Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Response to Barbara re nerve conductinon tests and NOTE TO SCOTT

Posted by wendyn on 9/03/00 at 17:53 (027073)

I don't seem to be able to use the reply to post button - Scott is something broke?

We've had some detailed discussion on nerve conduction tests - not sure where it went. This is what I wrote up to include on the TTS write up that I will finish one day....

Excerpt...

What is Nerve Conduction Testing? Does it hurt?

A neurologist usually administers nerve conduction tests. During this test, electrodes are placed at various spots along the nerves in the legs and feet. Both sensory and motor nerves are tested at different locations. Electrical impulses are sent through the nerve and the speed and intensity at which they travel is measured. If there is compression in the tunnel, this can be confirmed and pin pointed with this test. Many doctors do not feel that this test is necessarily a reliable way to rule out TTS. Some research indicates that nerve conduction tests will be normal in at least 50% of the cases. It is very possible to have TTS without a positive nerve conduction test. Many doctors feel that this test is unnecessary and often not helpful with diagnosis.

Whether or not it hurts seems to depend on a number of factors. There is a component to the test that isn't always done it involves inserting needles under the skin. The universal opinion (by the people I've talked to) is that this portion of the test causes substantial pain. Ask your doctor if this part of the test will be required.

For the electrodes themselves, the degree of pain experienced seems to depend on the type of machine used (there are different kinds), the skill of the technician, as well as the stress and pain threshold level of the patient. Try to relax as much as possible during the test, and discuss any concerns you have with the technician or your doctor.

(Writer's note: I've had this test twice on both my hands and feet and I would describe it as mildly uncomfortable not painful but I didn't have the needles either).

Re: I'm not aware of a reply to post problem

Scott R on 9/03/00 at 18:29 (027080)

All links seem to work fine for me. But some of those reply to post links open a new window: if you previously opened a new window, then the post is in the new window, but you may still be looking at the old window. I need this kind of feedback, but please post website design stuff in the social message board.

Re: I'm not aware of a reply to post problem

Scott R on 9/03/00 at 18:29 (027080)

All links seem to work fine for me. But some of those reply to post links open a new window: if you previously opened a new window, then the post is in the new window, but you may still be looking at the old window. I need this kind of feedback, but please post website design stuff in the social message board.