since someone with that said her doctor took away her Birks!

Since my PT is now only 2x a week, I have only had one PFT session with the therapist. She had to work with me on the technique. I may not have the right balance yet. At any rate, I feel bad enough, I'm laying off the thing for awhile. It was also making my big toe hurt. I see my PT tomorrow.

I'm going to return to my regular stretching. I will probably try the PFT again later.

I have done a PFT search twice now, and I did not find as many positive posts as I had remembered. If anyone has had great success with the thing, I'd like to hear from you. Seems like when a survey was done a few weeks ago, it didn't yield much reaction.

Sorry to hear so many of us are having bad spells. My big frustration is that this is bad in one foot for a few days, and then that foot starts feeling better and the main pain switches to the other foot.
I have been very aware of how I am walking/standing. If I am favoring one foot over the other, I am not aware of it.

Nancy, yes, my special Saturday is almost here!

Beverly

wendyn on 8/31/00 at 19:46 (026845)

Beverly, do not feel bad.

Alan is my TTS internet buddy from way back....but I had the same 'bad fashion' thoughts about the device. Maybe just a solid color would be more esthetically pleasing.

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 04:01 (026865)

Beverly, If the tendonitis causes me to lose Birks forever, it's going to break my heart. I'm going to take my Birks in for the dr. to look at them next time and see if he agrees with Patty's dr. on this. Yes, please do try to avoid tendonitis. It's supposed to be fairly easy to clear up if you have it by itself, but I find that, as an offshoot of PF, it's another long-term problem that is improving only very, very slowly.
Nancy