Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pardon Me While I Whine...

Posted by Joopie on 9/02/00 at 21:36 (027003)

It's good to read all these posts - makes me not feel so alone. I have had nothing but problems on my right foot after EPF in March. The right foot has had EPF too but seems to be healing alot better. Now I have pain all over my foot - sides, top, underneath, ankles, and now a tibia tendon that's strained or something. So I am in my second cast in 6 months (also got to use a cam walker - totally bionic). Even with the cast, I get pain in my foot when walking or sleeping or picking my nose... LOL. My pod doesn't want me to go to a pain group - can't figure out if it's his ego or what. Said (get this) 'You don't have chronic pain.' His words! Said being in a pain group will create a stigma... I have been accepted in a group for Wednesdays after work, so I'm going to go a few times and see if I get some ideas on dealing with this CHRONIC pain.

The cast comes off on the 14th. He said then I would just use my shoes and my orthotics. I am going on vacation (Vancouver Island) that night for 10 days. I have a feeling it isn't going to be a pain free vacation. Thought about taking my cane along. I think my pod is just wanting me to shut up and put up, and I can't see him being much help after this cast routine. I may look for another opinion. I have thought of acupuncture but the needles wig me out. Anyone give me any insight on that?

You can probably tell I'm frustrated. Pain for 2.5 years is quite enough. Pain for much longer is simply unacceptable. I work in a nursing home so I walk all day long. I know that doesn't help.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope to be an ongoing voice on this board - hope I can be a support to some of you out there as well.

-Joopie

Re: Pardon Me While I Whine...

KarenS on 9/02/00 at 21:51 (027004)

We've all whined on this board, but I like to call it venting. It does you good to get things off your chest and maybe get a helpful reply once in a while. If nothing else you at least get some support and encouragement.

Lori E. on 9/02/00 at 22:16 (027005)

Joopie,
I am sorry about what you are going thru, as you may have seen I am having a problem with my pod believing that I still have pain.
But some time ago when the chronic pain was causing me to be depressed, I finally when to a pain clinic and did a little looking on the net. From what I read at the Mayo web site and from the info I got from the pain clinic is for a diagnosis of chronic pain the patient is having pain for 6 or more months.
I can't believe your doctor doesn't want you to get some assistance in dealing with your pain. I suggest you go anyway. A pain clinic can be a great resource and support for someone in pain. Good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 07:55 (027018)

So what is the doctor plans for YOUR PAIN not his. Pain is a disease that needs to looked right in the face and handled if not it will become a chronic life problem. I had a patient very similiar that is doing very well after I send her to everyone I could think of until I do get some imput. It turns out she had lupus. Doing alot better and able to live on the proper medications. My first doctor has always been Rheumatology when I can understand what the 1!!@@## is going on and I have done all of the basic work-up for connective tissue disease such as Rheumatoid arthitisis or lupus etc. One of the things that I have learn about being a good doctor is that you mus beable to have the connection and or the resourse to help people.

AmyM on 9/03/00 at 07:57 (027020)

Take the cane, go on holiday, you may as well try to have fun when you hurt! People don't mind how often you sit down if you have a cane either!

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:44 (027031)

Acupuncture really is okay - but it's a lot easier if you're relaxed. You may be able to find someone willing to start with acupressure to see if that does the trick.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:30 (027122)

i have seen acupuncture mentioned as a mode of treatment to try for PF in several respected medial journals.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:37 (027128)

'medial'journals? what on earth is that? i meant medical journals.

KarenS on 9/02/00 at 21:51 (027004)

We've all whined on this board, but I like to call it venting. It does you good to get things off your chest and maybe get a helpful reply once in a while. If nothing else you at least get some support and encouragement.

Lori E. on 9/02/00 at 22:16 (027005)

Joopie,
I am sorry about what you are going thru, as you may have seen I am having a problem with my pod believing that I still have pain.
But some time ago when the chronic pain was causing me to be depressed, I finally when to a pain clinic and did a little looking on the net. From what I read at the Mayo web site and from the info I got from the pain clinic is for a diagnosis of chronic pain the patient is having pain for 6 or more months.
I can't believe your doctor doesn't want you to get some assistance in dealing with your pain. I suggest you go anyway. A pain clinic can be a great resource and support for someone in pain. Good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 07:55 (027018)

So what is the doctor plans for YOUR PAIN not his. Pain is a disease that needs to looked right in the face and handled if not it will become a chronic life problem. I had a patient very similiar that is doing very well after I send her to everyone I could think of until I do get some imput. It turns out she had lupus. Doing alot better and able to live on the proper medications. My first doctor has always been Rheumatology when I can understand what the 1!!@@## is going on and I have done all of the basic work-up for connective tissue disease such as Rheumatoid arthitisis or lupus etc. One of the things that I have learn about being a good doctor is that you mus beable to have the connection and or the resourse to help people.

AmyM on 9/03/00 at 07:57 (027020)

Take the cane, go on holiday, you may as well try to have fun when you hurt! People don't mind how often you sit down if you have a cane either!

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 09:44 (027031)

Acupuncture really is okay - but it's a lot easier if you're relaxed. You may be able to find someone willing to start with acupressure to see if that does the trick.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:30 (027122)

i have seen acupuncture mentioned as a mode of treatment to try for PF in several respected medial journals.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:37 (027128)

'medial'journals? what on earth is that? i meant medical journals.