Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orbasone Treatment

Posted by Bob Ray on 9/03/00 at 13:50 (027051)

Just plunked down $2000 for Orbasone treatment from Mike Shapow in LA(www.myheelpain.com)for treatment of pain in both feet and right shoulder. It's been 48 hours since the treatment and can't say I am better or worse. As long as I don't do anything I feel fine. The more I'm on my feet the worse it gets. Over the past two years I have had advice and treatment from 4 PTs , 3 orthopedic surgions, 2 podiatrists, 3 massage therapists, 2 accupuncturists, 1 Cranial Osteopathist and 2 Neurologists and an excercise physiologist. They all contradict each other. I've had 1 surgery for Tarsal Tunnel nerve release, 1 MRI, 1 bone scan several X-rays. I still don't know whether I have Tarsal Tunnel or Plantars Faciitis or what. Insurance hasn't covered me, so I'm into this for about $20,000 and counting. I'm 58, 5'10', 165 lbs and generally healthy.Before this condition I was on my feet about 50% of the time and played tennis daily. Now I'm down to sitting and walking with crutches. If there is anyone who has been successfully thru the Orbasone treatment, please let me know what I can do to help the odds of improvement.
Thanks for reading,
Bob (Footfault) Ray

Re: Orbasone Treatment

john h on 9/03/00 at 15:25 (027057)

bob: do you know what KV and the number of shockwaves the dr put into your foot? it has been 9 days since my orbasone in both feet. at about 4-5 days they felt somewhat better and as of today are still better. what did the dr tell you to do in the way of activity after your treatment? call and ask the doc what kv setting he used if he did not tell you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:16 (027075)

Go to the progress reports and look up orbasone patients that i have treated . The directions I give are no long distance running for pf treatment. For shoulder no heavy lifting. Good Luck . Will give you as much informatin as possible. There is probaby a post-op procedure directions to be followed . Did you get one.???

Bob Ray on 9/04/00 at 15:24 (027172)

Thanks for your quick response. I'll check out the recommended procedures.
It has now been 72 hours since Orbasone treatment on both feet and shoulder. I tried simulating the treatment recommended in the http://www.mrtherapy.com web site, by putting my toes at right angles up against a wall and pressing down on a tennis ball against the middle of my arch. Either that or the orbasone treatment or both is starting to help my right foot. But, because my condition usually worsens as the day goes on, I could be speaking too quickly.
The settings on the right foot(the bad one) were 20 KV(ideal?). The left one could only tolerate 17 KV and shoulder was 18 KV. He only hit the front of the shoulder, but now the back of the shoulder hurts like hell. Could be the message I self-administered.
I expect to get the 2nd treatment this Thursday.

john h on 9/04/00 at 16:21 (027174)

dr z: sounds like bob had about the same kv settings as i did and he is going back for a 2nd treatment this thrusday. is that unusual? since most of what i read about eswt is it takes about 12 weeks to achieve max results from a single treatment unless it is a very low setting.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 18:05 (027177)

He didn't get any anesthesia. I don't think that the amount of shocks were the same. Last. time I heard from another patient on this board. The treatment was 1500 shocks one week apart. I have spoken to the inventor our teacher about this in the past. I think I am the ony one doing it the way he taught us. The results are different for each orbasone site. He wanted to know why mine were better. He also felt that at least 80% was the passing grade for ESWT. I passed.!!!!. This is going to happen with any new technology. Even with one on one training you will have the doctor do what he wants to do.

Bob Ray on 9/05/00 at 14:19 (027262)

It's now 96 hours since my first orbasone treatment. Worked in the yard yesterday evening. Feeling better up to that point. The extra time on my feet and the lifting may have set me back. Not as pain free today as yesterday at this time.
I can change my Thursday appointment if you think it is too soon. But Mike said the 2nd treatment should be done the sooner the better.
What is the manufacturer's recommended settings, duration and interval between treatments? I've looked all over this site and can't find them.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 16:28 (027287)

This is for feet and feet only. 16-18 kv 3000 shocks

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:14 (027327)

dr z: even with the shots the first 5 shock waves were zingers and then as you predicted there was no further pain. I wonder if you did not give a shot if the pain would go away after the first 5-10 shocks?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:34 (027330)

You couldn't take the shots needed to take the pain away in this area.
If would take about 100-150 shots for the pain to go away without anesthesia.

john h on 9/06/00 at 10:27 (027376)

forget my question i will take the pain free shots!

