Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have Pain while wearing nightsplints

Posted by salina on 9/01/00 at 14:16 (026893)

I am REALLY trying to wear these nightsplints every single night. But I am having pain right past the ball of my right foot, where the arch begins. In fact I always have a pain there in that spot.
Should I just stick it out and keep the splint on?
Does anybody else have pain where the fascia attaches to the ball of your feet? When I press on my feet, there is a really sensitive spot that seems to be 'the spot' where the fascia connects to the heel. But there is also a really painful spot right as the arch connects to the ball of my foot also. Is this normal? Does anybody else feel this?

Re: Have Pain while wearing nightsplints

Pauline on 9/01/00 at 15:26 (026902)

Salina,
As I understand it the Plantar Fascia also attaches near the ball
of the foot and because ours are inflammed this causes the tightness
and pain in several locations. I too have had this pain near the
ball of my feet. When the inflammation goes down and you can begin
stretching a little at a time this pain should begin to go away.
I had pain when first beginning to wear night splints because the fascia in my arches was real tight. My splints are in the neutral
position and just holding my feet in that position caused pain.
It does get better with time, however, only you can determine how
much pain the splints are causing you. I found that after my PF
stretched I had no foot pain from the splints, but they gave me hip pain. Are yours adjustable? If so maybe you can adjust the angle
for more comfort. If not maybe you could use them just for part of
the night. I hope others will have more suggestions for you.

salina on 9/01/00 at 18:32 (026919)

hi Pauline,

I do think I am going to stick it out. When I am able to keep them on, my feet feel very flexible and feel very stretched when I wake up. The feeling goes away of course, but for that brief period my feet sort look and feel like they did before I got this.
My night splints are not adjustable. They are at a ten percent flexion. It doesn't bother my left one hardly at all, actually it feels good. But my right, being the worse, is tighter anyway. So I guess it is to be expected.
I am seeing some slight improvement in my toe flexibility already. I am stretching and doing some exercises, and I see improvement.
It just makes you nervous doesn't it not knowing if you are overdoing something. But I am keeping it all up since a couple of weeks ago I couldn't flex my big toe AT ALL. And now I can. I should probably get a splint that is adjustable, at least for my worse foot. So on nights when I feel too much pull going on, I can just adjust it instead of throwing the thing to the floor. Some is better than nothing, right? thanks

alan k on 9/02/00 at 09:43 (026949)

Salina,

There is a tendonitis problem which may present symptoms in the location you speak of. This needs to be explored by a physician immediately.

On the other hand, my wife had pf symptoms in that spot and fully recovered. Stretching and strengthening were very helpful to her.

DO NOT CONTINUE with nightsplint if it is causing pain! Either stop or try folding in a sock under the heel and arch to make it less dorsiflexion and a more natural fit to your foot. Sometimes the flat bottom of the nightsplint is too unnatural and presses on the ball of the foot without engaging the arch. Try molding a sock to your arch and see if it helps, or else discontinues. Do not apply painful anything to your feet for eight hours straight.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Pauline on 9/01/00 at 15:26 (026902)

Salina,
As I understand it the Plantar Fascia also attaches near the ball
of the foot and because ours are inflammed this causes the tightness
and pain in several locations. I too have had this pain near the
ball of my feet. When the inflammation goes down and you can begin
stretching a little at a time this pain should begin to go away.
I had pain when first beginning to wear night splints because the fascia in my arches was real tight. My splints are in the neutral
position and just holding my feet in that position caused pain.
It does get better with time, however, only you can determine how
much pain the splints are causing you. I found that after my PF
stretched I had no foot pain from the splints, but they gave me hip pain. Are yours adjustable? If so maybe you can adjust the angle
for more comfort. If not maybe you could use them just for part of
the night. I hope others will have more suggestions for you.

salina on 9/01/00 at 18:32 (026919)

hi Pauline,

I do think I am going to stick it out. When I am able to keep them on, my feet feel very flexible and feel very stretched when I wake up. The feeling goes away of course, but for that brief period my feet sort look and feel like they did before I got this.
My night splints are not adjustable. They are at a ten percent flexion. It doesn't bother my left one hardly at all, actually it feels good. But my right, being the worse, is tighter anyway. So I guess it is to be expected.
I am seeing some slight improvement in my toe flexibility already. I am stretching and doing some exercises, and I see improvement.
It just makes you nervous doesn't it not knowing if you are overdoing something. But I am keeping it all up since a couple of weeks ago I couldn't flex my big toe AT ALL. And now I can. I should probably get a splint that is adjustable, at least for my worse foot. So on nights when I feel too much pull going on, I can just adjust it instead of throwing the thing to the floor. Some is better than nothing, right? thanks

alan k on 9/02/00 at 09:43 (026949)

Salina,

There is a tendonitis problem which may present symptoms in the location you speak of. This needs to be explored by a physician immediately.

On the other hand, my wife had pf symptoms in that spot and fully recovered. Stretching and strengthening were very helpful to her.

DO NOT CONTINUE with nightsplint if it is causing pain! Either stop or try folding in a sock under the heel and arch to make it less dorsiflexion and a more natural fit to your foot. Sometimes the flat bottom of the nightsplint is too unnatural and presses on the ball of the foot without engaging the arch. Try molding a sock to your arch and see if it helps, or else discontinues. Do not apply painful anything to your feet for eight hours straight.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com