Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pointed toes

Posted by wendyn on 8/31/00 at 20:28 (026849)

Someone posted recently about their toes being in a pointed position when they sleep. I have noticed that this is the normal position for my toes to be in - especially when my feet hurt. I know that I have short heel cords and tight 'gastroc' muscles. I imagine this is what causes the 'ballet' feet while I'm laying down.

Do other people have this?

Is this a big deal or any thing to be concerned about?

Re: Pointed toes

Karen S on 8/31/00 at 22:49 (026860)

Funny you mentioned this. On my last PT appointment my therapist had me laying on my stomach while she stretched my calf and ankle muscles. She said it was quite odd that my toes pointed out instead of my feet hanging down as they should in that position.

I'm thinking it must be because the muscles are so tight, but I'm not really sure. I'll ask her tomorrow when I go back.

Karen

Susan S on 9/01/00 at 07:54 (026871)

Yes! I just recently noticed this myself so I'm back in the splints at night. Ironically, when I mentioned this to my family my mother and my husband told me that as I'm drifting off to sleep I rub the top of my foot on the bed. My mommy says I even did this in my crib. Probably means nothing, but there it is.

I'm having pain in at the top of my ankle now. He thought he saw a stress fracture but the MRI said nope. So he doesn't have a clue (and is straight forward enough to say so) and I'm wearing a boot cast for the next three weeks to see what happens. If there is no improvement he will send me to someone else. I'm hoping that the cast will at least do something for my PF.

Since this whole mess started with me I thought that if I had a cast or others could at least 'see' something wrong with me and be more sympathetic. WRONG Now complete strangers come up to me and ask what's wrong with me. Heck, I'm just having fun with it.....'motorcycle accident'.....'dropped a bowling ball on my foot'......'chasing the pigs and tripped'.... How do you politely say 'Go away. My foot hurts'?

wendyn on 9/01/00 at 08:57 (026874)

Honestly - I've found the best answer is to smile and say 'It's a long story'. If someone pushes it for further info, I usually sigh and look at my watch and ask them if they have a couple hours. I've never had anyone say yes.

I do discuss my feet with people I know well, but for the 9000 other people that ask a year...this is my standard answer.

john h on 9/01/00 at 09:29 (026876)

i would guess it is normal to have your toes/feet point down when a relaxed position. you have to contract your muscles to pull your feet up and point the toes and feet in a neutral position.

Bob G. on 9/01/00 at 09:35 (026877)

Yes, this is normal for toes to be pointed when sleeping. That is what the NightSplint is all about; it keeps the toes from pointing and thus keeping the PF from contracting.

I wore my NightSplint most of last night, but had to take it off to get back to sleep.

Good luck with your normal toes. BG

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 14:20 (026894)

Susan, I must say I like the fun you're having replying to cast comments! When I was using a cane I don't think I ever got any comments (maybe they realized it could be used as a weapon). With the cast, I've had just one comment so far: a tough-looking guy passing me on the street as I left PT yelled at me cutely, 'NO RUNNING!' heh heh heh
Like I say, he looked tough and I was in a bad part of town, so I let myself be speechless.
Nancy

Karen S on 8/31/00 at 22:49 (026860)

Funny you mentioned this. On my last PT appointment my therapist had me laying on my stomach while she stretched my calf and ankle muscles. She said it was quite odd that my toes pointed out instead of my feet hanging down as they should in that position.

I'm thinking it must be because the muscles are so tight, but I'm not really sure. I'll ask her tomorrow when I go back.

Karen

Susan S on 9/01/00 at 07:54 (026871)

Yes! I just recently noticed this myself so I'm back in the splints at night. Ironically, when I mentioned this to my family my mother and my husband told me that as I'm drifting off to sleep I rub the top of my foot on the bed. My mommy says I even did this in my crib. Probably means nothing, but there it is.

I'm having pain in at the top of my ankle now. He thought he saw a stress fracture but the MRI said nope. So he doesn't have a clue (and is straight forward enough to say so) and I'm wearing a boot cast for the next three weeks to see what happens. If there is no improvement he will send me to someone else. I'm hoping that the cast will at least do something for my PF.

Since this whole mess started with me I thought that if I had a cast or others could at least 'see' something wrong with me and be more sympathetic. WRONG Now complete strangers come up to me and ask what's wrong with me. Heck, I'm just having fun with it.....'motorcycle accident'.....'dropped a bowling ball on my foot'......'chasing the pigs and tripped'.... How do you politely say 'Go away. My foot hurts'?

wendyn on 9/01/00 at 08:57 (026874)

Honestly - I've found the best answer is to smile and say 'It's a long story'. If someone pushes it for further info, I usually sigh and look at my watch and ask them if they have a couple hours. I've never had anyone say yes.

I do discuss my feet with people I know well, but for the 9000 other people that ask a year...this is my standard answer.

john h on 9/01/00 at 09:29 (026876)

i would guess it is normal to have your toes/feet point down when a relaxed position. you have to contract your muscles to pull your feet up and point the toes and feet in a neutral position.

Bob G. on 9/01/00 at 09:35 (026877)

Yes, this is normal for toes to be pointed when sleeping. That is what the NightSplint is all about; it keeps the toes from pointing and thus keeping the PF from contracting.

I wore my NightSplint most of last night, but had to take it off to get back to sleep.

Good luck with your normal toes. BG

Nancy S. on 9/01/00 at 14:20 (026894)

Susan, I must say I like the fun you're having replying to cast comments! When I was using a cane I don't think I ever got any comments (maybe they realized it could be used as a weapon). With the cast, I've had just one comment so far: a tough-looking guy passing me on the street as I left PT yelled at me cutely, 'NO RUNNING!' heh heh heh
Like I say, he looked tough and I was in a bad part of town, so I let myself be speechless.
Nancy