Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

www.mrtherapy.com

Posted by salina on 9/01/00 at 21:39 (026929)

Go to http://www.mrtherapy.com
Its a site about massage and reflexology. Scroll down about three paragraphs (just guessing) and click on plantar fasciitis. There are a bunch of others to check out also, but of course the PF was where I headed. At first it looks like boring reading, but it got interesting when he tells his opinion of traditional medicine for PF.
Then he shows pictures with instructions on how a therapist can release the fascia or muscle (got confused). Ouch, the pictures even made me cringe.
Is this at all similar to anything any of you have went through during reflexology or massage or during your physical therapy sessions?

Re: www.mrtherapy.com

alan k on 9/02/00 at 09:33 (026947)

It is an interesting website. It makes me laugh a bit as massage therapists here in america begin to discover 2,000 year old Thai massage techniques.

Like many of these sites and products, they are 'selectively simple' in their explanations of ailments and treatments, especially when they go into explanations of why other treatments don't work. That should be a flag telling us what they are really saying is 'show me the money.'

Anyway, as you know we always wanted to get our site up with lots of pictures on Thai massage techniques for pf. The pictures are taken but not web ready. So little time available for this. Seeing the two pictures on this site maybe will get under my skin and I'll push through and get the site finished, or find time to teach Patcharee how to do it.

Salina, do those pictures really look painful to you? The guy is holding the foot at 90 degrees which should not be very painful, as even pf sufferers can go much farther.

I'll let you guys know if I ever get the Thai massage part done.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Pauline on 9/02/00 at 10:38 (026954)

Good site Selina. I learned a lot from it.

Re: some "iffy" facts

alan k on 9/02/00 at 12:28 (026960)

A couple of the iffy facts on the site which I remember are things like icing only masks the pain. Icing in fact reduces swelling and inflamation which speeds healing. He says the same thing for anit-inflammatories.

This website shows ample evidence that icing and anti-inflammatories help many people.

So why do people with products say these things? Since I have one I think I can sympathize. It may not be, as I seemed to imply above, just that they want your money. They may be sincerely interested in helping and get a little blinded by that sincerity. Instead of just explaining how there product works, or why it is better, they try to explain why all others do not work. This may just be a flaw in the marketing and does not necessarily mean the person's product or approach does not work. But we have to be attentive to when they spread disinformation about other therapies.

I believe, for instance, that this guy's treatment is effective because I have my own way of understanding how it works. It is not necessary for me to believe all other therapies are wrong in order to proceed to try muscle release techniques.

Sorry to ramble on about this, but I am starting to get a little annoyed again about the way so many try to narrow down treatment when what we need, or at least chronic cases need, is to expand treatment.

I should really take this out on my website and try to get that massage and stretching info and pictures up. Maybe it will be another of my infamous 'two weeks!'

thanks for your indulgence if you made it this far down my message,

alan k

salina on 9/02/00 at 18:37 (026984)

hi alan, you have to forgive me, cause I am scared of ANYONE touching my feet. When I went to the doctor, he kept trying to move my feet in different positions seeing if I have other ailments, loss of flexibility, etc. And I was holding my foot so tight he thought I had lost ALL movement in my foot. I had to explain it was me purposely tightening up cause he was touching my foot. Once he started explaining what he was about to do BEFORE doing it, I was a lot better.

salina on 9/02/00 at 18:45 (026985)

I thought a few of us on the board would not appreciate their way of blasting all conventional treatments. Yes, it is definately overdone. I know what you mean, it takes the combination of different things to beat this, i'm sure. I know for me, it may not be actually curing my pf, but antiinflamitories and icing are very important in me making it through the day. And doesn't he also act like you shouldn't exercise your feet muscles at all cause it tightens and shortens the muscle and fascia. That may be the case, but I think we would see a lot of unhealthy people if we all had that mentality. What about all the other muscles in our bodies? He makes it seem like strong muscles ruin the soft tissue around them. I do think he has a point that it is important to keep them stretched though.

alan k on 9/03/00 at 01:14 (027006)

Yeah the part about muscle strength is wrong and he knows it if he was trained in massage therapy. For instance, the argument that runners get pf and they have strong feet may sound good-- if you are a runner! But many of us are not and may need strength, especially if we have been out for a few weeks or months with a condition that tends us toward inactivity.

