Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TO LORI: A NEW IDEA

Posted by Beverly on 9/03/00 at 17:03 (027069)

Lori,

Your story has bugged me more than any sad PF tale I have read here in a good long while. I hope that you have secured that handicap sticker, and don't give up until go get one.

I have an idea for you for getting around campus. It might not solve your problems this semester, but it could go a long way to helping next semester.

I too am thinking about going back to school next semester. When I do, I am going to contact the disabilty department at the university. According to my school catalog, it says that the disability department will work to accomodate student needs as much as possible. In my case, this is what I am going to try to get:
1. I am going to try to order my textbooks over the phone, and then pick them up at the cash register. That way I will not have to be on my feet looking for my books and standing in line.
2. Register online. (I went to school in the 'dark ages' when we actually had to 'run' for our classes. That meant standing in line in the gym... a line for each class I wanted to take. Thank God those days are gone!)
3. Arrange to get my student I.D. without standing in a line.

4. Call ahead to the library when I need to check out a book and have that book pulled and waiting for me. Once again, less time on feet.
Most schools have the libary online today. I have not used that, because once again, I went to school long before anyone had thought of such an idea, but with an online library, there should be no reason to have to wander around looking for a book.

Keep us posted. I want to hear when you get that handicap sticker.

Beverly

Re: TO LORI: A NEW IDEA

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:23 (027077)

I gave Lori the note to use in her thread but I guess she never saw it. This was so ridiculous that I just wrote the note and told her to print it.

Lori E. on 9/03/00 at 23:03 (027095)

Dr. Z and Beverly,(and to everyone else who posted earlier)
I got the note and printed it out. Thank you, thank you, thank you!Unfortunately over the weekend nobody is around to help with the sticker, so I will work on that on Tues. I will be bringing it to my pain clinic as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your help and understanding, Dr. Z. I will be giving you a call for a referal this week for another podiatrist. I am so very grateful for all you do for me and everyone else on this board.
Beverly, I tried to get my books on-line and they weren't available. So I just gave up and went to the store on Fri. School doesn't start until Tues., so I figured that I would have less of a crowd to fight. I guess other students had that idea too. With my ID I had to get my picture taken, so I couldn't get around that one. As for registering on-line, I had to go to the computer center to get my online id and password activated. I hope you don't run into these problems, but just be aware that there are out there when you return to school. Try to work on them further ahead of time then I did maybe.
I will be contacting the 'U's disability department this week too, that was a great idea. Thanks for putting so much thought into this. I am sorry I didn't respond earlier to the other posts, but I was upset and trying to figure out my options, and then my Dad came into town for a visit and I got caught up with that. I really do appreciate your help and concern. I don't feel so hopeless now. I now have some avenues to take on Tues. when everyone goes back to work. I will say it again, thank you so much!

Steve P on 9/04/00 at 12:34 (027148)

Good for you, Lori. Every little bit helps, everything you can do to help the healing process. You'll get there!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/03/00 at 18:23 (027077)

I gave Lori the note to use in her thread but I guess she never saw it. This was so ridiculous that I just wrote the note and told her to print it.

Lori E. on 9/03/00 at 23:03 (027095)

Dr. Z and Beverly,(and to everyone else who posted earlier)
I got the note and printed it out. Thank you, thank you, thank you!Unfortunately over the weekend nobody is around to help with the sticker, so I will work on that on Tues. I will be bringing it to my pain clinic as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your help and understanding, Dr. Z. I will be giving you a call for a referal this week for another podiatrist. I am so very grateful for all you do for me and everyone else on this board.
Beverly, I tried to get my books on-line and they weren't available. So I just gave up and went to the store on Fri. School doesn't start until Tues., so I figured that I would have less of a crowd to fight. I guess other students had that idea too. With my ID I had to get my picture taken, so I couldn't get around that one. As for registering on-line, I had to go to the computer center to get my online id and password activated. I hope you don't run into these problems, but just be aware that there are out there when you return to school. Try to work on them further ahead of time then I did maybe.
I will be contacting the 'U's disability department this week too, that was a great idea. Thanks for putting so much thought into this. I am sorry I didn't respond earlier to the other posts, but I was upset and trying to figure out my options, and then my Dad came into town for a visit and I got caught up with that. I really do appreciate your help and concern. I don't feel so hopeless now. I now have some avenues to take on Tues. when everyone goes back to work. I will say it again, thank you so much!

Steve P on 9/04/00 at 12:34 (027148)

Good for you, Lori. Every little bit helps, everything you can do to help the healing process. You'll get there!