Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back to the drawing board

Posted by Paula on 9/03/00 at 14:22 (027053)

hi . new to pf, new to computers. tried to post a message but didn't see it. trying again. was in wheelchair from this thing, made a little progress, got out of chair. woke up this morning all progress gone. back in chair. night splint set at 5 degrees dorsiflection worn one night seem to have created set back. am depressed. in less than 2 months have seen two useless podiatrists and have devices and shoes suggested here that do no good so far. sigh. but aprreciate the company, the caring people, the good advice and hope to join the followship so as not to feel so alone. am house bound now, totally.

Re: back to the drawing board

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:34 (027062)

lots of support here paula. how long have you had pf? are you seeing a dr and what is he telling you? this takes a while to cure so have some patience and recognize that 90% of PF sufferers get a complete cure. help is as close as your computer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:27 (027079)

I know you don't know me but in the past twenty years i have never seen a patient in a wheel chair for pf. Other condition need to be checked out period. The pain of pf is very real and very bad. But we need to find out what is causing this pain. No one should have to be in a wheelchair . The doctors must take this seriously and find out why why why.

KarenS on 9/03/00 at 18:48 (027082)

Dear Paula: I hear you on all of the above. I also need a wheelchair if I want to leave the house, which you have to or you'll go stir crazy.

Try to find things to keep you occupied, it really helps with the depression.

Karen

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 22:41 (027093)

Paula,

I too was fairly new to the internet when I came here. Sad to say it has been over 5 months. You will find this message board both insightful and supportive. I have gainned lots of valuable information. If you do searches on specific topics, like 'nightsplints,' you can view a long history of our nightsplint conversations, ect.

I am so sorry to hear you are in a wheelchair. Do you have an orthopedic surgeon who focuses on the lower body? After trying many pods and more than one ortho, I decided that at least for me, an orthopedic sports med doctor who specializes in the lower body was the best way to go.

I have not tried the nightsplints... thinking about them...

What I have found here more than anything is hope. When I think I have tried everything, and feel hopeless, I learn about something new.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 9/04/00 at 12:48 (027151)

Paula --- I agree with Beverly. Sports Medicine is the way to go. Find a Sports Medicine practice associated with a hospital. Get a thorough evaluation & ask about physical therapy. Consider getting an anti-depressant (ask your doctor) as part of your program. As John said, you have a 90%+ chance of full recovery. So get going!

Judy B on 9/06/00 at 10:27 (027377)

Paula: You're not alone! I too have been in and out of a wheelchair and am pretty much homebound. Very depressing. My orthopedic doctor was not happy that I was using a w/c stating it's not good for your bones, heart, mind. I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible and try to walk short distances only then resting. It's so hard not knowing if what you're doing is going to hurt or help!

john h on 9/03/00 at 16:34 (027062)

lots of support here paula. how long have you had pf? are you seeing a dr and what is he telling you? this takes a while to cure so have some patience and recognize that 90% of PF sufferers get a complete cure. help is as close as your computer.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:27 (027079)

I know you don't know me but in the past twenty years i have never seen a patient in a wheel chair for pf. Other condition need to be checked out period. The pain of pf is very real and very bad. But we need to find out what is causing this pain. No one should have to be in a wheelchair . The doctors must take this seriously and find out why why why.

KarenS on 9/03/00 at 18:48 (027082)

Dear Paula: I hear you on all of the above. I also need a wheelchair if I want to leave the house, which you have to or you'll go stir crazy.

Try to find things to keep you occupied, it really helps with the depression.

Karen

Beverly on 9/03/00 at 22:41 (027093)

Paula,

I too was fairly new to the internet when I came here. Sad to say it has been over 5 months. You will find this message board both insightful and supportive. I have gainned lots of valuable information. If you do searches on specific topics, like 'nightsplints,' you can view a long history of our nightsplint conversations, ect.

I am so sorry to hear you are in a wheelchair. Do you have an orthopedic surgeon who focuses on the lower body? After trying many pods and more than one ortho, I decided that at least for me, an orthopedic sports med doctor who specializes in the lower body was the best way to go.

I have not tried the nightsplints... thinking about them...

What I have found here more than anything is hope. When I think I have tried everything, and feel hopeless, I learn about something new.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 9/04/00 at 12:48 (027151)

Paula --- I agree with Beverly. Sports Medicine is the way to go. Find a Sports Medicine practice associated with a hospital. Get a thorough evaluation & ask about physical therapy. Consider getting an anti-depressant (ask your doctor) as part of your program. As John said, you have a 90%+ chance of full recovery. So get going!

Judy B on 9/06/00 at 10:27 (027377)

Paula: You're not alone! I too have been in and out of a wheelchair and am pretty much homebound. Very depressing. My orthopedic doctor was not happy that I was using a w/c stating it's not good for your bones, heart, mind. I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible and try to walk short distances only then resting. It's so hard not knowing if what you're doing is going to hurt or help!