Bob Ray on 9/06/00 at 19:51 (027419)

I surmise from all this, that without anesthetic the number and amplitude of shots is reduced and therefore the interval between treatments has to be reduced. Since Mike is a PT, I guess that he isn't authorized to give pain killing shots. Thus the reduced intensity and interval. What are the consequences doing it this way?

john h on 9/03/00 at 15:25 (027057)

bob: do you know what KV and the number of shockwaves the dr put into your foot? it has been 9 days since my orbasone in both feet. at about 4-5 days they felt somewhat better and as of today are still better. what did the dr tell you to do in the way of activity after your treatment? call and ask the doc what kv setting he used if he did not tell you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:16 (027075)

Go to the progress reports and look up orbasone patients that i have treated . The directions I give are no long distance running for pf treatment. For shoulder no heavy lifting. Good Luck . Will give you as much informatin as possible. There is probaby a post-op procedure directions to be followed . Did you get one.???

Bob Ray on 9/04/00 at 15:24 (027172)

Thanks for your quick response. I'll check out the recommended procedures.
It has now been 72 hours since Orbasone treatment on both feet and shoulder. I tried simulating the treatment recommended in the http://www.mrtherapy.com web site, by putting my toes at right angles up against a wall and pressing down on a tennis ball against the middle of my arch. Either that or the orbasone treatment or both is starting to help my right foot. But, because my condition usually worsens as the day goes on, I could be speaking too quickly.
The settings on the right foot(the bad one) were 20 KV(ideal?). The left one could only tolerate 17 KV and shoulder was 18 KV. He only hit the front of the shoulder, but now the back of the shoulder hurts like hell. Could be the message I self-administered.
I expect to get the 2nd treatment this Thursday.

john h on 9/04/00 at 16:21 (027174)

dr z: sounds like bob had about the same kv settings as i did and he is going back for a 2nd treatment this thrusday. is that unusual? since most of what i read about eswt is it takes about 12 weeks to achieve max results from a single treatment unless it is a very low setting.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/04/00 at 18:05 (027177)

He didn't get any anesthesia. I don't think that the amount of shocks were the same. Last. time I heard from another patient on this board. The treatment was 1500 shocks one week apart. I have spoken to the inventor our teacher about this in the past. I think I am the ony one doing it the way he taught us. The results are different for each orbasone site. He wanted to know why mine were better. He also felt that at least 80% was the passing grade for ESWT. I passed.!!!!. This is going to happen with any new technology. Even with one on one training you will have the doctor do what he wants to do.

Bob Ray on 9/05/00 at 14:19 (027262)

It's now 96 hours since my first orbasone treatment. Worked in the yard yesterday evening. Feeling better up to that point. The extra time on my feet and the lifting may have set me back. Not as pain free today as yesterday at this time.
I can change my Thursday appointment if you think it is too soon. But Mike said the 2nd treatment should be done the sooner the better.
What is the manufacturer's recommended settings, duration and interval between treatments? I've looked all over this site and can't find them.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 16:28 (027287)

This is for feet and feet only. 16-18 kv 3000 shocks

john h on 9/05/00 at 19:14 (027327)

dr z: even with the shots the first 5 shock waves were zingers and then as you predicted there was no further pain. I wonder if you did not give a shot if the pain would go away after the first 5-10 shocks?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/00 at 19:34 (027330)

You couldn't take the shots needed to take the pain away in this area.
If would take about 100-150 shots for the pain to go away without anesthesia.

john h on 9/06/00 at 10:27 (027376)

forget my question i will take the pain free shots!

Bob Ray on 9/06/00 at 19:51 (027419)

I surmise from all this, that without anesthetic the number and amplitude of shots is reduced and therefore the interval between treatments has to be reduced. Since Mike is a PT, I guess that he isn't authorized to give pain killing shots. Thus the reduced intensity and interval. What are the consequences doing it this way?