Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Me/yoga queen note to john/reply to nancy/benefits of massage

Posted by wendyn on 8/31/00 at 20:26 (026848)

John, NO - I do not mind meld (Yet anyway). But I believe you posted that to the incorrect board...so I am sending you an evil mind meld message on behalf of Scott. AND, do not knock yoga if you have not tried it.

Nancy - yes - what I am feeling is mostly TTS. It feels like a vice tightening around you're ankle, heat, and nerve pain. Not terribly pleasent.

The good news (?) is that I have a cavity in a tooth that I've been unable to find the time to have filled. It was bothering me sufficiently today that I hardly noticed my feet. This is that 'gate' theory at work again, the body can only interpret so many signals at once. My tooth won out for the most part today.

I was not going to go out for lunch today, thought I'd crash at my desk and have a little pity party. Sore foot, sore tooth. Coworker convinced me to hobble to the gym and just go for a hot tub, she even said she'd walk slowly with me. So, I went. Ran into the person who usually does my massage, and her appointment was a no show. SO, I went for a 30 min massage followed by a hot tub! Nice lunch...!

While I was having my massage, the masseuse (sp?) commented, 'Hmmm...your calves are really tight. Hmmmm... you're glutes are really tight...you're IT bands are really tight...you're hamstrings are really tight...you're shoulder's are really tight'. Finally I looked up at her and said 'Kay, you're mission today is to find a muscle that is NOT tight.' She didn't say too much after that.

Afterwards, my ever patient coworker commented on how much better I seemed to be walking. I am consistently at a loss to explain how a massage that does not touch my feet, seems to benefit my feet so much.

I am by no means 100?% tonight, but I am a much happier person. Sore tooth excluded.

I have not even had a martini....I do not like martinis because I think gin and vermouth are both really gross.

Re: Me/yoga queen note to john/reply to nancy/benefits of massage

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 03:46 (026864)

Ya, Wendy, nice lunch!
I have experienced that gate-theory effect too. Sometimes I wonder if I walked around with a little biting clamp on my neck whether I'd have less foot pain. I'd look weird but it might be worth it!
I think a body massage relaxes Everything. I had one last fall when my PF was very bad, and I felt better, feet included, for about 3 days. If I could afford it, I'd get a massage every three days. But I guess food is more important.
I think gin is gross too. I use vodka. I'm not absolutely crazy about a martini, but it seems to be the one drink I can handle after the candida diet. Contrary to what SOME people make me sound like on here (those devils), I don't have one all that often!
Nancy

john h on 9/01/00 at 10:09 (026878)

wendy: your post reminds me of the old 60's song 'baby, everything is alright, up tight. out of sight'. was it the temptations?

Beverly on 9/01/00 at 12:22 (026885)

How do you all do yoga with PF when so many of the positions call for being on one foot? And many of the positions are standing positions?
Are you modifying the positions?
Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 9/01/00 at 13:03 (026887)

Yes - I think that each person needs to modify activities for themselves and what they can and can't do (not just in yoga). I go to a small yoga class (no more than 6 people) and the instrucor is very patient with me. I never do one foot poses, and many of the standing ones I actually kneel and do. When I do standing poses - I wear my Birks even though in yoga you're really you really should be barefoot.

When everyone is doing things like heavy duty calve stretches or leg work, I just do something else. Or, I do the stretch but much less than everyone else. I find it helps to try things even if they are hard for me - but I never push beyond what I feel is right.

I have learned the very hard way, that just because something is okay for someone else, it does not mean it's okay for me!

john h on 9/01/00 at 14:33 (026897)

i stopped by a yoga studio a few months ago (99% ladies) and they might as well have been doing balet as much as they were on their toes (ouch ouch)!

Denise on 9/03/00 at 06:26 (027012)

Beverly, I hope you can view this followup comment. This is the first time I'm posting a message.

I swear by yoga. I just developed PF and find the yoga stretches are more gentle than typical runner stretches.
A lot of poses are standing one like 'mountain pose' but there is also a 'seated mountain pose' which work very well for PF.

Also, we use a lot of props in my class. I have PF in my left heel so when I do 'mountain' or 'triangle' poses, I put a small pad under my heel. This seems to help.

Re: YOGA VS. different types of stretching

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 16:33 (027061)

I have looked at a few of the yoga groups at our gym and they are far more advanced than anything I would try. I might call around and see if I can find a small class somewhere with an instructor who has worked with people in pain.

