Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting article on high heel shoes

Posted by wendyn on 9/03/00 at 10:38 (027035)

In our newspaper today there was an article that discussed a recent survey of working women about their footwear.

67%+ now wear flats, low heeled pumps or other comfortable shoes on the job. More than 42% reported they wear flats, over 25% wear athletic shoes and over 20% wear low heels. Less than 2% wear high heels. It also says that women who wear high heels have the highest percentage of ingrown toenails, bunions, neuromas and calluses. 3 inch heels place seven times the pressure on the forefoot as compared to a 1 inch heel.

Maybe we PF sufferers are now becoming footwear fashion trendsetters? Maybe not.

Re: Interesting article on high heel shoes

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:35 (027063)

wendy: one other stat is that women who wear high heels get 89.6% of the men.

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 17:11 (027071)

John,

From those stats, I'd say guys would do well to expand beyond high heel wearers or else be stuck with only 2% of the female population to choose from!

I was once a dedicated high heel wearer for dress up events. I never could stand them for everyday wear.

Beverly

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 17:59 (027074)

John - you are always trying to get on my nerves!!!!

Yes heels make women's legs look more shapely....

....and most men don't look in Speedo's BUT WE ARE SUBJECTED TO THEM JUST THE SAME. Nothing like a middle aged, overweight out of shape hairy man stuffing himself into a speedo four sizes too small - strutting around like he belongs in Playgirl. Yikes.

Not everything we chose to wear (or not wear) makes us more appealing to the opposite sex.

Out of all the conversations I've had with male friends, I can't recall any one of them ever commenting about a women 'Sure she's atttractive - but her shoes are too flat.'

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 22:02 (027089)

Alot of woman who go from a high heel to a lower high will either develop achilles tendonis and or plantar fasciitis secondary to achilles tendonitis. There is a law called Wolf's law that states the tendon will shorten according to stress placed on it. So since the heel cord has been placed in a shorted position by wearing heels and now you are in a lower heel there goes the start of pf and or achilles tendonits.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 22:04 (027090)

I was once quoted for an article what I though about high heels and feet. I told the report great for your leg and bad for your feet. I forgot to point out that if you stop wearing high heels you can develop pf. May I caused all of the pf in the world with that stupid statement as a younger podiatrist.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:26 (027121)

actually wendy and beverly i do not like high heel shoes. in the miss america contest nothing looks more stupid to me than a woman in high heel shoes and a bathing suit. reminds me of minny mouse. i am very much a conservative despite my sometimes shallow post. i was just bugging wendy with her 'statistical post'. as i remember i think she is in accounting which will account for her statistical mind.

wendyn on 9/04/00 at 09:33 (027125)

I know you just like to ruffle feathers John - not to worry....I always enjoy a good debate.

Hoping you're not one of those speedo guys.....

Re: Interesting, and I've never worn high heels

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 11:50 (027146)

I've never worn high heels in my life and I still have pf :-(

Aside to john, I'm engaged...and I've never worn high heels, and I dunno, but none of my girlfriends ever have either. Frankly high heels are *weird* looking to us. They also seem quite useless.

Shaira

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:24 (027158)

nothing speedy about me wendy. i wear long joe boxer shorts below my good looking knees.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:25 (027159)

Wofl's law? there is a big opening here but i will let it be.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:27 (027160)

high heels would seem comparable to a tie for a man only the tie will not damage you.

Nancy S. on 9/04/00 at 14:10 (027165)

Ya, John, but I have met many examples of men damaged MENTALLY by ties, so watch out. (Not that I'd be caught dead in high heels either.)
Nancy

john h on 9/04/00 at 16:27 (027175)

right on nancy you will never catch me in high heels either.

Re: Interesting TVeyes report........why leave the country!

Kate on 10/18/00 at 07:10 (030751)

Why would anyone want to leave the USA when they can have ESWT done right here, by the Dr. with the most experience and knowledge in the country.
The celtics just havn't been the same since they lost the Byrd, not it seems they're losing their faith in America! Go Knicks!

Scott R on 10/28/00 at 09:57 (031505)

English:
Testing ability to translate messages.
German:
Prüfenfähigkeit, Meldungen zu übersetzen.

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:35 (027063)

wendy: one other stat is that women who wear high heels get 89.6% of the men.

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 17:11 (027071)

John,

From those stats, I'd say guys would do well to expand beyond high heel wearers or else be stuck with only 2% of the female population to choose from!

I was once a dedicated high heel wearer for dress up events. I never could stand them for everyday wear.

Beverly

wendyn on 9/03/00 at 17:59 (027074)

John - you are always trying to get on my nerves!!!!

Yes heels make women's legs look more shapely....

....and most men don't look in Speedo's BUT WE ARE SUBJECTED TO THEM JUST THE SAME. Nothing like a middle aged, overweight out of shape hairy man stuffing himself into a speedo four sizes too small - strutting around like he belongs in Playgirl. Yikes.

Not everything we chose to wear (or not wear) makes us more appealing to the opposite sex.

Out of all the conversations I've had with male friends, I can't recall any one of them ever commenting about a women 'Sure she's atttractive - but her shoes are too flat.'

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 22:02 (027089)

Alot of woman who go from a high heel to a lower high will either develop achilles tendonis and or plantar fasciitis secondary to achilles tendonitis. There is a law called Wolf's law that states the tendon will shorten according to stress placed on it. So since the heel cord has been placed in a shorted position by wearing heels and now you are in a lower heel there goes the start of pf and or achilles tendonits.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 22:04 (027090)

I was once quoted for an article what I though about high heels and feet. I told the report great for your leg and bad for your feet. I forgot to point out that if you stop wearing high heels you can develop pf. May I caused all of the pf in the world with that stupid statement as a younger podiatrist.

john h on 9/04/00 at 09:26 (027121)

actually wendy and beverly i do not like high heel shoes. in the miss america contest nothing looks more stupid to me than a woman in high heel shoes and a bathing suit. reminds me of minny mouse. i am very much a conservative despite my sometimes shallow post. i was just bugging wendy with her 'statistical post'. as i remember i think she is in accounting which will account for her statistical mind.

wendyn on 9/04/00 at 09:33 (027125)

I know you just like to ruffle feathers John - not to worry....I always enjoy a good debate.

Hoping you're not one of those speedo guys.....

Shaira on 9/04/00 at 11:50 (027146)

I've never worn high heels in my life and I still have pf :-(

Aside to john, I'm engaged...and I've never worn high heels, and I dunno, but none of my girlfriends ever have either. Frankly high heels are *weird* looking to us. They also seem quite useless.

Shaira

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:24 (027158)

nothing speedy about me wendy. i wear long joe boxer shorts below my good looking knees.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:25 (027159)

Wofl's law? there is a big opening here but i will let it be.

john h on 9/04/00 at 13:27 (027160)

high heels would seem comparable to a tie for a man only the tie will not damage you.

Nancy S. on 9/04/00 at 14:10 (027165)

Ya, John, but I have met many examples of men damaged MENTALLY by ties, so watch out. (Not that I'd be caught dead in high heels either.)
Nancy

john h on 9/04/00 at 16:27 (027175)

right on nancy you will never catch me in high heels either.

Kate on 10/18/00 at 07:10 (030751)

Why would anyone want to leave the USA when they can have ESWT done right here, by the Dr. with the most experience and knowledge in the country.
The celtics just havn't been the same since they lost the Byrd, not it seems they're losing their faith in America! Go Knicks!

Scott R on 10/28/00 at 09:57 (031505)

English:
Testing ability to translate messages.
German:
Prüfenfähigkeit, Meldungen zu übersetzen.