It is still an interesting site. I guess I didn't have a balance in my post. He is absolutely right about muscle flexibility, but didn't talk about the role of muscle tone in elasticity and healthy, stretchable muscle and myofascial fibers.

alan k

Denise on 9/03/00 at 06:54 (027014)

Salina, I went to the site and read the article on PF. Thought it made a lot of sense. I don't have flat feet or a high arch so I think my PF is caused by over-use (repetitive trauma). I just started to experience pain in mid-July. I am an avid tennis player (singles 4X's per week) and hill runner. Was exercising a little but now have COMPLETELY STOPPED all high impact activity because of all the case histories I've been reading about here in this website.

The one activity I do is YOGA. I've been taking a class once a week but am going to start taking 2 classes this fall. The way the foot is being stretched in the PF article on MRTHERAPY.com reminds me of the way we stretch our foot when we do leg stretches.

Barbara S. on 9/03/00 at 13:09 (027042)

I thought that it was one of the principle tenets of physical therapy and kinesiology that a stronger muscle has a greater stretch ratio! My midwife also told me this... its one of the reasons that ladies should do plenty of kegel muscle contractions before they have a baby, so they won't tear but will stretch when the baby emerges... sorry guys, maybe this is girl talk! B.

salina on 9/03/00 at 13:25 (027043)

I also think mine is a case of just plain abusing my feet. I have been told by the doctors I dont have high arches or flat feet. For me, I think part of my problem is that all my life I have started rigorous exercise or sports, for short periods of time, a few months, and then stopped for whatever reason. This has been a cycle for mostof my adult life. When I start something, I really overdo it, such as a running or aerobic program. So I'm sure my feet have been screaming at me for years and I didn't listen. Then I have had periods of sickness and stuff where I barely do any activity at all. So my feet have always been going from one extreme to the other.

The interesting thing is that my husband, if you put the factors together, shouldn't be able to walk at all. yet, he has never had any feet problems. He has the highest arches I have ever seen, its so high and deformed looking it is really gross to look at. You would just have to see his big monstrous deformed feet to understand, haha. And, he runs on his toes, which is supposed to be a nono, runs on pavement, and up hills with hardly any warm up. He does nothing right. He'll wear a pair of shoes til they fall apart. Well, not anymore because I make him get a new pair every six months now. But this man has the strongest feet, I swear, the things he can do with his feet are shocking. Which only grosses me out more. He teases me about it too cause he knows I am jealous.
So, I am definately sticking with my foot exercise program, just making sure I include plenty of stretches too.

alan k on 9/03/00 at 14:38 (027054)

thanks for the very valuable analogy. I didn't know about that but it is a very helpful (and vivid!) way of explaining it.

alan k

alan k on 9/02/00 at 09:33 (026947)

It is an interesting website. It makes me laugh a bit as massage therapists here in america begin to discover 2,000 year old Thai massage techniques.

Like many of these sites and products, they are 'selectively simple' in their explanations of ailments and treatments, especially when they go into explanations of why other treatments don't work. That should be a flag telling us what they are really saying is 'show me the money.'

Anyway, as you know we always wanted to get our site up with lots of pictures on Thai massage techniques for pf. The pictures are taken but not web ready. So little time available for this. Seeing the two pictures on this site maybe will get under my skin and I'll push through and get the site finished, or find time to teach Patcharee how to do it.

Salina, do those pictures really look painful to you? The guy is holding the foot at 90 degrees which should not be very painful, as even pf sufferers can go much farther.

I'll let you guys know if I ever get the Thai massage part done.

alan k

Pauline on 9/02/00 at 10:38 (026954)

Good site Selina. I learned a lot from it.

alan k on 9/02/00 at 12:28 (026960)

A couple of the iffy facts on the site which I remember are things like icing only masks the pain. Icing in fact reduces swelling and inflamation which speeds healing. He says the same thing for anit-inflammatories.

This website shows ample evidence that icing and anti-inflammatories help many people.

So why do people with products say these things? Since I have one I think I can sympathize. It may not be, as I seemed to imply above, just that they want your money. They may be sincerely interested in helping and get a little blinded by that sincerity. Instead of just explaining how there product works, or why it is better, they try to explain why all others do not work. This may just be a flaw in the marketing and does not necessarily mean the person's product or approach does not work. But we have to be attentive to when they spread disinformation about other therapies.

I believe, for instance, that this guy's treatment is effective because I have my own way of understanding how it works. It is not necessary for me to believe all other therapies are wrong in order to proceed to try muscle release techniques.