But I am wondering. Is it the yoga itself that helps or simply the fact that yoga involves stretching... whole body stretching? Our health club has a stretch and tone class oriented towards seniors. It sounds pretty mild. I'd be the only one in there under 60, but I've been told I'd be welcome. Sad to say, with PF, I might have trouble keeping up with the seniors!

And then I've been thinking about therabands. I already use them for the upperbody. I bought a book that shows how to use therabands for whole body stretching/strengthing.

I remain fascinated with Pilates. We still don't have a Pilates class in town. But there was an article in the paper last week that said there is a blended Pilates/yoga type class.

Beverly

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:49 (027068)

yoga, accupuncture,reflexology,hypnotisim, surgeons,poditrist,wichdoctors,ect i would not be adverse to try anything and it might work. apparently, no one fully understands pf so go for it. some people on the board have positive experiences from all of the above (except witch doctors).

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 03:46 (026864)

Ya, Wendy, nice lunch!
I have experienced that gate-theory effect too. Sometimes I wonder if I walked around with a little biting clamp on my neck whether I'd have less foot pain. I'd look weird but it might be worth it!
I think a body massage relaxes Everything. I had one last fall when my PF was very bad, and I felt better, feet included, for about 3 days. If I could afford it, I'd get a massage every three days. But I guess food is more important.
I think gin is gross too. I use vodka. I'm not absolutely crazy about a martini, but it seems to be the one drink I can handle after the candida diet. Contrary to what SOME people make me sound like on here (those devils), I don't have one all that often!
Nancy

john h on 9/01/00 at 10:09 (026878)

wendy: your post reminds me of the old 60's song 'baby, everything is alright, up tight. out of sight'. was it the temptations?

Beverly on 9/01/00 at 12:22 (026885)

How do you all do yoga with PF when so many of the positions call for being on one foot? And many of the positions are standing positions?
Are you modifying the positions?
Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 9/01/00 at 13:03 (026887)

Yes - I think that each person needs to modify activities for themselves and what they can and can't do (not just in yoga). I go to a small yoga class (no more than 6 people) and the instrucor is very patient with me. I never do one foot poses, and many of the standing ones I actually kneel and do. When I do standing poses - I wear my Birks even though in yoga you're really you really should be barefoot.

When everyone is doing things like heavy duty calve stretches or leg work, I just do something else. Or, I do the stretch but much less than everyone else. I find it helps to try things even if they are hard for me - but I never push beyond what I feel is right.

I have learned the very hard way, that just because something is okay for someone else, it does not mean it's okay for me!

john h on 9/01/00 at 14:33 (026897)

i stopped by a yoga studio a few months ago (99% ladies) and they might as well have been doing balet as much as they were on their toes (ouch ouch)!

Denise on 9/03/00 at 06:26 (027012)

Beverly, I hope you can view this followup comment. This is the first time I'm posting a message.

I swear by yoga. I just developed PF and find the yoga stretches are more gentle than typical runner stretches.
A lot of poses are standing one like 'mountain pose' but there is also a 'seated mountain pose' which work very well for PF.

Also, we use a lot of props in my class. I have PF in my left heel so when I do 'mountain' or 'triangle' poses, I put a small pad under my heel. This seems to help.

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 16:33 (027061)

I have looked at a few of the yoga groups at our gym and they are far more advanced than anything I would try. I might call around and see if I can find a small class somewhere with an instructor who has worked with people in pain.

But I am wondering. Is it the yoga itself that helps or simply the fact that yoga involves stretching... whole body stretching? Our health club has a stretch and tone class oriented towards seniors. It sounds pretty mild. I'd be the only one in there under 60, but I've been told I'd be welcome. Sad to say, with PF, I might have trouble keeping up with the seniors!

And then I've been thinking about therabands. I already use them for the upperbody. I bought a book that shows how to use therabands for whole body stretching/strengthing.

I remain fascinated with Pilates. We still don't have a Pilates class in town. But there was an article in the paper last week that said there is a blended Pilates/yoga type class.

Beverly

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:49 (027068)

yoga, accupuncture,reflexology,hypnotisim, surgeons,poditrist,wichdoctors,ect i would not be adverse to try anything and it might work. apparently, no one fully understands pf so go for it. some people on the board have positive experiences from all of the above (except witch doctors).