Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and dreaming of another baby...

Posted by Barbara S. on 9/01/00 at 10:33 (026883)

Anyone out there postponing another child because of this hellish PF? I planned to have another baby this year, but PF has stolen this dream also... My life is severely restricted - I've been homebound for four months, some of the time in a wheelchair. I had to wean my baby after fighting so hard not to need NSAIDS and an antidepressant, so I weaned her and I'm still in pain. I think of that awful weekend I weaned her and I still cry about it. Although I know that the antidepressant is working, I still deal with so much sorrow about MY idea of how my life is supposed to go. I also find that being around my girlfriends is difficult, many of them are expecting babies and I watch the way that they walk around with such ease and speed... six months ago, that used to be ME! I adore my other two children, and enjoying them during this time has really fed my soul and brought me a great deal of joy. But, praying about this - even going to Mass on Sunday, has been SO HARD when I don't see any progress. I made so many deals with God... I guess my faith is being tested, and thank God over PF and not over something much worse.

Anyway, it is so wonderful to have y'all out there. Talking about feet sometimes overloads the circuits of my poor husband. He is a prince, but he's never had chronic pain and, of course, he's never been a woman longing for a baby! B.

Re: PF and dreaming of another baby...

john h on 9/01/00 at 14:26 (026895)

barbara: are you near any of the treatment sites for ESWT? New Jersey,Chicago,L.A? the only thing you have to lose is your pain and some money?

Barbara S. on 9/01/00 at 15:53 (026906)

I am in Texas, but I have considered traveling... The only thing I haven't tried is casting. I think I read somewhere that ESWT can't be done if there is a nerve entrapment (I am going to a neurologist on the 11th for some tests). I missed the ESWT study and Galveston... I would probably go to Dr. Z in N.J. If I lived near a machine I would have done it months ago! I also have some concerns about not being able to 'pin-point' a spot, as the radius of the orbasone is about one inch... oh, and there is always the nightmare of it making me still worse. I'mm mulling over all the possibilities!

Lori E. on 9/01/00 at 16:56 (026911)

I have had to put off having a baby because of my PF. We were planning on starting a family this summer, but my PF is still so bad that we don't want to risk it. I still have about 30 pounds left to loose, and am very afraid of adding more weight on my already stressed out feet. I can't imagine getting pregnant and then making this worse with the weight gain.
I feel for you. I too have several friends who have had babies or are pregnant and I wish I could do that too. It is difficult to see everyone going on with their lives and having to wait or put our plans on hold because my feet won't cooperate. It's yet another thing I cannot do because of my stupid feet. I have missed out on alot of activities because my feet can't take it, and I am getting really sick of this whole thing.
I am on antidepressants to deal with the emotional toll that chronic pain has caused. I have had this for over a year now and am hoping to have PF beat within this next year. I guess I am still trying to be possitive about this. Good luck and take care of yourself!

john h on 9/01/00 at 17:59 (026915)

barbara: from what i read in the fda studies there were no complications that did no go away on there on from use of EWST. that certainly one of the big pluses for this treatment..

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/01/00 at 23:19 (026936)

I have found no long term complications using the orbasone ESWT in over one hundred treatments.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 15:28 (026970)

We are thinking of having a first baby before it is too late, but we are a little concerned that Lee will have to do all the work since I remain with tts pain and need frequent resting.

Funny, the idea of having a baby in the first place I think was related to the pain and the limitations on my Thai Buddhist practice that it seems to present. We originally planned to spend only 10-20 years out in the world before retiring to a temple for radical practice. I don't seem to be up to that kind of physical exertion now (i.e. standing and walking for hours in meditation) so I sort of want something else to do.

I wonder what others think about having babies in response to the crisis that chronic foot pain brings.

alan

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:33 (027025)

I really feel for those of you that are having your decision to have/not to have kids affected by you're feet problems. In retrospect, I was very fortunate that I had my kids really young. It wasn't easy at the time...and it's not really the way I planned it (I had my first son when I was 16) but - physically I don't know if I could manage through a pregnancy now. 7 years ago when I had my second son - my feet really bothered me although they were not too bad going into the pregnancy. I weighed a very reasonable 131 when he was born - so it's not like I'd gained too much weight - but I felt every pound on my feet.

I really hope things work out for all of you that want to have kids.....

john h on 9/01/00 at 14:26 (026895)

barbara: are you near any of the treatment sites for ESWT? New Jersey,Chicago,L.A? the only thing you have to lose is your pain and some money?

Barbara S. on 9/01/00 at 15:53 (026906)

I am in Texas, but I have considered traveling... The only thing I haven't tried is casting. I think I read somewhere that ESWT can't be done if there is a nerve entrapment (I am going to a neurologist on the 11th for some tests). I missed the ESWT study and Galveston... I would probably go to Dr. Z in N.J. If I lived near a machine I would have done it months ago! I also have some concerns about not being able to 'pin-point' a spot, as the radius of the orbasone is about one inch... oh, and there is always the nightmare of it making me still worse. I'mm mulling over all the possibilities!

Lori E. on 9/01/00 at 16:56 (026911)

I have had to put off having a baby because of my PF. We were planning on starting a family this summer, but my PF is still so bad that we don't want to risk it. I still have about 30 pounds left to loose, and am very afraid of adding more weight on my already stressed out feet. I can't imagine getting pregnant and then making this worse with the weight gain.
I feel for you. I too have several friends who have had babies or are pregnant and I wish I could do that too. It is difficult to see everyone going on with their lives and having to wait or put our plans on hold because my feet won't cooperate. It's yet another thing I cannot do because of my stupid feet. I have missed out on alot of activities because my feet can't take it, and I am getting really sick of this whole thing.
I am on antidepressants to deal with the emotional toll that chronic pain has caused. I have had this for over a year now and am hoping to have PF beat within this next year. I guess I am still trying to be possitive about this. Good luck and take care of yourself!

john h on 9/01/00 at 17:59 (026915)

barbara: from what i read in the fda studies there were no complications that did no go away on there on from use of EWST. that certainly one of the big pluses for this treatment..

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/01/00 at 23:19 (026936)

I have found no long term complications using the orbasone ESWT in over one hundred treatments.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 15:28 (026970)

We are thinking of having a first baby before it is too late, but we are a little concerned that Lee will have to do all the work since I remain with tts pain and need frequent resting.

Funny, the idea of having a baby in the first place I think was related to the pain and the limitations on my Thai Buddhist practice that it seems to present. We originally planned to spend only 10-20 years out in the world before retiring to a temple for radical practice. I don't seem to be up to that kind of physical exertion now (i.e. standing and walking for hours in meditation) so I sort of want something else to do.

I wonder what others think about having babies in response to the crisis that chronic foot pain brings.

alan

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:33 (027025)

I really feel for those of you that are having your decision to have/not to have kids affected by you're feet problems. In retrospect, I was very fortunate that I had my kids really young. It wasn't easy at the time...and it's not really the way I planned it (I had my first son when I was 16) but - physically I don't know if I could manage through a pregnancy now. 7 years ago when I had my second son - my feet really bothered me although they were not too bad going into the pregnancy. I weighed a very reasonable 131 when he was born - so it's not like I'd gained too much weight - but I felt every pound on my feet.

I really hope things work out for all of you that want to have kids.....