Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Z what does this article mean??

Posted by AmyM on 9/03/00 at 15:22 (027056)

I found this article, I think it is saying that defects in mobility of your big toe joint puts strain on your feet and can lead to pf. Am I correct?

http://www.starhosting.net/podiatry/articles/wernick.htm

Re: Dr Z what does this article mean??

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:21 (027076)

Lack of movement in the big toe joint can cause strain on the plantar fascia and be a factor in plantar fasciitis. This is something that if you have an orthosis with either a morton extention or cut out of the first ray needs to be addes.. So if the big toe joint can't bend down to touch the floor in the walking cycle the plantar facia willbe pullted too much or at the wrong time.

Dr. Biehler on 9/03/00 at 18:26 (027078)

I hope you don't mind me answering. I recieved my first training in biomechanics from Justin Wernick the auther of this article. There is also a small book published on functional hallux limitus. You are right in your apprasial of the article. Dr. Wernick and alot of other doctors believe that functional hallux limitus can result in plantar fascitiis. There are different modifications that can be done to orthotics that will help compensate and restore a more functional relationship of this joint. I have also watched Dr. Wernick distract then snap the big toe resulting in a much freer joint range of motion. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:32 (027081)

I thank you Dr. Biehler. I would like to read this book. I have manipulated the big toe joint while waiting for functional orthosis with good temporary results while waiting for the orthosis arrive from the lab. In a very very selective cases I have done a very small lengthening of th pf at the level of the distal fascia. I have two cases over five years old. The release was very slight into the medial band. It made the pf painfree. There was no crepitation or damage to the joint before I did this.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:21 (027076)

Lack of movement in the big toe joint can cause strain on the plantar fascia and be a factor in plantar fasciitis. This is something that if you have an orthosis with either a morton extention or cut out of the first ray needs to be addes.. So if the big toe joint can't bend down to touch the floor in the walking cycle the plantar facia willbe pullted too much or at the wrong time.

Dr. Biehler on 9/03/00 at 18:26 (027078)

I hope you don't mind me answering. I recieved my first training in biomechanics from Justin Wernick the auther of this article. There is also a small book published on functional hallux limitus. You are right in your apprasial of the article. Dr. Wernick and alot of other doctors believe that functional hallux limitus can result in plantar fascitiis. There are different modifications that can be done to orthotics that will help compensate and restore a more functional relationship of this joint. I have also watched Dr. Wernick distract then snap the big toe resulting in a much freer joint range of motion. Dr. Biehler

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:32 (027081)

I thank you Dr. Biehler. I would like to read this book. I have manipulated the big toe joint while waiting for functional orthosis with good temporary results while waiting for the orthosis arrive from the lab. In a very very selective cases I have done a very small lengthening of th pf at the level of the distal fascia. I have two cases over five years old. The release was very slight into the medial band. It made the pf painfree. There was no crepitation or damage to the joint before I did this.