Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FireTalk

Posted by JudyS on 9/01/00 at 20:34 (026924)

My son and I were just looking over some things on the 'Net - I was showing him the FireTalk program, which, when opened, indicated to my Firetalk contact list folks that I was 'on'. Lo and behold, I got my first Firetalk call...it was Scott! Guess he had Firetalk running right when I opened it. Anyway, I heartily encourage all to check it out......we chatted for a good while and Scott gave me some very interesting history on the evolution of this website. All in all it was a fun experience and I think Sunday's could be even more fun.

Turns out that the regulars on the site a year or so ago did a Firetalk thing also for awhile......guess we're the next generation!

Re: FireTalk

Bob G. on 9/02/00 at 00:33 (026937)

So what is required? I do not have a microphone and my computer is old. BG

john h on 9/02/00 at 08:46 (026942)

i am jelous! i cannot use fire talk on my mac! you guys can talk the talk but can you walk the walk?

john h on 9/02/00 at 08:48 (026943)

i did have a great conversation with one of the board members on AOL Instant Messanger. he/she would not tell me who they were but kept giving me clues. he/she finally told me who they were after about 15 minuts. great fun.

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 11:44 (026958)

Hi Bob - microphones can be had pretty inexpensively - around $10 - $15 I think. However, if you decide to invest in anything, about the same amount of money will get you a microphoned headset which is quite a bit easier for this kind of thing (Walmart). You can look on the back of your CPU and see if there are ports for both a microphone and speakers. The headset style plugs in to both. If you already have speakers, then you have a speaker port so you just need to look to see if there's a mike port. My 'older' computer, about 7 years old, has both.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 12:34 (026962)

I found firetalk wierd somehow, at least when talking to my pf buddies last year. I am going to try again though and will probably be there tomorrow. I guess it's the first sunday tomorrow.

alan k

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 12:49 (026963)

Weird somehow? Hmmmm. As it turns out I won't be able to participate this Sunday because we'll have out-of-town guests.
Next time, I hope.
Alan, re: your self-described 'rambling'. Nix that, my friend. As always I found your post to be informative and eye-opening. Thanks.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 15:29 (026971)

It was just wierd hearing the voices of people you only knew through writing before. Kind of like seeing pictures. Also I felt shy whereas I don't while posting.

alan k

john h on 9/02/00 at 19:00 (026987)

alan: tell me about the 'voices' you are hearing. what are the telling you?

alan k on 9/03/00 at 01:21 (027007)

go to sleep

Bob G. on 9/03/00 at 01:54 (027009)

Well, it's late Saturday night so I won't be able to get the gear in time for tomorrow. Shucks! DId you know my voice sounds just like Donald Duck? You Baby Boomers remember him, don't you?

The traffic outside is horrendous! Tomorrow I plan on keeping my PF in a sock, and the sock in bed. (j/k) Cheers! BG

Bob G. on 9/02/00 at 00:33 (026937)

So what is required? I do not have a microphone and my computer is old. BG

john h on 9/02/00 at 08:46 (026942)

i am jelous! i cannot use fire talk on my mac! you guys can talk the talk but can you walk the walk?

john h on 9/02/00 at 08:48 (026943)

i did have a great conversation with one of the board members on AOL Instant Messanger. he/she would not tell me who they were but kept giving me clues. he/she finally told me who they were after about 15 minuts. great fun.

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 11:44 (026958)

Hi Bob - microphones can be had pretty inexpensively - around $10 - $15 I think. However, if you decide to invest in anything, about the same amount of money will get you a microphoned headset which is quite a bit easier for this kind of thing (Walmart). You can look on the back of your CPU and see if there are ports for both a microphone and speakers. The headset style plugs in to both. If you already have speakers, then you have a speaker port so you just need to look to see if there's a mike port. My 'older' computer, about 7 years old, has both.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 12:34 (026962)

I found firetalk wierd somehow, at least when talking to my pf buddies last year. I am going to try again though and will probably be there tomorrow. I guess it's the first sunday tomorrow.

alan k

JudyS on 9/02/00 at 12:49 (026963)

Weird somehow? Hmmmm. As it turns out I won't be able to participate this Sunday because we'll have out-of-town guests.
Next time, I hope.
Alan, re: your self-described 'rambling'. Nix that, my friend. As always I found your post to be informative and eye-opening. Thanks.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 15:29 (026971)

It was just wierd hearing the voices of people you only knew through writing before. Kind of like seeing pictures. Also I felt shy whereas I don't while posting.

alan k

john h on 9/02/00 at 19:00 (026987)

alan: tell me about the 'voices' you are hearing. what are the telling you?

alan k on 9/03/00 at 01:21 (027007)

go to sleep

Bob G. on 9/03/00 at 01:54 (027009)

Well, it's late Saturday night so I won't be able to get the gear in time for tomorrow. Shucks! DId you know my voice sounds just like Donald Duck? You Baby Boomers remember him, don't you?

The traffic outside is horrendous! Tomorrow I plan on keeping my PF in a sock, and the sock in bed. (j/k) Cheers! BG