Sorry to ramble on about this, but I am starting to get a little annoyed again about the way so many try to narrow down treatment when what we need, or at least chronic cases need, is to expand treatment.

I should really take this out on my website and try to get that massage and stretching info and pictures up. Maybe it will be another of my infamous 'two weeks!'

thanks for your indulgence if you made it this far down my message,

alan k

salina on 9/02/00 at 18:37 (026984)

hi alan, you have to forgive me, cause I am scared of ANYONE touching my feet. When I went to the doctor, he kept trying to move my feet in different positions seeing if I have other ailments, loss of flexibility, etc. And I was holding my foot so tight he thought I had lost ALL movement in my foot. I had to explain it was me purposely tightening up cause he was touching my foot. Once he started explaining what he was about to do BEFORE doing it, I was a lot better.

salina on 9/02/00 at 18:45 (026985)

I thought a few of us on the board would not appreciate their way of blasting all conventional treatments. Yes, it is definately overdone. I know what you mean, it takes the combination of different things to beat this, i'm sure. I know for me, it may not be actually curing my pf, but antiinflamitories and icing are very important in me making it through the day. And doesn't he also act like you shouldn't exercise your feet muscles at all cause it tightens and shortens the muscle and fascia. That may be the case, but I think we would see a lot of unhealthy people if we all had that mentality. What about all the other muscles in our bodies? He makes it seem like strong muscles ruin the soft tissue around them. I do think he has a point that it is important to keep them stretched though.

alan k on 9/03/00 at 01:14 (027006)

Yeah the part about muscle strength is wrong and he knows it if he was trained in massage therapy. For instance, the argument that runners get pf and they have strong feet may sound good-- if you are a runner! But many of us are not and may need strength, especially if we have been out for a few weeks or months with a condition that tends us toward inactivity.

It is still an interesting site. I guess I didn't have a balance in my post. He is absolutely right about muscle flexibility, but didn't talk about the role of muscle tone in elasticity and healthy, stretchable muscle and myofascial fibers.

alan k

Denise on 9/03/00 at 06:54 (027014)

Salina, I went to the site and read the article on PF. Thought it made a lot of sense. I don't have flat feet or a high arch so I think my PF is caused by over-use (repetitive trauma). I just started to experience pain in mid-July. I am an avid tennis player (singles 4X's per week) and hill runner. Was exercising a little but now have COMPLETELY STOPPED all high impact activity because of all the case histories I've been reading about here in this website.

The one activity I do is YOGA. I've been taking a class once a week but am going to start taking 2 classes this fall. The way the foot is being stretched in the PF article on MRTHERAPY.com reminds me of the way we stretch our foot when we do leg stretches.

Barbara S. on 9/03/00 at 13:09 (027042)

I thought that it was one of the principle tenets of physical therapy and kinesiology that a stronger muscle has a greater stretch ratio! My midwife also told me this... its one of the reasons that ladies should do plenty of kegel muscle contractions before they have a baby, so they won't tear but will stretch when the baby emerges... sorry guys, maybe this is girl talk! B.

salina on 9/03/00 at 13:25 (027043)

I also think mine is a case of just plain abusing my feet. I have been told by the doctors I dont have high arches or flat feet. For me, I think part of my problem is that all my life I have started rigorous exercise or sports, for short periods of time, a few months, and then stopped for whatever reason. This has been a cycle for mostof my adult life. When I start something, I really overdo it, such as a running or aerobic program. So I'm sure my feet have been screaming at me for years and I didn't listen. Then I have had periods of sickness and stuff where I barely do any activity at all. So my feet have always been going from one extreme to the other.

The interesting thing is that my husband, if you put the factors together, shouldn't be able to walk at all. yet, he has never had any feet problems. He has the highest arches I have ever seen, its so high and deformed looking it is really gross to look at. You would just have to see his big monstrous deformed feet to understand, haha. And, he runs on his toes, which is supposed to be a nono, runs on pavement, and up hills with hardly any warm up. He does nothing right. He'll wear a pair of shoes til they fall apart. Well, not anymore because I make him get a new pair every six months now. But this man has the strongest feet, I swear, the things he can do with his feet are shocking. Which only grosses me out more. He teases me about it too cause he knows I am jealous.
So, I am definately sticking with my foot exercise program, just making sure I include plenty of stretches too.

alan k on 9/03/00 at 14:38 (027054)

thanks for the very valuable analogy. I didn't know about that but it is a very helpful (and vivid!) way of explaining it.

alan k